Old 02-17-2004, 17:03   #1
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

1911 style .45

I am about to purchase a new pistol. After shooting a family members .45 commander for the last few years, I have decided that I "need" a 1911 style .45. My uses for this pistol will be for home defense/ personal carry firearm (concealed)/improving my recreation shooting accuracy.

My desires:
I place #1 priority on functional reliability shooting both plinking ammo as well as the personal defense loads. My next priority is not really the ability to completely conceal but to have a ?comfortable? carry gun when wearing a jacket. This is why I am considering the 4? version verses the 5?. I usually carry my pistols using an inside of the belt type holster with the pistol tilted/angled forward on the right rear hip. Craftsmanship and long lasting quality parts are also important to me. Price range I am looking is from $800-$2000.

About me:
I am competent with a pistol and plan on negotiating with one of the most highly trained combat shooters I know for individualized training . Although I won?t be in the national title matches, I have a desire to work with a pistol that will have the potential to function at any level I can achieve without restricting my potential. I have the facilities available near me for a lot of training, shooting, etc. FWIW, The cost of a weapon in my listed range will not hinder my ability to purchase enough ammo for proper practice.

Questions: For those that carry/have carried a 1911 type pistol:

1. Does the small difference in barrel length from 5? to 4? make much difference to you in carry comfort?

2. What is the accuracy of a standard plane Jane 1911 5? barrel pistol at 25yrds? ( I ask this to determine just how much more accurate the customized pistols are compared to the standard. Some custom models claim 1.5 inches 3 shots at 25yds with a 4? model and 1? at 25yds for the 5?)

3. Do you agree with the choice of the 4? barrel knowing my purpose for this pistol?

4. Besides night sights, any other features you would recommend that aren?t considered ?standard? on the most custom level pistols. Most all seem to have ambidex safety, front strap machining, match barrels, nice/crisp 3-4 lb triggers, beavertail grip safety

5. What brand./model pistol would you buy if looking for what I have described? I am thinking hard about the Wilson CQB compact, MODEL WCQBC-A-A . Here is a link http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_cqb_compact.asp

Any comments are appreciated. I realize this asks a lot of you to spend your time giving me advice. I thank you in advance.

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 04-07-2004 at 20:46.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 17:08   #2
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Talking

BTW- After I get some real advice, everyone can save up the following type comments for me, as NDD has already made it clear that I am over my head purchasing a bullet launcher of this quality. LOL

Quote:
NDD over the last two days…LOL

The Holy Gospel of John (Moses Browning)
1. In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it worketh. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain.
2. And shouldst thou muck with it and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm…..(continued)… plagiarized from somewhere else - for Sacamuelas.

and

Good news here is we only have too problems… (2) Sacamuelas buying too much gun

and

On another note, WTH are you buying a pistol that will out shoot you for?
Please save some of this for after I get some serious advice. LOL
Old 02-17-2004, 17:20   #3
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
About me: I am competent with a pistol
Can I do just one more before you start getting serious advice?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 17:26   #4
brownapple

Re: 1911 style .45

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas

1. Does the small difference in barrel length from 5” to 4” make much difference to you in carry comfort?

Not to me. I'm used to the 5" and prefer it.

Quote:
2. What is the accuracy of a standard plane Jane 1911 5” barrel pistol at 25yrds? ( I ask this to determine just how much more accurate the customized pistols are compared to the standard. Some custom models claim 1.5 inches 3 shots at 25yds with a 4” model and 1” at 25yds for the 5”)
I've carried 3 different 1911s in my life.
1. A M1911 issued by the US Army that I could shoot 2" groups with at 25 yds.
2. A Mk. IV Series '70 with a National Match barrel that I could shoot 2" groups with at 25 yds (although I expect the weapon was capable of better).
3. A 1911A1 that fires about 3.5" groups at 25 yds. This weapon has seen a lot of use.

Quote:
3. Do you agree with the choice of the 4” barrel knowing my purpose for this pistol?
If you are comfortable with it? Sure.

Quote:
4. Besides night sights, any other features you would recommend that aren’t considered “standard” on the most custom level pistols. Most all seem to have ambidex safety, front strap machining, match barrels, nice/crisp 3-4 lb triggers, beavertail grip safety
All that is necessary are good sights, a good trigger and reliability. The rest of what is important is provided by the shooter.

Quote:
5. What brand./model pistol would you buy if looking for what I have described? I am thinking hard about the Wilson CQB compact, MODEL WCQBC-A-A . Here is a link http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_cqb_compact.asp

Any comments are appreciated. I realize this asks a lot of you to spend your time giving me advice. I thank you in advance.
I'm not that familiar with what is on the market these days. Wilson makes a good pistol. So do lots of others.
Old 02-17-2004, 18:51   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Re: 1911 style .45

Quote:

1. Does the small difference in barrel length from 5” to 4” make much difference to you in carry comfort?
Yes. I also prefer the alloy frame for the same reason, and carry the extra weight in ammo (a double stack).

Incidentally, a Commander has a 4.25 inch barrel, the Kimber and Paras are 4 inches even.

Quote:
2. What is the accuracy of a standard plane Jane 1911 5” barrel pistol at 25yrds? ( I ask this to determine just how much more accurate the customized pistols are compared to the standard. Some custom models claim 1.5 inches 3 shots at 25yds with a 4” model and 1” at 25yds for the 5”)
Some from the old arms room days would barely hold 8" at 25 yds. Les Baer will guarantee 1.5" from his. Why are you shooting at a bad guy at 25 yds. What threat does he present at that range? Can you justify shooting someone at that range?

Quote:
3. Do you agree with the choice of the 4” barrel knowing my purpose for this pistol?
Yes. I carry a 3.5" barrelled pistol for concealment.

Quote:
4. Besides night sights, any other features you would recommend that aren’t considered “standard” on the most custom level pistols. Most all seem to have ambidex safety, front strap machining, match barrels, nice/crisp 3-4 lb triggers, beavertail grip safety
Novak night sights (regulated for your loads), opened and flared ejection port, front cocking serrations, tuned extractor, 18-22# Wolff recoil spring and Wolff springs throughout, reworked plunger tube, OT adjustable lightweight trigger, ambi extended safety, beavertail grip safety, aftermarket ramped barrel and solid bushing (if not included, I like Kart and BarSto), fitted trigger components, 30 lpi or better checkered front strap, S&A combo mainspring housing and mag well, trigger job, function tune, carry package, bevel and break all corners and edges, best mags available, tuned for the loads and gun.

Quote:
Most gunsmiths make the poackage above, plus or minus a few pieces, from Larry Vickers down to the guy in your town. For a carry piece, I would stick with a name builder with a good rep who does most of his own work. Look in American Handgunner or check with the American Pistolsmith's Guild.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 22:44   #6
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Thumbs up

For those interested in knowing who Larry Vickers is, here is a link. I knew I had read about him recently in one of my gun magazines. http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m0B...le.jhtml?term=

TR and GH-
Thank you for the advice and personal time it took to type it. I have printed this out for future reference in my decision making process. Unfortunately, L.V.'s creations are out of my $$$ range, and I doubt he would take the time to make one for me (unless you can twist his arm TR ).

I see where Wilson is also making a KZ 45 compact model with a SS slide/barrel and polymer frame. Any feedback on this polymer frame model? It is slightly cheaper, guarantees the same 1.5" 25yrd accuracy, and holds 9+1 verses 7+1 as in the CQB compact. It is still only the normal 1 5/16" wide, same height and length. Two extra rounds and $600 cheaper...makes you think.

I am hesitant about the polymer frame (being a new design) but with the Wilson company its guaranteed for life the of the pistol. Does this pistol have any obvious drawbacks? I see it doesn't have the exact list of TR recommended items.
I like the look of this WKZC-A-S model.
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_kz45_compact.asp

I am still leaning towards the CQB compact since it seems to have a more parallel parts spec sheet with what you suggest TR.
Any other choices/preferences that would like to be shared? Your advice is appreciated. Or is it time for the jokes.....NDD, you still lurking? LOL

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 02-17-2004 at 22:51.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:09   #7
QuietShootr

I can't speak to the compact, but I have a full-size CQB that is my daily carry piece. It's absolutely dead-nuts reliable, accurate like a laser, and comfortable to carry in spite of its weight and size, because it has NO sharp edges or points. Its trigger is a measured 3.0# and crisp.

If the compacts are as good as this one, and I have no reason to think they aren't, I may have to have one of those too. I do prefer the 5", though. It's a little easier to shoot when you're really pushing your limits. I can do a sub-4.5 second Dozier on demand with my CQB, and I don't think I could run that fast with the same degree of accuracy with a compact.

YMMV.

Edit: yeah, there are those that hold that 1 second or so won't make a difference. Maybe they're right, but if I'm wrong, I'm still upright and unperforated. And BGs aren't always alone...

Last edited by QuietShootr; 02-20-2004 at 07:13.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:18   #8
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Im carrying a Springfield Champion, like the size ect. Out of the box it's a dam good concealed carry gun. Runs everything from Wall Mart Range ammo to LE Hydroshocks with no troubles. When I get back home I will time QS with it and see how well he can shoot it.
Old 02-20-2004, 13:07   #9
QuietShootr

Might be an interesting test - I've never shot a short 1911 side by side with a full size for speed. I'd think maybe the first round might be a hair quicker due to less weight and less length on the drawstroke, but I bet the splits will be slower, FWIW.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:27   #10
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Thumbs up

Well, I spent yesterday getting familiar with my new .45 pistol. I combined Reaper’s and GH's advice to find a weapon that fit my personal needs. I even ended up using a little NDD advice too. LOL QS and Psywar- I appreciate your experiences as well.

Concerning my "need" to by a Wilson, I got on http://forums.1911forum.com/ and read every post I could about the different gun makers-custom and factory. After thinking about the subtle advice I have seen from NDD and GH, I decided I would go look at other maker’s weapons and try them out before I ordered a "guru" gun from Wilson.

Anyway, I wore an old KC custom gun leather IWB holster (similar to a summer special type model) to the gun shop. I tried the different sized .45 in the holster and in my hand for comfort/fit/conceal. I decided the 4" barrel/full size AL frame was the best fit for my needs. Did a few dry fires with the different guns to get an idea of the quality of triggers as well. Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

I ended up buying a Kimber Custom Pro CDP II. It has a 4" SS match grade bull barrel hand fitted to the slide, full size aluminum lower with beveled mag well, Meprolight night sights, 30 LPI front strap checkering, 3 1/2-4lb match alum. trigger, dehorned(melted is what Kimber calls it), lowered/flared ejection port, and beavertail grip safety.
http://www.kimberamerica.com/cdp.php

I am sure it is not comparable to a Wilson, but it really seems like a quality first gun for my introduction into the 1911 .45 world. It conceals quite nicely on me, even with just a T-shirt over it.

I borrowed two Wilson 8 rd mags and took it to the country for a little shooting. Put around 200 rounds through it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Per Reapers common sense, I am practicing shooting at 5 and 15 yards for now. Initial response- This little gun is very accurate and reliable.

I saved around $1000 bucks verses the Wilson CQB compact too. I did order four 8 rd Wilson mags with the aluminum bases last night. I have read bad things about the flat/split metal follower on the Kimber mags when used with AL lowers.

Only thing I didn't like about it during my initial shooting was that it has a flat contoured "plastic" mainspring housing that is poorly/roughly checkered. I am now looking for an AL replacement that has 30 LPI checkering. I have a spare steel part that is substantially heavier compared to the plastic so I think an AL (with its luster similar to SS)type would be a better compromise in weight/strength/feel/looks.

Assuming this gun continues to fire reliably, is it wise to worry about changing to name brand spring kits(WOLF) before it comes time to replace them around 800-1000 rounds?

Again thanks for all the help. If there are any other suggestions, please chime in. I am listening.
*** edited to fix broken/misstyped link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg procdp_ii.jpg (8.9 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 03-29-2004 at 10:15.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:53   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Excellent choice, and a very logical way to select the right piece.

Oddly enough, Wilson and Kimber use many of the same parts from the same company.

Call S&A and get their checkered steel mainspring housing and combo mag guide. You will not be sorry. The flat model fits most people with small to medium sized hands best. The full arched model will cause most people grip issues and will tend to point the muzzle slightly high for a natural aim.

Check the mag release button. If it is not steel, replace that as well. Stay away from the race gun parts.

Wait till break in is complete to change springs. Burn 500 rounds or so of full house FMJ. Then function test at least 100 rounds of your carry ammo and mags. Function test at least 50 rounds any time you change things, like the springs or mags.

Good luck and happy shooting!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Last edited by The Reaper; 02-23-2004 at 10:55.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:24   #12
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Thumbs up

Thank you TR.
I looked up the mag release on it to be sure.
"...Stainless steel small parts like the slide release, magazine release, beavertail grip safety..."
I should be good.

When I tore it down/cleaned it last night, I noticed I am going to need some sort of tool to compress the recoil spring back onto the guide rod once it has been removed and cleaned. It has a full-length guide rod (wasn’t my first choice) and this makes it necessary to compress and temporarily pin the spring and spring follower (?) in place- compressed- during disassemble/assembly. This is only a necessary procedure when you want to take the recoil spring completely off the guide rod for a thorough "at home" type cleaning verses a quick wipe down lube at the range. Anyone else other than TR have an idea/link on finding this tool? I hate to keep asking him for help, if not he will end up wanting to put me on his taxes too!

Currently, I am only shooting FMJ 230 gr. loads (they are the low cost Remington UMC) right now. I will transition to the carry ammo and test them like you suggest after the break-in period.

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 02-23-2004 at 11:35.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:44   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Be sure to keep it well lubed while breaking in the piece.

The weight of a steel vs. an aluminum MSH (never seen one in Al) is not significant, it is a high abrasion part, and a failure is catastrophic, the pistol will not go boom if you drop it and break it.

TR

Old 02-23-2004, 11:50   #14
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Thumbs up Thank you

Alright, Steel it will be. Going to find the website for the company you recommended.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:53   #15
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

ANOTHER question.... I will not claim myself on my taxes this year. LOL

Smith/Alexander right??? Or is it a different maker?