Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 11-01-2014, 20:27   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelks View Post
Just not a fan of anything that uses 123 batteries these days and I still have a couple of older Surefires. Standard batteries are MUCH easier to find in a pinch in my opinion.
I hear you, but the standard batteries like the AAs and AAAs do not have the power to produce the light that the 123s can.

They also have a lot less shelf life. A 123 will produce almost 100% of its power even after 10 years in storage. Alkaline cells will not.

Another option is the powerful rechargables, like the 18650s.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:12   #17
Oldrotorhead
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunanut View Post
I have become a fan of Fenix flashlights.

http://www.fenix-store.com/tk-series/
I like the Fenix as well. had one in my pocket for almost a year with no problems. You can up grade your old Surefires far a lot less than the cost of replacement. Here is one good option.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/
Old 11-02-2014, 13:27   #18
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

*duplicate post*

Last edited by DJ Urbanovsky; 11-03-2014 at 10:39. Reason: duplicate post
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 16:17   #19
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I bought a bunch of Surefire LED lights back when we first talked about lights. The bulbs are now all dying on me, and they are expensive and a pain to replace. I have been trying (admittedly without using tools, which I'm sure will solve the problem) to get the bulb out of my L2 for a couple of weeks now, no dice.

That said, they sure do shine brightly and they are cool as hell. In fact, I can even wear my SEAL/10th Group badboy sunglasses at night and see stuff when I shine the light on it . . .
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 16:34   #20
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Ruh-roh

http://www.surefire.com/flashlight-head-warning
Old 11-02-2014, 17:11   #21
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

None of the LED lights have user replacable LEDs or heads, to my knowledge.

Call Surefire and get an RMA number.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 11-02-2014, 17:31   #22
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
None of the LED lights have user replacable LEDs or heads, to my knowledge.

Call Surefire and get an RMA number.

TR
Much appreciated. I guess some of my lights are incandescent, as I was able to buy and replace the bulbs, LOL.
Old 11-02-2014, 17:43   #23
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
Much appreciated. I guess some of my lights are incandescent, as I was able to buy and replace the bulbs, LOL.
Feel free to call me for your SureFire flashlight questions, amigo.

TR

Old 11-02-2014, 22:05   #24
x SF med
Quiet Professional

I have a flashlight collection that goes from cheap but useable to outstanding expensive light up everything... I prefer smaller flashlights, since I don't normally use them as clubs... flashlights are all over the house, every room, near doors, next to the bed, in carry bags, range bags, in vehicles.... I believe you can't have too many and any of them are better than none at all when you need one.

Like knives and pistols, what's the best flashlight? The one you have at the moment it's needed. (to paraphrase TR)

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 16:06   #25
Snaquebite
Area Commander

I was given a couple of these at a trade show a few years back. I have yet to find anything that compares. German made.
http://www.ledlenserusa.com/

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 20:41   #26
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
I was given a couple of these at a trade show a few years back. I have yet to find anything that compares. German made.
http://www.ledlenserusa.com/
Those are good lights. I got two headlamps from work from them and they are the shit.......
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 20:54   #27
mikem04rubi
Asset

I love my Olight M20 with the tactical bezel.. Not sure I would ever need to shoot an intruder... I could probably just blind them.
mikem04rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 22:32   #28
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post
I have a flashlight collection that goes from cheap but useable to outstanding expensive light up everything... I prefer smaller flashlights, since I don't normally use them as clubs... flashlights are all over the house, every room, near doors, next to the bed, in carry bags, range bags, in vehicles.... I believe you can't have too many and any of them are better than none at all when you need one.

Like knives and pistols, what's the best flashlight? The one you have at the moment it's needed. (to paraphrase TR)
When it comes to "P for plenty" for flashlights/torches I quite like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Tor.../dp/B006E0QAFY

Hard to beat $3.44 with FREE shipping included(US) for each.

I've got a dozen+ for household/vehicles/bags.

And I've got more on order as little useful presents for mates on the job when I run into them.

-----

I hear what The Reaper is saying about shelf-life in batteries, but my rebuttal is that(at least for us poor relations way down here) "free" AA batteries are easy down here(in our procurement system) and very easy to acquire wherever I've been, while very expensive CR123 batteries are not in my experience.

The day the parasites in Afghan Customs pinched all of my CR123 batteries("fire risk" on flight) that they were looking at like krugerrands is the day I decided to pull the pin on the expensive flashlight/expensive battery combo.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 23:21   #29
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

Does anyone use klarus?
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 21:34   #30
Harv
Asset

They get decent reviews. I carry a JetBeam BA-10 as an EDC. My take on Lights. I like a single AA for everyday carry in the pocket, as it's easy to source batteries when I am out and about. I like a low 1 lumen Moonlite mode to fine lost things in a dark area where I don't need to flood the room

But still have over 100 lumen for outdoor stuff.

Since I live in a state that is cold half the year... CR123's and 18650 rechargeable are standard for the car/glove box as they hold up in cold weather unlike the Alkaline AA's. The AA's work fine if you keep a light in your pocket close to your body.

Big Fan of Fenix. I had a LD10 I carried for 3 years. now it's in the wife's purse.

I got tired of replacing CR123's, So I bought the 18650's (its whats in your laptops battery) and a recharger... save big time on buying batteries. With the newer Cree LED's you can easily push 400-600 lumens out of a light small enough to pocket carry. and the quality of lights like Fenix and jetBeam and Solarforce is quite good.

I still run only Surefires on my AR's... Looking to get one of the new Scout 600 light with the 500 lumen head... but am happy with 200 lumen.

Just my Humble .02.
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote