Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Team Sergeant's Office > Your Rucksack is in the Hall

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 19:09   #1
BeauG
FTFSI

Need Advice Please.

Hello,

My name is Beau and I am 17 at Seneca High School in Louisville, Ky. Im am a Jr. and I am in MCROTC and I am also on the Wrestling team. I have dreamed of being in the military my enitre life, its all I want in the world. My major goal in life is to be in CAG. I know that you can't enlist for this unit, they chose you. So my plan (was) to do the 18x contract. But recently the enlistment age has gotten changed from 18-20, so thats out of the question. After that happend I looked into 11x Option 40 (Ranger Contract), which this looks like a great path to take to, I would go to Basic, Ait, Airborne, RIP, by the time all this was over I would be around 19-20, then I could put an application in for SF.
Being in MCROTC I am constantly harrased about wanting to join the Army. They say the Marines are the best way to go, and to go Force Recon. But I am worried that if I went Recon then I wouldnt have a short at my Dream (CAG). I know CAG recruits from Seals, Rangers, SF, Recon, but they mostly rect. from Ragners and SF. I was just wondering if you all could help compare these two units, not which is better. Aslo if you could give me your advice on what you would do in my situation.

Thanks, Beau Gadegaard
Old 10-27-2005, 19:20   #2
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauG
Aslo if you could give me your advice on what you would do in my situation.

Thanks, Beau Gadegaard

Beau,

Read the stickies and head all of the warnings finally post an intro in the appropriate thread. As far as career advice goes....start small then work your way up and out.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck, "The Law"
Old 10-27-2005, 19:33   #3
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

Beau,

I'm 25, finishing college, no prior service.

I recommend that you finish High School and then go to college.

SF will still be there for you at 22.

I don't know you, but when I was 17 I had similar dreams and aspirations. I am much happier that I've waited a few years and gained some perspective. You can't know until you've lived it, but age can be your friend.

But that's just me and my .02.

Regards,
Aric

P.S. Do read the stickies, fill out your profile, and post an intro. Also check this out... http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...splay.php?f=98
Old 10-27-2005, 19:35   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Grow up and prove that you can do something before setting your sights too high.

You could start by reading a bit here before posting, starting with the stickies and intros.

Introduce yourself in the proper area as well. And fill out your profile, as we ask everyone to do in the Introductions thread.

You lack of attention to detail and abysmal situational awareness here indicate that you post before reading, shoot before looking, and that your chance at SF is remote at best. You didn't read the title of the SF Questions Forum, or the cleverly disguised "Read and Heed!!" thread stickied at the top. You are one lazy kid.

Finally, no one here is going to tell you anything about classified units. You violate OPSEC by mentioning them here, and the units take note of that.

Good luck, this thread is closed.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 10-27-2005, 19:37   #5
Kyobanim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauG
Hello,

My name is Beau and I am 17 at Seneca High School in Louisville, Ky. Im am a Jr. and I am in MCROTC and I am also on the Wrestling team. I have dreamed of being in the military my enitre life, its all I want in the world. My major goal in life is to be in CAG. I know that you can't enlist for this unit, they chose you. So my plan (was) to do the 18x contract. But recently the enlistment age has gotten changed from 18-20, so thats out of the question. After that happend I looked into 11x Option 40 (Ranger Contract), which this looks like a great path to take to, I would go to Basic, Ait, Airborne, RIP, by the time all this was over I would be around 19-20, then I could put an application in for SF.
Being in MCROTC I am constantly harrased about wanting to join the Army. They say the Marines are the best way to go, and to go Force Recon. But I am worried that if I went Recon then I wouldnt have a short at my Dream (CAG). I know CAG recruits from Seals, Rangers, SF, Recon, but they mostly rect. from Ragners and SF. I was just wondering if you all could help compare these two units, not which is better. Aslo if you could give me your advice on what you would do in my situation.

Thanks, Beau Gadegaard
Here's your advice

Don't post here again until you read every sticky and every topic on this board.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Old 10-27-2005, 19:47   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Looks like there were more people who wanted to offer advice, so this is reopened.

BeauG, do not post again till you have read every intro and sticky on this board.

Then fill in your profile and put one post in the Introductions thread. Indicate that you have read all of the rules and know how to use the Search function here.

After that wait 30 days before posting again.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 10-27-2005, 20:54   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Don't HS students dream of getting laid anymore?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 10-27-2005, 21:39   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Don't HS students dream of getting laid anymore?
No, it appears that they have already planned their successes for the next 20 years after high school.

No plan survives contact with the enemy. Or the real world.

It amazes me that kids who have done nothing yet in life other than get out of bed and shuffle to school for a few hours each day think that they can just want to join an elite unit, and we have to take them. Probably exacerbated by a society that makes victimization and entitlement a lifestyle, and discourages honest feedback and acceptance of personal responsibility.

Arrogance and stupidity are a dangerous combination.

TR

Closed Thread