Old 05-01-2019, 02:01   #2506
SolidJune
Asset

Introduction

First thing first, thank you to all of you who take time out of your day to answer everyone's question about SF. I came to this website with a million and one questions and after reading through this forum for the past 3 days they have all been answered and more.

My name is Jeffrey, I was born in Honduras and moved here to the US at the age of 7. I have been raised all my life 20 minutes from D.C. in Northern Virginia. I have come to love this country and all the opportunities it has given me and my family. I will be joining the Army as an 11x with hopefully an option 4. I have gone through MEPS and been cleared, just waiting to sign my contract. Initially I wanted to join as an 18x but being a permanent resident I will go the route of joining first and then submitting my SF packet. I have read Get Selected twice now. With this forum and Get Selected I'm on full throttle with "Cast or Tab." I look forward to learning more from this forum as I go through my journey in the Army. Thanks for having me and thanks for making this site possible.
SolidJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:57   #2507
BlackSunrise
Quiet Professional

Intro post

Greetings,

My name is Brian and it is great to be apart of this site! I have gained a lot of useful information from the QPs in many threads prior to going to SFQC in 2006 and throughout my attendance in the "Q" as a young 18E candidate. I have also returned many times to this site while deployed looking up great information on either MOS specific topics or relevant theater knowledge. It's been way to long to not be a member here!!

I graduated the "Q" in 2007 and was assigned to 1/10 SFG(A) as an 18E in late 2007. Since then I have served on multiple deployments across Eastern Europe, Africa and Afghanistan. It has been one hell of a ride with 10 years straight team time; serving on SFOD-As 0124, 0334,0316 and 0314-most of those years spent on MFF teams.

I am currently a 180A and serve as the TSD OIC for 10th SFG(A). I have 20 years of overall military service (also had a three year break in service before I came back in and went SF). Prior MOS's include; 11C, 88N, and of course 18E.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to participate in some worthwhile conversations and lend some knowledge and experience as well as continue learning from others and adding to my toolbox-this is a great place to do both!

Love the job, love the brotherhood,

DOL!

Last edited by BlackSunrise; 05-06-2019 at 13:01.
BlackSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:24   #2508
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSunrise View Post
Greetings,

My name is Brian and it is great to be apart of this site! I have gained a lot of useful information from the QPs in many threads prior to going to SFQC in 2006 and throughout my attendance in the "Q" as a young 18E candidate. I have also returned many times to this site while deployed looking up great information on either MOS specific topics or relevant theater knowledge. It's been way to long to not be a member here!!

I graduated the "Q" in 2007 and was assigned to 1/10 SFG(A) as an 18E in late 2007. Since then I have served on multiple deployments across Eastern Europe, Africa and Afghanistan. It has been one hell of a ride with 10 years straight team time; serving on SFOD-As 0124, 0334,0316 and 0314-most of those years spent on MFF teams.

I am currently a 180A and serve as the TSD OIC for 10th SFG(A). I have 20 years of overall military service (also had a three year break in service before I came back in and went SF). Prior MOS's include; 11C, 88N, and of course 18E.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to participate in some worthwhile conversations and lend some knowledge and experience as well as continue learning from others and adding to my toolbox-this is a great place to do both!

Love the job, love the brotherhood,

DOL!
Welcome aboard. You just missed me, I left the committee as a civ instructor in Sep 06 to go up to DOT-D. However I frequent the committee at least 2X a week All the Civ instructor gang are still there. Doing good things.

Keep on driving on... DOL
Old 05-07-2019, 10:36   #2509
PRB
Quiet Professional

Welcome back to the site Chief.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:30   #2510
BlackSunrise
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
Welcome aboard. You just missed me, I left the committee as a civ instructor in Sep 06 to go up to DOT-D. However I frequent the committee at least 2X a week All the Civ instructor gang are still there. Doing good things.

Keep on driving on... DOL
Thanks, I've been back a few times to visit myself. The old compound is set up quite different now from when I attended the course. I wont forget all the damn p.t. we did out in those woods before class!
Old 05-08-2019, 10:32   #2511
BlackSunrise
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
Welcome back to the site Chief.
Thanks PRB! Ahhh, just kicking myself for waiting so long to become a member here!
Old 05-27-2019, 03:08   #2512
JerseyDevil
Asset

Intro

Hey gents,

Infantry Officer in the USMC(R). Cop in my other life. Currently downrange and had an opportunity to spend a day with an ODA Tm for some down time training. Great group of guys. True professionals and incredibly generous with their time for my Marines.

Until now I knew basically zero about Army SF/ODA. Had no idea there was a reserve option through the NG. Was planning on getting out after this pump and focussing on civ life, but this experience has me reconsidering. I've been researching the USMC officer to NG SF enlisted process. As a grunt officer in a rifle company, you're spoiled by being given the best job up front (Plt Cmdr), and that time is coming to an end for me.

This site has been a tremendous resource. I've sent a request for info via the generic email addresses to the Rhode Island (19) and Massachusetts (20) units to find out about any upcoming SFREs when I get back home. Waiting to hear back. Email/WhatsApp is my only comm capability at the moment.
JerseyDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:26   #2513
PretzelFactory
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
Hey gents,

Infantry Officer in the USMC(R). Cop in my other life. Currently downrange and had an opportunity to spend a day with an ODA Tm for some down time training. Great group of guys. True professionals and incredibly generous with their time for my Marines.

Until now I knew basically zero about Army SF/ODA. Had no idea there was a reserve option through the NG. Was planning on getting out after this pump and focussing on civ life, but this experience has me reconsidering. I've been researching the USMC officer to NG SF enlisted process. As a grunt officer in a rifle company, you're spoiled by being given the best job up front (Plt Cmdr), and that time is coming to an end for me.

This site has been a tremendous resource. I've sent a request for info via the generic email addresses to the Rhode Island (19) and Massachusetts (20) units to find out about any upcoming SFREs when I get back home. Waiting to hear back. Email/WhatsApp is my only comm capability at the moment.

Shoot me a PM, I am from South Philadelphia and will be attending SFREs with NC (20th). There are a few this summer.
PretzelFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 14:33   #2514
FishOnHisHead
Asset

Introduction

Good afternoon,

I have been observing this forum as a guest since I began my train-up for SFAS about six months ago. I am thankful, and happy to say that all of my questions have been answered by those who have contributed to this wealth of knowledge in the past. I recently enlisted under a REP-63 contract with the Utah ARNG and as my ship date approaches (September) I plan on posting regularly to the "What are you currently doing to prepare for SFAS or SFRE" Thread as it is one of many that has helped me to train.

My name is Max and I am 22 years old. I speak Swedish and am currently working on French and Spanish. I am a certified EMT and a fabricator by trade. After trying to enlist for almost a year all I can say is that every day is a step forward and a chance to become stronger. This forum is a wonderful tool to help with that goal. I hope one day to be able to contribute to this forum as a QP but today I am thankful for the knowledge at hand.

Sincerely,

Max
FishOnHisHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 17:49   #2515
Little Fish
Asset

Greetings all from Oz.
Need to be pardoned for using a wrong page.
I came here specifically to remember the SF ambiance; to try to find info about a former and eternal love.
As well I was hoping to connect with anyone who RnRd in Sydney, specifically at the Oceanic Hotel Coogee. My brother was the young manager there in late 60s and 70s. There were friendships made and lost. He is battling prostate cancer and we often talk about that wonderful time.Lots of you came back 3 and even 4 times.
Thought it might be a way to cheer him up as he is great at recognising names. He attended some of your weddings and generally hid you from JAG. I am his little sister and sat in awe and wonder listening to your stories.
Anyway. Nice to be here.
We just heard that our navy pilots were lasered by chinese "trawlers" in the south china seas. Who knows? Maybe you'll be back here some day to back up the 19000 marines stationed at Darwin!
Ciao ladies and gents...off for a surf.
Little Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:41   #2516
iintc22
Asset

Hello,

I was in the Army for a little under two years and was discharged for misconduct. After several recruiters and years of trying to get back in, last year I got a misconduct waiver approved and re-enlisted onto active duty. Though I passed at MEPS, I failed the hearing test at 30th AG and was medically discharged within a month. I am currently trying to re-enlist again, my goal is to become a Special Forces soldier. I came to this site to learn as much as I can and to seek a mentor.
iintc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 13:44   #2517
BlackSunrise
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by iintc22 View Post
Hello,

I was in the Army for a little under two years and was discharged for misconduct. After several recruiters and years of trying to get back in, last year I got a misconduct waiver approved and re-enlisted onto active duty. Though I passed at MEPS, I failed the hearing test at 30th AG and was medically discharged within a month. I am currently trying to re-enlist again, my goal is to become a Special Forces soldier. I came to this site to learn as much as I can and to seek a mentor.
iintc22,

You may want to ask yourself if a military career path is for you. Not trying to dissuade you from achieving your dream of going SF but from the past issues you listed it doesn't look like things are stacking up in your favor. I admire the never quit attitude and your lofty goals but some times you have to call it what it is...a spade is a spade type thing. However if you continue to pursue your military re-entry I wish you the best of luck. Your 25m target should just focus on getting back in the door-the SF path is still a 1000m shot. In the mean time you can learn a lot just from visiting the other forums and posts available in this site.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:08   #2518
BlackSunrise
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by iintc22 View Post
Hello,

In response to your PM (not sure if you got my response there due to latency issues on my computer):

I served all my regular Army time before I went SF. I had a three year break in service and when I came back in on active duty they re-classed me from the Infantry to the Transportation Core. Umm, yeah that. I guess at the time the Transportation Core were getting blown up with IEDs causing a deficit in all MOSs. When I came back in my sole purpose was to go SF, the MOS change didn’t exempt me from attending SFAS…and the rest is history.

As for your question about how commands view guys going over to the SOF side of the house…depends on the command. In the Infantry I saw a lot of my peers get black listed by the units; platoon leadership would keep them busy with details as much as possible reducing their personal time to train up. This made some really late nights for most guys. However, this wasn’t the case for me, since I was re-classed to a soft skill MOS and being the only Infantry guy in the unit coupled with extreme motivation to not serve the rest of my career in that God forsaken MOS-I out performed everybody in the unit, won a bunch of awards for them and also became the lead master trainer for all BN Infantry skill level tasks/training. The latter put me in good graces with the BC and CSM, additionally I scored over 300 on the PT test extended scale allowing me to be able to conduct my own training during morning PT instead of doing unit exercises. So within less than a year in the unit I passed selection, while awaiting orders for SFQC the unit just basically left me alone. From what I’ve seen and heard my case wasn’t the norm. Most (defiantly not all) guys that try out for SF tend to be high unit performers and leaders. Senior NCOs and CMDRs don’t like to lose their talent or experienced guys so they make life a lot harder. Some are just jealous or emotional due to maybe having tried out themselves and getting non-selected, some feel you are betraying the unit by wanting to leave or possibly just being too afraid to even try out themselves (fear of failure).

Just to note; commanders cannot stop someone from attending SFAS unless they are deployed/deploying or have an extenuating circumstance. Once you get a go from an SF recruiter and get orders to attend SFAS the rest is on you. You can let the chain of command know what your intentions are out of curtesy but they can’t stop you just because they don’t want you to leave the unit. Again if this happens, it might be a battle and not an easy process to overcome with the unit but not impossible.

Lastly, when I came back in on active status an 18X program was not available for me as well. In hindsight this was a good thing. SOPC is a great course for physical conditioning-most guys that go through it are PT/ruck marching studs. I did know a few prior service guys that got into the program, but hated it being older more experienced guys with families because they were always under cadre control (resembling the basic training environment). For example, the after our class was selected and we got back to main post all the SOPC guys had to go back to the barracks and clean for a GI inspection while all the regular Army dudes got to go out and celebrate and smash beers together.

Anyway, wish you the best of luck on your journey through your own circumstances-just make wise, informed decisions.
Old 06-07-2019, 22:33   #2519
hankcramer
Asset

New On Board

Greetings. I'm a retired support soldier who served in SF. My father was an original SF soldier, KIA in Vietnam. I look forward to learning some history and making connections.
hankcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:53   #2520
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankcramer View Post
Greetings. I'm a retired support soldier who served in SF. My father was an original SF soldier, KIA in Vietnam. I look forward to learning some history and making connections.
Welcome. I am sure you will find some old friends.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote