Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 07-25-2010, 14:08   #31
nmap
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by akv View Post
Seriously though, life is stranger than fiction, it would seem hard to pass up for the MSM, but then I'm still baffled by the lack of immediate response to Nogales...
If you haven't done so, please try an experiment. Sit down and watch the evening national news on television. Make sure you won't be disturbed for the 30 minutes this will take. If you'd like, get a small pad of paper and a pen to make a few notes.

Now, watch the news. Only, instead of concentrating on the stories and what they say, look at the content of the newscast objectively. I believe you'll find some interesting results.

First, there will be a story about BP and the oil spill, which will include some pictures of dead wildlife, the ships on top, and the well at the bottom. There will be scenes of the beach, and some unhappy business owners.

Next, there will be a second "serious" story - perhaps something about the German techno-music festival where several were trampled to death. That may be old news by now, so perhaps it will be something equally unimportant.

You'll notice several other brief stories, generally including something with the President - for example, his latest vacation. There will be something about the economy. And, perhaps, a story from Afghanistan. Today, it will be about the two missing sailors.

Finally, there will be something heart warming about someone, somewhere volunteering to do something.

Of course there are commercials.

Notice that none of the items are particularly informative, nor do they have any useful details. They convey the impression that one is informed with none of the reality. In my opinion, they represent the intellectual equivalent of a Twinkie.

Discussing the southern border might lead to more pressure to control our southern border. The Democrats don't want this, because they want more votes. The Republicans don't want it, because they want cheap labor. More pointedly, The Powers That Be (TPTB) do not want to secure the southern border. The Republicans held control of congress and the Whitehouse. Nothing was done. The Democrats have control of congress and the Whitehouse. Nothing is being done. My conclusion - TPTB don't want to do anything.

And who owns the networks? GE owns NBC. Disney owns ABC. CBS is a big company on its own. These are not folks inclined to upset political applecarts. They are part of TPTB. They will rub shoulders with each other. They will not rub shoulders with the likes of you or I. What could be more natural than to avoid stories that might disturb the current status-quo?

All MOO, YMMV.

Acronym Key:

MOO: My Opinion Only
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary
ETF: Exchange Traded Fund

Oil Chart

30 year Treasury Bond
nmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 14:19   #32
incarcerated
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmap View Post
Disney owns ABC.
That explains it.
All of that broadcasting from, uh, here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg never never land.jpg (182.2 KB, 60 views)

“We can trust our doctors to be professional, to minister equally to their patients without regard to their political or religious beliefs. But we can no longer trust our professors to do the same." --David Horowitz
incarcerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 14:31   #33
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Anyone notice the lack of "Richard content",, Must be out scrounging up more ammo??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 14:41   #34
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmap View Post
If you haven't done so, please try an experiment. Sit down and watch the evening national news on television. Make sure you won't be disturbed for the 30 minutes this will take. If you'd like, get a small pad of paper and a pen to make a few notes.

Now, watch the news. Only, instead of concentrating on the stories and what they say, look at the content of the newscast objectively. I believe you'll find some interesting results.

First, there will be a story about BP and the oil spill, which will include some pictures of dead wildlife, the ships on top, and the well at the bottom. There will be scenes of the beach, and some unhappy business owners.

Next, there will be a second "serious" story - perhaps something about the German techno-music festival where several were trampled to death. That may be old news by now, so perhaps it will be something equally unimportant.

You'll notice several other brief stories, generally including something with the President - for example, his latest vacation. There will be something about the economy. And, perhaps, a story from Afghanistan. Today, it will be about the two missing sailors.

Finally, there will be something heart warming about someone, somewhere volunteering to do something.

Of course there are commercials.

Notice that none of the items are particularly informative, nor do they have any useful details. They convey the impression that one is informed with none of the reality. In my opinion, they represent the intellectual equivalent of a Twinkie.

Discussing the southern border might lead to more pressure to control our southern border. The Democrats don't want this, because they want more votes. The Republicans don't want it, because they want cheap labor. More pointedly, The Powers That Be (TPTB) do not want to secure the southern border. The Republicans held control of congress and the Whitehouse. Nothing was done. The Democrats have control of congress and the Whitehouse. Nothing is being done. My conclusion - TPTB don't want to do anything.

And who owns the networks? GE owns NBC. Disney owns ABC. CBS is a big company on its own. These are not folks inclined to upset political applecarts. They are part of TPTB. They will rub shoulders with each other. They will not rub shoulders with the likes of you or I. What could be more natural than to avoid stories that might disturb the current status-quo?

All MOO, YMMV.

Exactly! There is little to no substance to the news.

The irony I find with the TPTB brain trust is that should (more like when) amnesty or open borders become the norm, they themselves will likely be swallowed by the monster they created. ABC, NBC, CBS will be dwarfed by El Mundo and Hispanic Politicians will push their agenda.
Paslode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 14:45   #35
akv
Area Commander

Where are the Republicans?

Nmap,

Fair points,

I must confess ignorance to the evening news, since frankly other than Nat Geo, the History channel, or sports I don't watch much tv, because " reality tv" or " 1001 ways to bash white males in 30 minutes" is kinda dull...

My question about the border stuff in AZ and now apparently TX is aimed at the Republican/Libertarian leadership, basically WTF? Why aren't prominent respected mainstream Republican leaders like John McCain, Arnold, or Bobby Jindal raising a massive stink about this stuff? The Dims took all sorts of heat over lack of security issues with the Times Square bomber, etc. This with the economy seem to be open wounds to exploit for the coming elections.

As for the MSM, yes they have a liberal bias but their primary loyalty is to ratings and dollars. If Obama were to have an affair etc. or damning incident why wouldn't they turn on him the same way they turned on Clinton? As folks have pointed out the media honeymoon ended long ago, IMHO media scruples/loyalty are a thing of the past they will turn on anyone for ratings. No?
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb

Last edited by akv; 07-25-2010 at 14:51.
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 14:52   #36
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

While the drug cartels may not actually hold two Texas ranches they have made the mayor of Laredo very nervous, nervous enough to ask the White House for help.......

I can see the White House now;

"If we send troops it will clearly show we have a problem on our borders, and if we do not send troops and the shit hits the fan, Americans are killed, we are done."

Want to bet everyone in Laredo Texas has locked and loaded..... it's time to fill sandbags people!

Laredo mayor: 'It's time for action'
by KENS 5 Staff
kens5.com
Posted on July 25, 2010 at 11:07 AM
Updated today at 11:22 AM

Laredo Mayor Raul Salinas stopped by KENS 5 for an exclusive interview to discuss the threat of violence from across the border and what the U.S. government must do to help its cities. He also described how Laredo has been responding to the issue.

Salinas stressed a number of times, however, that Laredo, Texas, is safe.

"There's an increase [of violence], but it's happening throughout the country of Mexico, and that violence is contained within Mexico," Salinas said. "On the U.S. side, Laredo side, we have been able to use our resources that we have to ensure that we don't have a spillover of that violence on our side of the border."

But more resources are needed for this ongoing effort.

The Laredo Police Department has kept the violence from spreading beyond the border, Salinas said but "we need more boots on the ground, more equipment, more resources."

Laredo has asked for help from the White House and from the state.

"I would like to see for the government to really give us a helping hand, because we need it," Salinas said. Let's not wait until something crazy to happen. Let's act now before something serious happens."

The violence has fostered collaboration among the police department, federal entities like the FBI , customs and border protection, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and Mexican authorities. They're working together to monitor the border carefully.

"When you talk about border protection, if you don't get the resources, how do you want the job done?" Salinas asked. "Enough with the rhetoric, it's time for action."

http://www.kens5.com/home/Laredo-may...-99195579.html
Old 07-25-2010, 14:55   #37
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
My question about the border stuff in AZ and now apparently TX is aimed at the Republican/Libertarian leadership, basically WTF? Why aren't prominent respected mainstream Republican leaders like John McCain, Arnold, or Bobby Jindal raising a massive stink about this stuff?

Self preservation and potential votes.
Old 07-25-2010, 14:57   #38
nmap
Area Commander

Quote:
Why aren't prominent respected mainstream Republican leaders like John McCain, Arnold, or Bobby Jindal raising a massive stink about this stuff? The Dims took all sorts of heat over lack of security issues with the Times Square bomber, etc. This with the economy seem to be open wounds to exploit for the coming elections.
If they raise a stink, they gain some votes from one subpopulation - but they lose votes from one or more other subpopulations. Is the net effect a gain in votes, or a loss?

My reading of their behavior suggests they believe it is a loss. Therefore, they would not touch this hot potato.

Quote:
As for the MSM, yes they have a liberal bias but their primary loyalty is to ratings and dollars. If Obama were to have an affair etc. or damning incident why wouldn't they turn on him the same way they turned on Clinton? As folks have pointed out the media honeymoon ended long ago, IMHO media scruples/loyalty are a thing of the past they will turn on anyone for ratings. No?
I agree, they love ratings. But which group of consumers do they wish to attract? One subpopulation is aging, has few children, and is not growing in size. Another subpopulation is growing, has children, and is young - and hence is in an acquisitive stage.

Which group would you want to attract?

Acronym Key:

MOO: My Opinion Only
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary
ETF: Exchange Traded Fund

Oil Chart

30 year Treasury Bond
nmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 16:33   #39
Guntry Kong
SF Candidate

My .02

There comes a time when regular citizens have to take protecting themselves, families, and property into there own hands. Its has become clear that the government is more interested in passing their healthcare bills and financial reform bills over protecting the citizens. Its time to "Lock and Load" and take matters into your own hands when no one else will. It is my firm belief that when you stand up to bullies they leave you alone. If all the citizens arm themselves to protect their own we can bring true harm to those that mean us and our families harm.

In no particular order, early American settlers viewed the right to arms and/or the right to bear arms and/or state militias as important for one or more of these purposes:

deterring undemocratic government;
repelling invasion;
suppressing insurrection;
facilitating a natural right of self-defense;
participating in law enforcement;
enabling the people to organize a militia system,

If you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!- Maximus
Guntry Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 19:04   #40
akv
Area Commander

Is Nationalism dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmap
If they raise a stink, they gain some votes from one subpopulation - but they lose votes from one or more other subpopulations. Is the net effect a gain in votes, or a loss? My reading of their behavior suggests they believe it is a loss. Therefore, they would not touch this hot potato.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode
Self preservation and potential votes.
Nmap & Paslode,

If this is in fact the rationale amongst Republican leadership trepidation for our Republic is warranted. We can blame Zero and the Dims all we want, but if the Republican leadership doesn't have the stones to rally around such an issue, they deserve to be replaced on grounds of "pussification" alone, is the inevitable shedding of innocent blood the only catalyst here? Even if you assume politicians despite their stripes are rank opportunists/populists, if anything were a bipartisan issue this would be it. Frankly IMHO it isn't an issue, an issue has two sides. Healthcare, the death penalty, and immigration, are issues despite one's views there are plausible arguments on either side.

In this case, we are all Americans here, so the facts;

1) There are armed illegal cartels occupying hilltops and national parks in Az.
2) These cartels have the brass to threaten US cops doing their jobs on American soil.
3) Whatever the exact details, the mayor of Laredo, TX is asking for help.

If you are an American whatever your region, politics, ethnicity, tax bracket or religion how could you say anything other than, if true WTF, deal with this immediately and severely. Just as we would expect local firemen to put out a blaze, or local LEO to respond to a hostage situation at a school. Frankly if Gumby stood up and pounded the table for immediate action here I would cheer him.
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb

Last edited by akv; 07-25-2010 at 19:06.
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 19:58   #41
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
If you are an American whatever your region, politics, ethnicity, tax bracket or religion how could you say anything other than, if true WTF, deal with this immediately and severely. Just as we would expect local firemen to put out a blaze, or local LEO to respond to a hostage situation at a school.

It isn't likes of ZD and TS asking the willing to be a go-fer boy, recon or possibly sending small objects down range.....if it were I'd tell the wife I'll see you in couple weeks. What we have are persons that remind me of the cast of a UFO Channel Documentary or the Men who stared at Goats and some that didn't pass the smell test at OTC and one madman with a death wish.

So as it stands you have a dramatic pointman in Pinal Co. that claims to have lead men and a blogger doing whatever. Both are requesting the assistance of able bodied persons and donations for an OP in the near future.

So who and what is going to be there when you arrive at the desert from the green plains of the Midwest? Is their motivation protecting the border or as Los Zetas contends ambushing drug runners and retrieving booty to bankroll whatever?

Lots of questions and no one seems to know the answers to those and many other important questions?

arizonamilitia dot com

Last edited by Paslode; 07-25-2010 at 20:03.
Old 07-25-2010, 22:08   #42
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

I don't pretend to have the answers, or to even have the questions. All I know is that U.S. citizens who live on OUR side of the border ARE, and have been for some time, having their lives interupted by forces on the OTHER side of the border. A border is, at its root, a pretty simple thing.

Those who oppose what is going on (Sheriff Joe - with whom I rarely agree, or Sheriff Babeu or Sheriff Dever) are shouted down or portrayed as racists. As I said before, 'push' is coming to 'shove' and it isn't going to be pretty!
Old 07-25-2010, 22:38   #43
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
As I said before, 'push' is coming to 'shove' and it isn't going to be pretty!
Cheery thought. Your dog can stand down for now. Don't unpack the car, though.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 22:43   #44
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

The frickin' dog's asleep, like America (ala "Casablanca" and Rick's pov). It takes a while to rouse him, but once he's awake - look out!
Old 07-25-2010, 22:58   #45
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
The frickin' dog's asleep, like America (ala "Casablanca" and Rick's pov). It takes a while to rouse him, but once he's awake - look out!
Dogs are like that. Fortunately, they spring into action a little more quickly.

You did leave room in your car for a couple of cases of wine, didn't you? Cab and Chard will do.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote