Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 04-23-2016, 21:44   #1
JHaskan
Asset

Effects of traveling to Russia on future clearances in Special Forces

Good evening gentlemen,

First of all, I would like to thank all you who run, maintain, and provide information on this website. I appreciate all the hard work that goes into this site as it has allowed myself and others invaluable experience-based knowledge.

As you may read in my introduction, I plan on enlisting this fall with an 18X contract. Because of this, I have taken charge of becoming skillful and experienced where I should be. I have embarked on many tasks that have built my character, integrity, and general usefulness as a man. Things like construction, welding, Judo, general education, general fitness, land navigation, and Russian language are a few of the subjects I have put vigorous work-hours into over the past three years. This post is about a challenge that I am considering to take on.

I see it fit that in order to take my Russian language skills to the highest proficiency standard given the available time, I should visit Russia and learn by immersion. This will also grant an unfiltered foreign cultural experience and understanding. There are a few conflicts with this trip that need addressing, but nothing that I won't solve. The main issue I am asking for information on are the possible effects of a trip to Russia on a security clearance investigation (Should I succeed through OSUT, BAC, SFPC, SFAS, and SFQC)

I have done research on foreign travel and it's effects on future TS/SCI clearances. Most of my findings were about international travel while under investigation, or currently holding a clearance, both of which are not my case. I have found only one internet thread touching on this topic. In it, 3 or 4 posts suggest that foreign travel would trigger absolutely no problems for the process, considering no suspicious activities. On the contrary, I have heard unofficial chatter from a friend in the military that it would bar me from gaining clearance. Another online source informed me that this trip would only lengthen the investigation time with no other hindrances.

Understanding that you all have the experience and expertise to give me a definitive answer should I deserve it, my questions for you are these;

How exactly would a one entry/exit, 3 week trip to Siberia with no local contacts maintained fare on an investigation?

In your experience, would the negative effects on a clearance investigation out-weigh the positive effects of language skill and simple cultural understanding?

Basically, Is this something that will bite me in the ass during my training to be a Special Forces Soldier or even during my possible time on a detachment?

I would like to thank you all for your time spent reading. I am ready to learn.

Sincerely,

JHaskan
JHaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:40   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHaskan View Post

I see it fit that in order to take my Russian language skills to the highest proficiency standard given the available time, I should visit Russia and learn by immersion. This will also grant an unfiltered foreign cultural experience and understanding. There are a few conflicts with this trip that need addressing, but nothing that I won't solve. The main issue I am asking for information on are the possible effects of a trip to Russia on a security clearance investigation (Should I succeed through OSUT, BAC, SFPC, SFAS, and SFQC)

JHaskan
Russian Language skills?? :

What language?? Serbians speak a combination of languages and dialects. If you mean White Russian, Serbia is not the place.
  • the Eskimo–Aleut languages spoken in Siberia
  • the Mongolic languages spoken in Siberia
  • the Paleosiberian languages
  • the Siberian Turkic languages
  • the Russian dialects spoken in Siberia
  • the Tungusic languages spoken in Siberia
  • the Uralic languages spoken in Siberia
  • the Dené–Yeniseian languages spoken in Siberia

Immersion:

Your three week trip minus travel time (3-6 days) is not going to be productive. You would be better off moving to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn, New York City, and living on the street.

Security clearance:

I don't see your trip as benefiting you on several levels,, including your possible need for a security clearance..

My $00.0002,,

YMMV, but I think you need more homework..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:00   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

And then you're assigned to 7th Group, or, you fail SFAS and are assigned to the 82nd ABN DIV.

Focus on the 25m targets. Language is not a 25m target.
Old 04-24-2016, 13:33   #4
JHaskan
Asset

JJ BPK,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I have studied only the standard Moscow Russian dialect. My intended destination was Екатеринбу́рг, Where I believe Moscow Russian is spoken (given some small differences). Also, by Siberia, I meant the area north of Екатеринбу́рг which in some instances is defined as being within Siberia, if only on the border.

Again, I appreciate your wisdom and will take it to heart.

JHaskan
Old 04-24-2016, 13:52   #5
JHaskan
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
And then you're assigned to 7th Group, or, you fail SFAS and are assigned to the 82nd ABN DIV.

Focus on the 25m targets. Language is not a 25m target.
Thank you for your insight Team Sergeant. I would just like to clarify that learning the standard Russian language is a passion I have beyond it's possible use in Special Forces. I am dedicated to perfect it, despite what may happen in the military for me. Against that , I understand now that I need to put aside distractions and focus on my 25m target. I want to be a Special Forces Soldier more than anything in the world and so focus, I will.

JHaskan

Last edited by JHaskan; 04-24-2016 at 13:58.