Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 01-02-2010, 17:32   #346
rltipton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_31-B View Post
I know its nothing new Sir, I actually stole the Idea from MY Grandfather who coincidentally is Also a Korean War Vet. Just keepin the tradition going!
Lots of good stuff on this thread! I once burned a can of kiwi to keep a pup tent warm when it was freezing ass cold and soaking wet in Hoenfels (Sp?). I got that tip from my dad. Works like a charm, you just have to have a vent at the top to let the smudge out. Not recommended in a tactical situation!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:09   #347
trunkmonkey
Asset

For those who can't permanently paint their overwhites with black strips for wooded areas the smoke from a burning MRE spoon can be used as a field expedient method to blacken almost anything temporarily. It also can be washed off for later for inspections.

When I was stationed in Alaska I was working on a small surveillance team. Since skiing and snow-shoeiing was the preferred method of conveyance we would often be tracked by infantry scouts. To lose your pursuers we would take a trail and make sure to traverse a large snow drift that was fairly hard packed. We would then toss road flares into the drift which would instantly melt through. and melt a large portoin of the underlying snow. The top of the drift would remain intact due to the depth of the snow and the fact that a small layer of ice will form to support the snow. It would take the unit pursuing us 30 minutes to an hour in order to recover their troops from the hole. then they would pursue much much slower.
trunkmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 17:27   #348
PSM
Area Commander

Loading a Bobcat...

...without a ramp!

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:05   #349
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

A couple weeks ago, I was needing to get some dies made for forging these titanium sporks I'd designed because I wasn't satisfied with the current offerings on the market. The machine shop I approached wanted two to five grand to make these dies for me. I did not want to pay two to five grand. In fact, this felt like highway robbery for a set of forging dies that I was going to use for .060" thick Ti. It's very ductile when it's heated, and unless the steel for the dies is annealed, it's most likely going to be harder than the 36 Rockwell of Ti. When I told the machine shop that for two to five grand, I'd make the dies myself, the guy gave me that "Yeah, right" look...

So myself and my friend and knifemaking mentor Charles fabricated a set of dies from scratch out of a 5" diameter steel drop that the guys over at my surface grinding facility hooked me up with for free. In fact the only real cost in fabricating the dies was in time (it took us two eight hour days from start to finish, but there was plenty of lollygagging in there). To form the female die for the bowl, we used a Dremel with a carbide burr and removed a little bit of steel at a time. It was a pretty ridiculous process.

I know it's not duct tape and chewing gum, but it is making something that makes me money out of a piece of scrap that was going to get thrown in a dumpster. And the dies work like a charm.

When somebody acts like I can't do something myself, my mission in life becomes finding a solution and proving them wrong.
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:12   #350
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

BOBCAT Log Splitter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeanPDO-D6M

BMT
Old 04-21-2010, 23:29   #351
Diablo Blanco
Asset

Here's one worth remembering

A few days ago we were sitting around the CP and I found an old football. It was deflated and we had no pumps around to inflate it with.

We ended up finding some Canned Air with a little red straw. We used the red straw as a needle and used the canned air to inflate the football. Worked great!
Diablo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 00:55   #352
sofmed
Guerrilla

Creative thinking.

In opposition to the little foxes that spoil the vine, it's the little victories like that one with the football that boost morale and keep one's mind positive and actively seeking solutions. Cool stuff.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
sofmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:26   #353
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I once burned a can of kiwi to keep a pup tent warm when it was freezing ass cold and soaking wet in Hoenfels.
Personally...I cannot imagine a reason for having Kiwi on an FTX to Hohenfels.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 13:09   #354
rdret1
Quiet Professional

I don't know that it was SF engineering so much as pure luck, but we went to Nashua, NH once for EMS Climbing School. Bill Wheelehan was our new Team Leader. Phil Shea was my junior. We were supposed to make daily SATCOM. Lo and behold, both Phil and I forgot a compass. When it came time for our first contact, we set up, I looked around and the sun was alomost setting, so I drew a compass on the ground with west toward the sun. I put the antenna on an approximate azimuth, Phil guessed an approximate elevation and we made the call. First time contact 5X !

Cpt. Wheelehan came over and said "I was watching you. No way you made contact!" We gave him the handset and he called and got confirmation. He asked how we did it. We told him "See that pinetree over there sir? The satellite is just over the top of it." He bought it. The next day Phil and I were on the mountain come contact time so Cpt. Wheelehan and Chuck Abram made the contact. When we got back Cpt. Wheelehan came up to us, all excited, and said, "Sgt. Winters, Sgt. Shea, I did like you said and aimed the antenna at the pinetree and made good contact!" For the rest of the trip we could do no wrong.

~ Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

R.D. Winters
rdret1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:55   #355
Richard
Quiet Professional

And so it goes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uaaG9D8--0

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:13   #356
Diablo Blanco
Asset

That's a great one Richard, is that from HeeHaw?

The Red Green Show out of Canada.

http://www.tvtubex.com/The-Red-Green-Show.html

Richard
Diablo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 14:46   #357
Shock
Asset

If you have a can of tuna in oil with a strip of flannelette you can burn it for a warm meal, almost tastes like chicken. Don't dump out the oil when you open the can, put a piece of flannelette folded over itself straight into the oil and make sure the corners are above the sides / with no oil on them. Light each corner with a lighter and once it catches place the lid gently back on the top with room underneath for air. Leave for 5 minutes until the top is crispy brown.

There is a technique to it, took me more than a few months to get it tasting right.

Last edited by Shock; 06-22-2010 at 06:35.
Shock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 22:32   #358
frostfire
Area Commander

rem tactical choke to muzzle break?

I thought of posting this in weapon discussion, but it's so rednecky that I think it fits here better. I want to get some technical/common-sense check before I become part of the statistics/Darwin award

I plan to seal off the lower holes of the remington tactical choke tube, hoping that the gas will be forced to come out of the upper ones thus reducing muzzle flip or serving as a muzzle break sort-of. I got the idea after recalling how well the set up worked with the M1A SOCOM. Granted, this is 12ga, that is .308. I must confess I lack the knowledge of relationship among muzzle velocity, barrel diameter, shell vs. cartridge or shot vs. slug vs. bullet, and muzzle break operation/efficiency.

Has anyone ever tried or contemplated this or something similar?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tc.jpg (61.8 KB, 33 views)

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:06   #359
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
I thought of posting this in weapon discussion, but it's so rednecky that I think it fits here better. I want to get some technical/common-sense check before I become part of the statistics/Darwin award

I plan to seal off the lower holes of the remington tactical choke tube, hoping that the gas will be forced to come out of the upper ones thus reducing muzzle flip or serving as a muzzle break sort-of. I got the idea after recalling how well the set up worked with the M1A SOCOM. Granted, this is 12ga, that is .308. I must confess I lack the knowledge of relationship among muzzle velocity, barrel diameter, shell vs. cartridge or shot vs. slug vs. bullet, and muzzle break operation/efficiency.

Has anyone ever tried or contemplated this or something similar?
Not sure what the wad and shot would be doing while passing through.

Bear in mind that muzzle flip is redirected recoil.

I have had decent results with the Briley comp choke on my Benellis.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 15:46   #360
spherojon
Guerrilla

"New" Tactical truck looks pretty awesome.

http://shock.military.com/Shock/vide...8&ESRC=army.nl