Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > And Some Gave All.... > TAPS

Old 07-29-2014, 10:52   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Medal of Honor Recipient SGM Jon R. Cavaiani

It is with deep sadness and sorrow that we inform you of the passing of SGM Jon R. Cavaiani.

Blue skies SGM.

DISTINGUISHED MEMBER OF THE SPECIAL FORCES REGIMENT

Jon R. Cavaiani was born in Murphys, Ireland, moving to England in 1943. He came to the United States in 1947 and, in 1953, moved to the small farming community of Ballico, California. Ugo Cavaiani, his stepfather formally adopted him in 1961.

Though initially classified 4F, due in part to a severe allergy to bee stings, Cavaiani joined the Army in 1969, a year before he became a naturalized citizen. He then volunteered for Special Forces where he would spend most of his military career for the the next 17 years.

Cavaiani, serving in the Republic of Vietnam in 1971 with Task Force 1 Advisory Element, the Studies and Observations Group (SOG), an elite reconnaissance unit, received the Medal of Honor for his actions while a platoon leader providing security for Hickory Hill, an isolated radio relay site at Dong Tri. Erected in June 1968, the Hickory Hill post had existed on strategic Hill 953, in northwest Quang Tri Province at the edge of the DMZ. On 3 June 1971, heavy North Vietnamese artillery began battering the bunkered Hickory Hill defenses. Cavaiiani with the help of SGT John Johns organized the evacuation of 15 wounded men on June 4. Five of these men were American Special Forces and the remaining 10 were indigenous Montagnards. When the relay site was overrun and after the others had been evacuated, Cavaiani played dead and avoided capture for eleven days.
When Cavaiana spotted and tried to attract a passing US helicopter, he was captured by the North Vietnamese, spending 661 days in captivity. Cavaiani was released during Operation Homecoming on 27 March 1973. President Gerald Ford presented Cavaiani with the Medal of Honor during a ceremony on December 12, 1974.

After returning from Vietnam, he served as an instructor at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, from July 1973 to August 1974, before transferring to the U.S. Army Readiness Region IX in San Francisco, California where he was assigned as the Chief Enlisted Advisor. His next assignment was as an Operations Sergeant on the Allied Staff in West Berlin, Germany, from September 1977 to August 1980. Cavaiani then served with the 10th Special Forces Group at Fort Devens, Massachusetts, from August 1980 to May 1983, and then with the 11th Special Forces Group at Fort Meade, Maryland, from May 1983 to June 1984. His next assignment was with the 97th Army Reserve Command, also at Fort Meade, where he served until September 1985. Moving to Fort Eustis, Virginia, he assumed the position of NCOIC of Plans, Operations, and Training and then as Operations Sergeant Major with the Flight Concepts Division, a slot he held until May 1989. Sgt Maj Cavaiani’s final assignment was as Chief Instructor at the Army ROTC detachment at the University of California, Davis campus, from May 1989 until his
retirement from the Army on May 31, 1990.

Upon retiring, he served as the 6th region director of the Congressional Medal of Honor Society and recently graduated with honors from the culinary arts program in Columbia, California where he and his wife Barbara live. Jon has three grandsons and two granddaughters.

Among his numerous awards and decorations are the nation’s highest award for valor, the army Medal of Honor; the Legion of Valor, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star medal (valor), Purple Heart with oak leaf clusters. Jon was a freefall and static line jumpmaster and has over 5,000 jumps all over the world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SGMCavanani.jpg (46.5 KB, 116 views)
Old 07-29-2014, 10:57   #2
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Rest in Peace Sergeant Major

An old article, but great nonetheless: http://www.hawaiireporter.com/true-s...43-present/123

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:32   #3
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

Rest in peace, Sergeant Major. Thank you for standing watch.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:56   #4
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Rest in peace, SGM. Thank you for the examples you set.
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:56   #5
DDD
Quiet Professional

RIP SGM.
I'll pull outer perimeter security on your Patrol Base when my time comes.
DDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:01   #6
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace SGM!!!!
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:14   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

RIP, Sergeant Major.

Thank you for your service, and your sacrifice.

It was a pleasure to have known you.

You have set a high standard within the Regiment.

Prayers out.

DOL-
TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:55   #8
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
RIP, SGM. Thank you for your selfless service and leadership; you are the epitome of what Special Forces soldiers aspire to be. Vaya con Dios.

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 13:28   #9
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Rest In Peace SGM. You will be missed! Blue Skies.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 14:44   #10
B5268
Asset

SGM Caviani

From an interview that SGM C. did. His remark "First man on the ground, last man off the ground."

That said it.
RIP
B5268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 14:47   #11
Lan
Guerrilla Chief

RIP Sir. Thank you for your service and sacrifice.
Lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 14:47   #12
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
RIP Brother, Vaya con Dios.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 15:18   #13
Tatonka316
Gold Star Father

Rest in SGM. Thank you for your lifetime of service, sacrifice, leadership and professionalism. You will ALWAYS be missed and NEVER forgotten. Give my son a hug for me and tell him I will see him soon. He will be your shield now ...

molon labe
Tatonka316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 15:35   #14
PSM
Area Commander

Rest in Peace, Sergeant Major.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 15:35   #15
doctom54
Quiet Professional

RIP SGM