Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 02-27-2004, 09:22   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Choosing a pocket folding knife.

As a long time Spyderco carrying SF type, I'd like to know what I should be looking for in a new pocket knife.

(the Spyderco edge is wearing thin....)

Strenght, carry comfort, holding an edge, etc.

All comments are welcome.

Team Sergeant
Old 02-27-2004, 09:38   #2
switch100

I've been using my Benchmade 910HS Stryker for a couple years now. The blade is M2 Tool steel; strength has never been an issue (it has been used to both pry and cut) and I've only had to sharpen it once. Grip is durable, but narrow enough to sit in a pocket without bulging. If you don't mind the liner lock, it's a hell of a knife.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:51   #3
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

I am an avid Spyderco fan being a firefighter and all. I have been using a Combo-Edge Rescue for sometime now and could not be happier. Maintenance on the serrated edge gets old, but I have not found a straight edge that cuts webbing, rope, and cloth like the serrated edge.

http://www.usretailgroup.com/images/C14SBK.jpg

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:23   #4
Razor
Quiet Professional

TS,

I tend to carry in my waistband rather than in a pocket, and I've found the CRKT M16 Slim Profile Titanium to work well. The Carson flipper makes opening fast and easy, and the LAWKS goes far in making the liner lock more secure for heavier cutting. I prefer the spearpoint to the tanto model, but that's because I hate sharpening a tanto tip. The blade is a tad over 3.5", which is a decent size to me for everyday utility work. The two downsides are the steel (AUS 8), and the fact the edge is chisel ground, but I've learned to live with it, especially since they go for under $60 at the PX.

http://store6.yimg.com/I/razorlimit1_1776_297354956

I've also happily carried the older model Benchmade AFCK. The newer model Axis locks (vice the old liner lock like mine) are probably even more reliable. I switched to the CRKT not because the Benchmade let me down, but rather because the CRKT had a thinner profile, which rode more comfortably for me.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:25   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

TS:

Spyderco is good, Benchmade would be a step up, especially in D2. Emerson and Strider are good as well.

Mr. Harsey has several nice folders being made by several makers.

The Cadillac is made by Chris Reeve. It is the Sebenza, which is, IMHO, the gold standard for folding knives. It is Titanium and S-30V, and is a cutting machine.

http://www.chrisreeve.com/sebenza.htm

Many models are available with varying degrees of artwork.

The below is one of my favorites.

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sebenza001002.jpg (71.0 KB, 567 views)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:28   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor

I've also happily carried the older model Benchmade AFCK. The newer model Axis locks (vice the old liner lock like mine) are probably even more reliable. I switched to the CRKT not because the Benchmade let me down, but rather because the CRKT had a thinner profile, which rode more comfortably for me.
The last knife I carried before I got the Sebenza was a BM AFCK Axis Lock in D2.

I still carry it when I go to the woods or have to check my blades. While it is expensive, it is a lot less to replace (and easier to get as well) than my Sebenza.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 02-27-2004, 10:34   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

BM 806, AFCK in D2, with serrations. Also available in lesser steels, without serrations, and without the Axis lock.

TR

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr....asp?model=806
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bm 806.jpg (7.7 KB, 477 views)

Old 02-27-2004, 11:37   #8
Tattoo
Asset

TS, I would also like to recommend the Micro tech line of folders. The ATS-34 steel on mine has kept it's edge longer than any other blade I have owned and I try them all out for either work or as a self defense tool.

ROCK
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 15:14   #9
Footmobile
Guerrilla

I'd second the Benchmade 806 D2 w/ Axis lock. I've had mine for about a year and a half now of everyday carry and use and I've only had it sharpened once which it probably didn't even need. Built like a tank and it just looks cool in your hand which is the important part
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 806.jpg (8.1 KB, 353 views)
Footmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 16:21   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The Axis Lock knives have the strongest locks in the business, much more so than any liner lock I am aware of, possibly even the Sebenza, which uses a full side as the lock.

I believe that I could clamp the Axis blade in a vise, put a 3' pipe over the blade, and lift my 200 lbs. off the floor while hanging on it.

I challenge anyone to replicate that with a conventional liner lock.

TR

Old 02-27-2004, 17:19   #11
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Lot's of good knives listed here, keep calling them out, I want to see what you guys like and why. Reaper, The strongest knife joint of course is in a fixed blade. Your right, many mechanisms have some weak point. This does NOT apply to you guys but I've heard it said If you make something idiot proof, they will make a better idiot. Something about this seems to apply to designing folding knife joints. With a properly designed and executed liner lock, point of failure in your vise test is the knife jamming into full open and locked position. Some liner locking knives have too big a cutout relief in the handle side opposite the spring to unlock the blade. The user can potentially, accidently unlock the knife by gripping and twisting. Reeve has sidestepped all this with rock solid design and execution. (I'm not even getting paid to say that).
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 17:26   #12
Air.177
Quiet Professional

I carry either a Spyderco Police model, a Gerber Applegate/Fairbain folder, or a Cold Steel Large Gunsite Folder. And all of these knives have been great for everything I have asked them to do.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 17:41   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Congratulations, I believe you carry one of Mr. Harsey's designs!

I own several Spydercos as well, and used to carry them, hard to beat Spydercos, especially the Endura and Delica for the price.

TS, in rereading your original post, the most comfortable folder I own is an Al Mar Eagle.

TR

Old 02-27-2004, 17:57   #14
Air.177
Quiet Professional

In that case, Thank you Mr. Harsey for Designing one of my favorite pocket Knives.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 19:39   #15
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I'm reading and searching the internet looking for the knives being posted. I'm going to wait till the next gunshow here and try a few.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

TS