Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-18-2010, 15:57   #1
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Removing Kifaru Labels.

I just ordered a Kifaru pack and was told that Kirafu's policy is to not ship any items without their label on it. I was told that labels can be removed and to simply 'massage' the fabric to help close any sewing holes. Has anyone done this? And after doing so, was it evident that there was once a label (ie. holes)? I understand that many military personel are not permitted to display brand name logos on any of their kit so they may have dealt with this situation. I am not in the military and really support Kifaru products, but I would prefer to bring minimal attention to my bag - not that a 40+lbs. pack can easily be hidden mind you . . .

jaYson
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--
Longstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 19:18   #2
72_Wilderness
Auxiliary

About six feet away you can't tell that a label was removed. If you are wanting maximum camouflage, I don't think a label will matter on something as big as Kifaru pack.

72W
72_Wilderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 15:24   #3
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
I understand that many military personel are not permitted to display brand name logos...I am not in the military...
Sounds like your question is rather moot, then, unless you're looking to be tacti-chic.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 15:34   #4
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Naw, not tacti-chic, I just do not want to have a pack with little holes all over it as I am concerned that they may fray over time. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the subject. I have the Kifaru GPS pouch and will (ahem) sacrifice it tonite to find out.

jaYson
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--
Old 01-22-2010, 16:29   #5
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Naw, not tacti-chic, I just do not want to have a pack with little holes all over it as I am concerned that they may fray over time. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the subject. I have the Kifaru GPS pouch and will (ahem) sacrifice it tonite to find out.

jaYson
I believe Razor's saying that your not military, so what's the point.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 16:45   #6
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Oops, I missed that - my mistake. I am simply trying to avoid having labels all over my pack. No one needs to know that I am using Kifaru except me. In general I do not like to wear any clothing with labels on it and try to remove them whenever possible as I do not have the need to advertise the manufacturer of what I am wearing. I was only asking here as I know that many military units are prohibited from wearing kit with labels on it. And since Kifaru packs are used by military people, I was looking to find out what their experience has been with removing such labels.

jaYson
--Haim Ginott--
Old 01-22-2010, 17:06   #7
thomps33
Asset

In my experience, leadership was more worried about application and function than worrying about a label showing. As long as the label was subdued, it was a non-issue. Look at all the service members sporting Camelbaks or Oakleys for instance. Stating that, I have removed labels that have hampered the functionality of equipment. It shouldn't be an issue, just make sure not to damage the material it's stitched to.
thomps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 18:09   #8
LibraryLady
Guerrilla

Quote:
... I was told that labels can be removed and to simply 'massage' the fabric to help close any sewing holes. Has anyone done this? And after doing so, was it evident that there was once a label (ie. holes)? ...
From a seamstress standpoint, the best way to remove the label is to pick the stitches out with something sharp from the top of the label. The underlying material will not show the removal if you do it when new so there is no fading issue, and yes, you can 'massage' the fabric so the holes won't show... as well. Any type of stitching/holes made are permanent and will cause a permeability/weakness issue at that site. There are ways to patch to mitigate the permeability/weakness issue, if you want to go to that much trouble, but the patches are never as good as leaving well enough alone.

LL
Old 01-22-2010, 18:18   #9
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Quote:
but the patches are never as good as leaving well enough alone.
That's all I wanted to know. Thanks LL.

jaYson
--Haim Ginott--
Old 02-03-2010, 18:39   #10
eggroll
Guerrilla

Longstreet

a seam ripper or a very sharp and pointed knife are your friends

that being said, is there a particular reason for all the removal?
Old 02-03-2010, 20:00   #11
Longstreet
Guerrilla

I just do not care for having labels all over my pack. While I prefer to wear 'designer' clothing/equipment, it is only because usually it is made better or in a first world country (preferably Canada or the US). If I can find a non-designer piece of clothing/equipment that is as good as a designer, I will buy the non-designer - I am not a slave to designer names. I support Kifaru and think that they make outstanding kit, but I would prefer it to not have any labels on it. There is also the concern about bringing unwanted attention from potential thieves as I do travel and will be taking my pack on planes (the old mentality if the bag is worth $700, its contents must be worth more).

That being said, I do not want to weaken or shorten the life span of any Kifaru kit I own. I only asked here as I felt that members of this board may of had to remove labels if they wanted to us it in the military. After reading one of the above posts, I have decided to keep the labels and recently found a pack overbag that can be used when travelling on a plane.

jaYson
--Haim Ginott--
Old 02-04-2010, 08:50   #12
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Longstreet,
When you get your Rolls Royce, swing on down to the shop and I can use the torch to get rid of that emblem on the grill.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 14:13   #13
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Quote:
When you get your Rolls Royce, swing on down to the shop and I can use the torch to get rid of that emblem on the grill.
Um, thanks. I will keep that in mind when I am in the market for a Rolls Royce.

jaYson
--Haim Ginott--
Old 02-05-2010, 01:13   #14
Go For Broke
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggroll View Post
Longstreet

a seam ripper or a very sharp and pointed knife are your friends

that being said, is there a particular reason for all the removal?
So are the plastic-metal cuticle removers - great when working with / on parachutes.

V/R,