Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 08-23-2006, 00:00   #61
Roycroft201
Guerrilla

Thanks so much for posting the info on the grey market items, TS.

I'm shopping for a new digital camera and that info helps alot.

RC201
"In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something less, because passing civilization along from one generation to the next ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone could have. " .....Lee Iacocca

I will cede that we frequently have to associate with people we may not respect. - The Reaper
Roycroft201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:16   #62
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Just bought a new Canon Powershot S3 IS to replace my old S1 IS, which was on its last legs.

Used newegg.com, so far, so good.

Avoid the Brooklyn dealers like the plague. You will not be happy if you do not.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:12   #63
BrianH
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip_Wire
I share your enthusiam for the Canon Digital Elph cameras!
+1 on this list for me.

I've had Sony, Canon, and Pentax, and the Canons have always outperformed my other cameras by a large margin. I had some complaints with the early Digital Elph models due to extremely poor low-light autofocus performance, but all of those issues have been solved.

I recently purchased Canon's Powerhot S80 and couldn't be happier. 8.0 MP, extremely ergonomic feel, fully manual control, large screen, and tons of options. It's most of the power of a DSLR, but it will fit in my pocket; and that's exactly what I was looking for.

Stand it like a man... and give some back.
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 20:25   #64
geronimo
Asset

NDD,

There are some great suggestions but I have a couple of more things I see as important that many here are glossing over. The big factors for me are:

-My PDA uses SD cards, my phone uses SD cards so therefore my camera uses them as well. I like to have some commonality and now I have the ability to take a picture and email it right away if needed. (This is great for site surveys) I can also slip the SD card out and break it quickly if I don't want to share the pictures with an unrelated but interested party...

-AA batteries! I hate rechargables since it seems that they are always used up when I need them. Murphy might turn on my camera in a pocket but a battery change is quick and easy with AA's. I always have plenty of them on me for NVG's and EO-Tech's anyways...

-The ability to easily and completely turn off the flash. I have played with a couple of cameras that make it seem like you are programming an ICBM when trying to kill the flash.

-The MP count is pretty important for me since I often take very high resolution extreme close up photos. I try to keep the MP count as high as I can afford without compromising the other factors listed above.

-Size, because as TR said up higher, the camera you have on you is the best one to have. (paraphrased)

Good luck and let us know if you decide to come into the 21st century!
geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:29   #65
x SF med
Quiet Professional

You people are corruptive, evil, and persuasive. Thanks a lot, I just added to my camera collection last night - Cannon EOS+ digital 8Mp SLR, 15-65mm lens, 3Gb card, 65-300mm lens, and a new flash. Dell had a sale, got a good price (don't even ask, I could have bought a couple of nice used pistols), not a stealth setup though.... should be here by Fri.

This is in addition to my 3 other cameras, 2x 35mm, 1 digital.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:37   #66
jfhiller
Auxiliary

Sounds like a sweet setup. I hope you'll post a review of how you like it once you've used it for a little bit.
jfhiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:20   #67
Pete
Quiet Professional

Kodak Easyshare Z700

Ok, I move slow. Used a DC-50 for years. That was a big ugly box but it worked well.

Pulling open the lens cover turned the camera on. The on/off switch was starting to wear out and the camera was failing to turn on now and again. Slight problem when you are trying for a fast shot on some of the back roads around here.

Picked up a Kodak E/S Z700 a month or two back and so far its working fine. I like the view screen for those arms length, out the passenger window shots. I do take some telephoto shots now and again. I up the pixel count to the max, get the shot and turn the count back down.

The first digital camera I saw was in 1988. It looked like a standard SLR 35mm Camera. The Special Subjects Team , mine, at O&I ran the photo lab so we got to play with it for a while. Jumped it a few times, it still worked, and used it with the DMDG.

Pete

Use a digital camera for work every day.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 23:03   #68
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Ok, now I have to buy one (kg said so). I'm looking at this one, based on the recommendations from this thread.

Canon Powershot S2 IS 5MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

or this one:

Canon PowerShot Pro Series S3 IS 6MP with 12x Image Stabilized Zoom

price difference is about $100 for the extra MP.

I need it to take pics and video clips of training and for family stuff.

Any advice appreciated.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 00:38   #69
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Ok, now I have to buy one (kg said so). I'm looking at this one, based on the recommendations from this thread.

Canon Powershot S2 IS 5MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

or this one:

Canon PowerShot Pro Series S3 IS 6MP with 12x Image Stabilized Zoom

price difference is about $100 for the extra MP.

I need it to take pics and video clips of training and for family stuff.

Any advice appreciated.
I went from the Canon S1 to the S3. I looked at the S2 as it was on sale after the S3s came out, but the specs for the S3 won me over.

A lot more difference there than just the 1MB, IIRC. The reviews mentioned that they changed other stuff, IIRC.

Great camera, regardless. That is what I use for most of my pics here for the last couple of years.

Good luck, hermano!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 11-06-2006, 06:52   #70
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Boss, how's the video part - GTG? I'm pretty sure it's the one I'm going to get.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:29   #71
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Ok, time for the review of the Canon, digital EOS+ SLR. This thing is amazing - the image stabilization and the auto focus (hey, I was using it on a boat, in the fog) are nice features - the software is really good, it'll let you edit the photos in RAW format - caveat, the 8 Mp files are huge, but the quality is spectactular -interface between camera and computer is easy to use and pretty fast on the USB port.

Not a 'hider' though - same dimensions as a regular SLR, the 300mm lens has primo optics - the portrait lens is pretty good, but I used the tele lens on the watrer more. It will take video with sound (I didn't get the mic).

TS and Dan would shoot me if I put up any of the current images - they're a minimum of 2meg. I need to cut them down before I post.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:13   #72
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Boss, how's the video part - GTG? I'm pretty sure it's the one I'm going to get.
The video is much better with the S3 than the S1. Neither is really any substitute for a camcorder. You can shoot up to 1 GB at 640x480 at 30 fps, max. That is tolerable for small MPEG-type internet videos, but nothing like a camcorder gets. It is a one touch video button, no need to turn dials or drill down through a menu. You can literally start a video without taking your eyes off the viewfinder.

Unfortunately, technology has, IMHO, not yet created a digital camera that will shoot movie quality videos, or a camcorder that will shoot portrait quality photos.

I have seen no one complain about the S3. It is feature packed, shoots images almost as good as an SLR type digicam, and is small enough enough to have it with you when you need it.

I do not think that you will be disappointed.

TR

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022111canons3is.asp

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/s3is.html

Old 11-06-2006, 09:22   #73
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Many thanks - that's the one then.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:52   #74
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Well,
I found a Canon PowerShot Pro Series S3 IS here and went ahead and got it. I have a trip coming up and couldn't wait for one to come from the US. I was going to just get a cheap one and order the S3, but since they had it and it wasn't that much more....I made up some of the difference in free crap. I got a case, a 256 card, rechargeable batteries and charger.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to work the thing.

Many thanks for all the advice. I'm really happy with the purchase.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 11-06-2006, 13:58   #75
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Well,
I found a Canon PowerShot Pro Series S3 IS here and went ahead and got it. I have a trip coming up and couldn't wait for one to come from the US. I was going to just get a cheap one and order the S3, but since they had it and it wasn't that much more....I made up some of the difference in free crap. I got a case, a 256 card, rechargeable batteries and charger.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to work the thing.

Many thanks for all the advice. I'm really happy with the purchase.
Hermano:

Get a 1GB card and eight to 12 good rechargables (like the PowerEx batteries) and the Maha charger.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm

Trust me, I have learned this the hard way. And with the S3, in an emergency, you can just use regular alkaline AAs.

Good shooting!