Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 11-10-2009, 14:01   #1
frostfire
Area Commander

Condor outdoor desert ripple sole

Has anyone purchased and tested (field use, humping 70lbs+, etc.) condoroutdoor boots, specifically the tan one with ripple sole? Would you care to drop a review? Thank you in advance.

The construction/stitching seems rugged, at the right size it held well to my feet form, and it's supposedly made in good 'ol USA (can't remember whether I saw it on the boots or on the website). Of course, the store won't let me do outdoor testing. At $39.95, it seems like a steal. However, I fear I just might get what I'm paying for. On the other hand, based on the stellar reviews here on Wellco boots, good boots don't have to cost $100 and beyond.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 16:09   #2
k-rub
Quiet Professional

I actually just bought a pair because my issue ones broke at the last minute.

My initial thoughts were the same. Great price and it looked like decent construction. They are extremely comfortable when you first put them on. Feels like you don't need to break them in.

I used them this past weekend to try out for the Utah NGSF. Though I didn't get a chance to break them in like should have. The ruck was 12 miles and they held up great. I got a couple small blisters, most likely because they weren't properly broken in.

My only beef with them so far is the quality of the soles. I went hiking a couple weeks ago in them and the soles started to wear and crack a little bit. That was the first time I took them out. However it could be because I was climbing some extremely rugged terrain.

For the price, they are a great boot. But time will tell how durable they are.
k-rub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:34   #3
caveman
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-rub View Post
My only beef with them so far is the quality of the soles. I went hiking a couple weeks ago in them and the soles started to wear and crack a little bit. That was the first time I took them out. However it could be because I was climbing some extremely rugged terrain.
I think I'd be a bit wary of boots with soles that cracked after the first time I took them out...regardless of how rugged the terrain may have been.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:23   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Come on FF. You have been here for more than two paydays.

Have you done a search for "ripple sole"?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:59   #5
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Come on FF. You have been here for more than two paydays.

Have you done a search for "ripple sole"?

TR
Reaper Sir,

understood.

INDNJC
Old 11-11-2009, 14:20   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Not to mention that having seen guys with Korean (or is it Chinese now?) Jungle Boots versus the real thing, you get what you pay for.

I do not necessarily believe that a $300 pair of boots are three times better than a $100 pair, but they are probably ten times better than a $30 pair.

Try a pair of the ripple soles in mud, and get back to me.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 21:30   #7
frostfire
Area Commander

update

Tried the boots again at the store and they are in fact made in China
The snug feeling came from some kind of foamy lining along the inside, as well as the upper parts that's only made of canvas material in other boots. I believe while it's comfy, it will take days to dry out once wet. In a nutshell, I presume it is not suitable for field work, but work great for office work, garrison, photo-op, and airsoft.

By providence a fellow soldier gave me a pair of new issue boots (Altama) as shown on the SORB outbrief. After wearing it to walk around for a few days, I took it for a test drive: 4 miles, 55lbs, sandy/gravel track. Total time 56:37. First mile march only (14:50) and the rest with 100yds trot every mile. Was not smoked at all, did not have to dig deep within, HR never went above 60-70%. Ended up with blisters between toes and heel starting the 4th mile though. I think next time I will put mole skin/duct tape before hotspot/blister. Prevention vs. treatment. The Altama desert with Vibram sole does beat the old, almost threadless steel toe boot. I think the new sole and its height created good traction, lengthened the stride, and made that 4 mile almost effortless.

INDNJC
Old 12-08-2009, 09:18   #8
Tacticalinterve
Asset

Hey not on these boots but when you go through CIF you may find this a way to get a better pair of boots.

I wnet through CIF a few months ago and was askedd my boot size. Well I saw they had Bellvilles, Altimas and several other brands. I just told the guy if he grabbed Bellevilles my size was 12.0 but I did not know my size in the others. Guess what he grabbed Bellvilles and handed them to me.
Tacticalinterve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:19   #9
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
At $39.95, it seems like a steal. However, I fear I just might get what I'm paying for.
FYI, I did a quick search for "condor outdoor boots" and the first site listed had the following disclaimer (the exclamation point was added by the site, not me ):

PLEASE NOTE: These boots are not meant for military use & cannot withstand severe use; for appearance more than use!

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:58   #10
regular guy
Asset

To beat a dead horse...

Condor stuff is mostly junk in my experience. I bought some stuff a few years back when I was a poor private. It fell apart. Masochist had it right, their stuff is great for looking high speed, but it tears up fast.
Honestly, for rucking I swear by the Belleville's. But if you want to look a little more high speed, Asolo's are great too. If you buy them through REI they have a guarantee on all their stuff. If you blow out anything you buy from them and still have the receipt, they will take back the old stuff and give you new ones.
regular guy is offline   Reply With Quote