Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 07-01-2007, 15:58   #1
24-7Soldier
Asset

Path to SF?

Hello,

I've been in the Army for just about a year now (I've already made the required introductory post). Recently I've become more and more interested in Special Forces. The main reasons why I want SF is because I love the Special Forces mission, and because I want to work with soldiers who have integrity, maturity, and actually exert themselves mentally to understand their mission (not much exertion, really, and that's the sad part).

It isn't clear to me how much time you must have left in your enlistment contract before going to SFAS. The earliest I would go would probably be in 9-12 months, when I would have just 2 years left in my contract. I will absolutely re-enlist, no matter what; I just don't want to have to spend several additional years in the conventional Army.

I've heard some people say that you should go Ranger before attempting SF. Is that a good idea? I'm currently 25 years old; I don't want to have to wait until I'm 35 or so. Even though it's not uncommon for soldiers to go through SFAS in their 30's.
24-7Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 16:09   #2
jevo1976
Quiet Professional

Brother everything you want to know about SF and SFAS that doesn't violate Opsec is most likely found somewhere on this forum. Try using the SEARCH function. It's your friend.
jevo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 16:18   #3
Kyobanim

24-7soldier

Everything you're asking has been answered on this forum already.

The search button is your friend. Become one with it.

Prepare for incomming . . .

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 17:00   #4
jbour13
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim
24-7soldier

Everything you're asking has been answered on this forum already.

The search button is your friend. Become one with it.

Prepare for incomming . . .
I'm currently co-located with the young lad, should I walk the rounds in and conduct BDA, or let the mind wander??

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 18:32   #5
24-7Soldier
Asset

I am well aware of the rule to search for info on the forums before asking about it. However, after many days of searching for it, I continued to be unsuccessful. So I thought I would ask.

I want to know if I have to re-enlist before going to SFAS.

Can some at least point me in the right direction, i.e., what search parameters will get me the info desired, other than enlistment, enlist, re-enlist, SFAS, etc.?
Old 07-01-2007, 18:47   #6
triguy18e
Quiet Professional

If you want legitimate answers go directly to the source. Call the SF recruiter at Ft Bragg.

http://www.bragg.army.mil/specialforces/contact.htm

If you are worried about reenlistment obligations, SF is probably not for you.

Have a nice day,

M

SFA: M-11269 LIFE

As one veteran of Operation White Star described the situation: “We were teaching too many subordinates over there (Vietnam) when we should have been teaching the superiors. Why teach the lower-grade people when higher-ups don’t know how to utilize the skills taught? It’s a waste of time.”

Special Warfare, June 2002, Vol. 15, No. , P. 49-50
triguy18e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 19:03   #7
24-7Soldier
Asset

I am going to re-enlist no matter what - multiple times. I will be a career soldier. I just want to know if I have to wait a few years before applying for SF because of the need to re-enlist before doing so.

Never mind. I'll just make sure that I only post comments (if any) in the future, since one more bad question will get me kicked out, as per the rules.
Old 07-01-2007, 19:05   #8
Kyobanim

Here's a thread you need to read, including the attachments and add on links.
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ead.php?t=5376

Let me ask you a question. When you fail the Course you will need to spend the rest of your enlistment in the regular Army. Are you prepaired for that?

Notice I said when you fail, not if. I said when because it seems to me that you want someone to do your work for you. You've been here what, a week? You haven't been here long enough to properly research your question. Did you even bother to contact the SF recruiter? You need to be just a little bit more resourceful.

Why don't you spend the next 3 weeks researching this question and post your findings here so the next poor soul doesn't have to go through this. If, at the end of 3 weeks you can't find the answer, I will get it for you.

I changed my mind. I just spent 2 minutes searching and found your answer. I think you could have done this if you would have applied yourself to the task at hand. Think about it.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ing+enlistment

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Optimus Prime

Last edited by Kyobanim; 07-01-2007 at 19:13.
Old 07-01-2007, 19:25   #9
24-7Soldier
Asset

I actually read that thread before I joined. I've actually been visiting this website daily for the last 2.5 weeks, not just 1 (even though that still is only a short time).

I will take you up on your offer and research it for an additional three more weeks. Although I will take special care not to ask a single question when I report back.

Am I prepared to spend the rest of my enlistment in the conventional Army? Absolutely. I plan on staying in the military for decades, not just for a single enlistment. It would be foolish for anyone to expect to complete SFAS, let alone the Q-course, too. The odds are distinctively not in anyone's favor.

It seems pointless to contact a SF recruiter when I won't be applying for SF for another year, at the minimum (more like 2 or 3). You might then wonder why in the world am I asking for? Well, I just wanted to know.
Old 07-01-2007, 19:27   #10
Kyobanim

What thread? This thread? http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ing+enlistment

Optimus Prime
Old 07-01-2007, 19:34   #11
jbour13
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-7Soldier
I actually read that thread before I joined. I've actually been visiting this website daily for the last 2.5 weeks, not just 1 (even though that still is only a short time).

I will take you up on your offer and research it for an additional three more weeks. Although I will take special care not to ask a single question when I report back.

Am I prepared to spend the rest of my enlistment in the conventional Army? Absolutely. I plan on staying in the military for decades, not just for a single enlistment. It would be foolish for anyone to expect to complete SFAS, let alone the Q-course, too. The odds are distinctively not in anyone's favor.

It seems pointless to contact a SF recruiter when I won't be applying for SF for another year, at the minimum (more like 2 or 3). You might then wonder why in the world am I asking for? Well, I just wanted to know.
It is never too early to start familiarizing your self with the standards that are expected of you in SFAS or any other training. Walk in there blind, the cadre have got theirs.

If you can't apply for another year fine, you can still talk with a recruiter and get yourself in shape. Trust me bubba, I've seen the attitude and PT done here at the unit level, you are not even close. For a 98 Chuck, you are really not utilizing your brain much. Keep it up.....you are not going to get anywhere.

I will tell you based on your short life here that you've not displayed a common theme that I've witnessed among the Quiet Professionals and that is maturity.

SSG B out

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 19:50   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

24-7:

You are coming across as argumentative and lazy or lacking in motivation. That thread should have taken you only moments to find, especially for someone who has been here for weeks. Aren't you supposed to be an Intel soldier?

If you wait to try, you may be injured or unable to hack it by the time you do. Put in your packet, and if you get selected, reenlist and be done with it. If not, do as you wish. You will not get anywhere sitting around and wondering.

I have to be concerned by a potential soldier who would solicit info or advice from someone on the internet he does not even know, but is afraid to visit the SF recruiter, who will guarantee his answer and put it in writing. It will not cost you anything to ask him, and it is his job to give you the right answer.

Be man enough to cowboy up and find out. Do it, or quit talking about it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 18:35   #13
24-7Soldier
Asset

Hello,

I first would like to apologize. As the thread evolved, I exhibited unprofessional behavior and wrongfully allowed my emotions to influence my actions. Being in the Army has actually helped me a great deal in reducing my unprofessionalism, and as you can see, there is still more work to be done.

I also apologize for not finding the thread on my own. That was impatience, which is my biggest mental fault.

Despite my behavior, thank you for helping me to understand the true situation. But I could have figured it out on my own - and should have.

The reason I haven't contacted a recruiter is because I have a different viewpoint. I didn't visit an Army recruiter until i had 100% decided to join the Army. I'm the kind of person who strongly prefers to do all the research on their own (despite strong evidence to the contrary). I wasn't planning on hooking up with a SF recruiter until I was ready. Also, when I will be ready, I will be on a different continent. Maybe it's wrong, but I view recruiters more as access points to the system.

Well, that's enough from me. I will now shift back to a spectator on this site (and go run 4.5 miles in a few minutes).
Old 07-02-2007, 19:55   #14
7624U
Quiet Professional

Sign this Red Card..
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 20:26   #15
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U
Sign this Red Card..

Priceless!

I miss those days.......

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote