Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Arena

Old 05-12-2020, 12:05   #1
Badger52
Area Commander

MLB Abbreviated Season

MLB owners approve plan to start season in July

NEW YORK (AP) — A person familiar with the decision tells The Associated Press that Major League Baseball owners have given the go-ahead to making a proposal to the players’ union that could lead to the coronavirus-delayed season starting around the Fourth of July weekend in ballparks without fans.

The plan Monday envisions expanding the designated hitter to the National League for 2020. Boo! Hisssss! Throw the bums out! I'll need to get a damn mourning band for my Cubs hat. (And no, I don't care, and there is no argument, rational or emotion-based, that will move me off that position because baseball.)

Spring training would start in early to mid-June. Each team would play about 82 regular-season games, most against opponents in its own division. Postseason play would be expanded from 10 clubs to 14 by doubling wild cards in each league to four.

LINK Thingy

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 13:38   #2
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

What I've been hearing is that the Player's Union is most likely going to reject the offer or at least make a lot of back and forth occur. Pro-rated salaries and 50:50 revenue splits.

Badger, you knew the DH was coming to the NL. Too much made of the long-ball for them to miss out on a Big Poppy or other such personality.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 13:44   #3
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Badger, you knew the DH was coming to the NL. Too much made of the long-ball for them to miss out on a Big Poppy or other such personality.
Yeah, you're right. I don't appear to learn very well anymore; I keep hoping someone will just flat out do the right thing and "hope" ain't no plan.

Meanwhile, I stumbled across an old article from 2013 or so, from when the notion of the "juiced baseball" started getting bandied about. The article is pretty good in discussing the life of the baseball itself, so may be of interest to die-hards, just for love of the game. A snippet:

Quote:
In order to juice balls, MLB would need cooperation among the cork makers in Mississippi, the yarn spinners in Vermont and the hide sewers in Costa Rica, plus those who test the balls in St. Louis, and the final layers of quality control, the clubhouse attendants who rub them with mud and the umpires who keep a bagful at a time.

In other words, juicing the ball would require a complicated conspiracy that a lot of people would have to be in on.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 05-12-2020, 14:52   #4
PSM
Area Commander

I don't think that baseball at any level is the same without fans. It will be like watching practice.

Now NASCAR is opening without fans and I don't think that it will make much of a difference.

Golf is quiet anyway and so is tennis.

Basketball and hockey would suck. Probably football, too, but less so.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 15:03   #5
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
I don't think that baseball at any level is the same without fans. It will be like watching practice.
Quite so. No great panning shots, no fans all standing for the impending 3rd strike of the 3rd out of a pitcher's battling out of a jam, no baseballs caught by kids who brought their glove...

and, if it's possible, Joe Buck will run his mouth even more than he does now.

Old 05-12-2020, 16:55   #6
PSM
Area Commander

I've really enjoyed watching the virtual NASCAR races. It's also fun seeing old faces driving IndyCars of the past.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:52   #7
Badger52
Area Commander

Soft fly ball...

Quote:
The executive board of the Major League Baseball Players Association rejected a proposed 60-game schedule by a 33-5 vote, daring Commissioner Rob Manfred to give a unilateral order for the regular season’s start and provoke what figures to be lengthy and costly litigation over the impact of the coronavirus.
LINK

Along with the move to NL DH use, and maybe extra-inning games start with a guy on 2nd & there are ties allowed...
It's just enough to make a guy distrust ANYone in a suit.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:02   #8
Box
Quiet Professional

All forms of sports ball and evenNASCAR are dead to me...
COVID-19 did have a very silver lining - it killed sportsball for a year and locked celebrities in their prisons

go fuck yourself sportsballers
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:09   #9
Pete
Quiet Professional

Can not even recall when was the last time I watched a professional sports game.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:33   #10
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

I believe apathy is taking over as the squabbling continues within MLB...

Average salary

NBA - $8,320,000
MLB - $4,030,000
NFL - $3,260,000
NHL - $2,690,000

LE Officer - $65,400

Soldier - $60,169

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:46   #11
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
I believe apathy is taking over as the squabbling continues within MLB...

Average salary

NBA - $8,320,000
MLB - $4,030,000
NFL - $3,260,000
NHL - $2,690,000

LE Officer - $65,400

Soldier - $60,169
Millionaires that spend more money tipping waitresses and bottle service than a rifleman in the infantry makes in a year - and they are constantly wailing about how badly they are being oppressed by the man.
Millionaire drug addicts, gamblers, and wife beaters...
...and its the average American that needs to be woke.

Its a brave new world out there.........................
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 06-23-2020 at 08:56.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:17   #12
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Millionaires that spend more money tipping waitresses and bottle service than a rifleman in the infantry makes in a year - and they are constantly wailing about how badly they are being oppressed by the man.
Millionaire drug addicts, gamblers, and wife beaters...
...and its the average American that needs to be woke.

Its a brave new world out there.........................
It's sickening, it's not the love of the game, it's for the f'ing money and to complain. I'll never watch another baseball, NASCAR, NHL or football game again.... whiny overpaid shits. I rather watch Curling......

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:37   #13
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
All forms of sports ball and evenNASCAR are dead to me...
COVID-19 did have a very silver lining - it killed sportsball for a year and locked celebrities in their prisons

go fuck yourself sportsballers
My sentiments as well.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote