Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 10-16-2011, 07:09   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

"The Green Beret" - March

A small discussion got started on another board about a song.

The title was "The Green Beret". It's identified as "The official march of the United States Army Special Warfare Center, Fort Bragg, North Carolina". It appears to credit W.O. Ken Whitcomb as the author. Side A is the Concert version and Side B is the Quickstep version.

The original poster is pretty sure he picked it up at the Smoke Bomb Hill bookstore around 62 or 63.

I've never heard about an "Official March". All I've heard SF related while out on the parade field was "The Ballad of the Green Berets".

Earl J - you got your ears on? Your office got a copy or any info on it? Anybody?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:14   #2
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Never heard of this.....

Waiting for Richard's memory to kickin.....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:36   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

Just a tid-bit

Just a tid-bit - all I could find.....

http://www.philxmilstein.com/probe/pix/PostSadler/

Down near the bottom - ....."Paul Lavalle accepts citation from Major Daniel Baldwin of the U.S. Army Special Forces for being the first non-military band to perform 'The Green Beret' march (June 14, 1965)" (detail from LP back cover):.........
Old 10-16-2011, 07:40   #4
RB
Quiet Professional

http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/sixtie..._misc_A_M.html

Scroll down to "B".

Quote:
The Ballad of the Green Berets [sheet music]. Words and Music by Barry Sadler and Robin Moore. New York: Music Music Music, Inc., (c)1963,1964 & 1966 [sole selling agents: Cimino Publications Incorporated].
[also includes on back page: The Green Beret ("The Official Song of the United States Army Special Forces"). Music by C.W.O. Ken Whitcomb, Words by P.G. Fairbanks. New York: Music Music Music, Inc., (c)1963, 1964.]
Have the album cover and the disc framed and mounted and didn't see anything about Whitcomb or P.G. Fairbanks.....

Mebbe I'm missing something.

~D-6606~
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:36   #5
Stras
Quiet Professional

Whitcomb and Fairbanks appear to be composers. As in tailoring the ballad for a string ensemble.

I found this link for Whitcomb (right side of page 2). http://www.murrieta.k12.ca.us/cms/li...430%5B1%5D.pdf

But thats just my humble opinion.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 21:55   #6
CSB
Quiet Professional

Well, if has "Special Forces" and "March" you know it is bogus.

SF doesn't "march" (other than perhaps heavy rucks over long distances)
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 22:05   #7
PSM
Area Commander

It's here (download on the upper right): http://mp3.rapidlibrary.com/mp3.php?...he+green+beret

I'd sure love to hear you guys sing (and whistle) it!

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 10-16-2011 at 22:08.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:47   #8
Richard
Quiet Professional

I have neither heard of nor heard that song before and, after hearing it, can understand why. It sounds like it belongs in a stage show with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goBcG...eature=related

As much as I got tired of hearing the JFKCENMA Drum and Bugle Corps playing Saddler's 'The Ballad of the Green Berets,' I am forever thankful they never adopted Whitcomb's 'The Green Beret.'

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:57   #9
Pete
Quiet Professional

You're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I have neither heard of nor heard that song before and, after hearing it, can understand why. It sounds like it belongs in a stage show with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. .................
It did get a bit better when they stopped talking and it was just the music. But you're right - it did sound like some 1950's stage show dance routine.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:22   #10
Tress
Quiet Professional

Listening to that was interesting..... Not!

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard:

I have neither heard of nor heard that song before and, after hearing it, can understand why. It sounds like it belongs in a stage show with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye.

As much as I got tired of hearing the JFKCENMA Drum and Bugle Corps playing Saddler's 'The Ballad of the Green Berets,' I am forever thankful they never adopted Whitcomb's 'The Green Beret.'
If they had played that song every every day, all day at Camp Mackall I think I would have slit my wrists.

When listening to it all I could think of was a bunch of former DADT soldiers dancing around Bronze Bruce.

Tress
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous, mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown author, but borrowed from a friend

"Liberals claim to be open to hearing other peoples' views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Tress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:22   #11
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Richard

Holy Crap!! Somehow I'm reminded of The Producers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCUfk...yer_detailpage
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 13:05   #12
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
It's here (download on the upper right): http://mp3.rapidlibrary.com/mp3.php?...he+green+beret

I'd sure love to hear you guys sing (and whistle) it!

Pat
OMG,that was the toughest several minutes I've ever spent wasted in my life listening to that ?????....

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:55   #13
Baht Dog
Quiet Professional

"GB March"!?! I just subjected myself to listening to that, and it's gay. Cheesy as hell. Never heard it before and will never again. That is classic of something that comes from the mind of the Hollywood clueless.

No. That has never been and never will be the"Official" Special Forces "march". Because there isn't one and doesn't need to be one.

When required, the Special Forces march to "The Army Goes Rolling Along" like every other solider. I can do without any of them but nobody is going to buck tradition on the Army's official march.

The Ballad of The Green Beret is ok in my book though. Evokes an era. At least Barry Saddler actually was one.
Old 10-26-2011, 22:15   #14
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

I can barely keep my "jazz hands" still
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 23:29   #15
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tress View Post
When listening to it all I could think of was a bunch of former DADT soldiers dancing around Bronze Bruce.

Tress
Aaaaaahhhhh << scratching my eyes out>>>

Thanks for the mental image

"Green Beret" and "March" in the same sentence.....REALLY....???

"Face to your left....move out"

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote