Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > And Some Gave All.... > TAPS

Old 12-24-2009, 04:43   #31
wet dog

Bob Howard has slipped into the jounals of the likes of Larry Thorne. I'm going to miss just knowing he was around while I walked this Earth.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:31   #32
ArtR
Asset

Rest In Peace Bob
ArtR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:11   #33
jdl141
Quiet Professional

RIP Sir.

May God Bless you and your family for all your sacrifices.

You will not be forgotten.
jdl141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:16   #34
jdl141
Quiet Professional

For those of you that did not see this, it is a nice piece done by Brian Willams on the Col. It aired last night on NBC Nightly News.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#34579550
jdl141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:38   #35
csquare
Quiet Professional

http://www.mysanantonio.com/military...ies_at_70.html

Rest in peace Colonel. Prayers out to the family.
I do not regret a day I spent in uniform—I’m immensely proud of my service. If I’ve learned anything, I’ve learned what a truly remarkable thing it is to be a combat veteran. Now I want to live an exceptional life for those who never made it home.
csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:01   #36
slammer567
Quiet Professional

Rest in peace Sir
slammer567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:22   #37
TitratetoEffect
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace, Colonel

Phil
Old 12-24-2009, 08:40   #38
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Farewell, Sir.
I hope soldiers in heaven have their rucks packed properly, are in the correct uniform and can keep up with you.
Thank you for everything, you will be missed.
De Oppresso Liber.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:40   #39
Stras
Quiet Professional

A Warrior Passes in Texas

Rest in Peace Sir. It was an honor to meet you in Iraq in 2006.

A Warrior Passes in Texas
December 24, 2009
Military.com|by Bryant Jordan

Retired Army Col. Robert L. Howard, a Medal of Honor recipient for combat action in Vietnam in 1968 and one of the America's most highly decorated Soldiers, died Dec. 23 in Waco, Texas.
The 70-year-old Howard died in a hospice in Waco, according to a report in the San Antonio Express News today. The paper, quoting a longtime friend of Howard's, retired Sgt. Maj. Benito Guerrero, said Howard had been suffering from pancreatic cancer.
Howard began his Army career as an enlisted man. During one 13-month tour in Vietnam he was nominated for the Medal of Honor three times, but in the first instance the award was downgraded to the Distinguished Service Cross. Several biographies say that downgrade, as well as another -- to the Silver Star -- was to avoid the problem of noting in the Medal of Honor citation specifics of the combat operations, which were covert.
But one nomination did result in the awarding of the MoH. It was presented to him by President Richard Nixon during a White House ceremony in 1971.
Howard was a sergeant first class assigned to the 5th Special Forces Group in December 1968 when his unit came under heavy enemy fire while on a mission to rescue a missing U.S. Soldier. Howard was wounded -- unable to walk -- and his own weapon was destroyed by a grenade blast, according to his Medal of Honor citation, but seeing his platoon leader wounded and exposed to fire Howard crawled forward under fire to pull the lieutenant back. While administering first aid to the lieutenant an enemy round hit one of the officer's ammo pouches and detonated several magazines. Howard continued to drag the officer back to the rest of the platoon, which he rallied for an organized defense. He crawled from position to position, rendering first aid to the wounded and directing fire on the surrounding enemy force that was estimated to include two companies. For more than three hours, according to the citation, his platoon, aided by air support, repulsed enemy attacks until it was possible for helicopters to extract the Soldiers. Howard was the last man to board the aircraft.
Howard was born on July 11, 1939 in Opelika, Ala. He entered the Army in 1956, still only 17, and retired as a colonel in 1992.
He was wounded 14 times during a total of 54 months of combat duty in Vietnam and was awarded eight Purple Hearts, according to his obituary.
Howard is survived by his children, Denicia Howard of Florida; Melissa Gentsch and husband, Asst. Chief of Police Frank Gentsch of Waco; Rosslyn Howard of California; Robert Howard Jr. and wife, Tori, of California; and his grandchildren, Victoria Batey and husband, Luke, of Denton, Texas, Holley Gentsch of Waco; Trey Howard of California; and Isabella Gentsch of Waco.
Howard will be buried with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery in Washington, though specific details have yet to be announced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COL(RET) Bob Howard (MOH).jpg (21.1 KB, 74 views)

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:03   #40
glebo
Quiet Professional

Truly a very bad day for America.

Most will never know what it takes to defend our freedom and do our duty.

RIP Sir. You will NEVER be forgotten.

Bobby G
Old 12-24-2009, 10:54   #41
Nick710
Quiet Professional

I had the pleasure (?) of having then MAJ Howard as commander during Phase I of the Q-course (February, 1982). He led every run, ruck and other assorted PT event. He smoked every one of us and we were 20 years his junior!

Probably the only man, the sight of which, actually struck fear in me. That fear turned into respect. We truly have lost one of a kind. Rest in Peace Colonel. I hope to see you again.
Nick710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:56   #42
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

Rest in Peace Sir, Rest in peace.
Theodore Roosevelt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle
swpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:13   #43
frostfire
Area Commander

Rest in everlasting peace, Sir.
Truly a larger-than-life inspiration, exemplary of courage, service, and humility.

Farewell, patriot.
*salute!*

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:31   #44
Goggles Pizano
Area Commander

In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, Amen.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium. Imperet illi Deus, supplices deprecamur: tuque, Princeps militiae coelestis, Satanam aliosque spiritus malignos, qui ad perditionem animarum pervagantur in mundo, divina virtute, in infernum detrude. Amen.
Our grateful nation cannot thank you enough Col. Howard. In pace requiescat Sir. Dominus vobiscum.
You ask; What is our policy? I will say; “It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us: to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy.” You ask; What is our aim? I can answer with one word: Victory—victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.-Winston Churchill
Goggles Pizano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:40   #45
Enigma0122
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace, Sir.

Your legacy will live on , and inspire many to follow you. God Bless You , your family, friends and fellow warriors left behind.

Truly, one of the greatest of Hero's, this country ever produced. Let this great country of ours never forget the likes of Col. Bob Howard. (MOH), and pay tribute to this great Warrior.