Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 02-10-2004, 00:19   #16
GackMan
Guerrilla

Re: M4 SOPMOD Reflex Sight

Quote:
Originally posted by Basenshukai
What are your experiences with the Reflex Sight and what did you do to fix it?
Are you using the polarized filter or the 'kill flash'?

Other than getting rid of the sight (as suggested by others) and replacing it…

You could add the filter & make the reticule seem brighter since you are making the sight picture darker.

It helps you pick up the dot in bright light but them makes the sight picture really dark if you get sudden clouds, step into some shade, into a building, etc.

catch 22
GackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:16   #17
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

I'll research the filter idea. I had not considered that before. Thank you.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:34   #18
ODA 564
Quiet Professional

Not to critize...

But coming from the days when we thought having M-16A2s was 'high speed' and the standard optic was the Mk. I eyeball...

I have a Trijicon Reflex sight on my rifle and find it more than useable under all conditions - when the alternative is iron sights and the 1954 model (modified 1996) of the MK. I eyeball, hazel, 2 ea.

Using an 'A2' reciever (i.e. carrying handle), it co-witnesses my iron sights.

Mine is the battery-less model.

Superior training and marksmanship is the deciding factor (IMHO) over Hajis using AKs, crappy AK iron sights, and 'spray and pray' as their TTP.

The old 'quick kill', using iron sights on an M-16, will produce an outstanding reactive shooter.

Of course, a better sight helps. But the man is the weapon; the rifle and sight only the tool.

Mine should be gone by now, right?
ODA 564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 20:50   #19
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by ODA 564
Not to critize...

But coming from the days when we thought having M-16A2s was 'high speed' and the standard optic was the Mk. I eyeball...

I have a Trijicon Reflex sight on my rifle and find it more than useable under all conditions - when the alternative is iron sights and the 1954 model (modified 1996) of the MK. I eyeball, hazel, 2 ea.

Using an 'A2' reciever (i.e. carrying handle), it co-witnesses my iron sights.

Mine is the battery-less model.

Superior training and marksmanship is the deciding factor (IMHO) over Hajis using AKs, crappy AK iron sights, and 'spray and pray' as their TTP.

The old 'quick kill', using iron sights on an M-16, will produce an outstanding reactive shooter.

Of course, a better sight helps. But the man is the weapon; the rifle and sight only the tool.
There is no way I can disagree with your post. I will add some proper context to my query. At the time of the original post, we were in the middle of Advanced Marksmanship Training. While we trained extensively with the flip-up iron sights, we saw the tremendous value that could be found in a reflex sight in a very low light environment with short distance engagements. It allows for both eyes to be open as well which enhances situational awareness. I believe SF to be one of the few organizations in the Army that marries tough and realistic advanced marksmanship with the available technology to produce a shooter that can operate with, or without the benefit of optics.

... but, we still want those EOTECHS
Old 02-11-2004, 10:14   #20
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I was fortunate enough to be in training when we first started getting some new technology. Technology that now is probably considered archaic and laughed at. I hated it - it never seemed to work or went down just at the critical moment. Admittedly, from what I understand, the devices are much more reliable and advanced now than then. Also, even though I've never seen it happen, I suppose even iron sights can be rendered unserviceable (I'm sure there's an E or C out there somewhere that has done it). I also think you should use everything available to gain an advantage.

The dilemma to me is "How do you train on the advanced technology without it becoming a crutch?" I don't think training a percentage on one or the other is going to provide the answer. I have seen people become reliant on devices in literally a matter of minutes and pick up bad habits.

Just another one of those "little" reasons TS and TLs get paid the big bucks I guess.

At least one advantage of the new technology is it appears to be much more expensive. Since my Teammates and I were famous for zinging, the increased cost will probably all but eliminate that.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:18   #21
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

AAR's of Trij Reflex, In Spanish?

I just had an additional duty dropped in my lap. Colombian Army Search and Rescue company is trying to get M4A1s with full SOPMOD kit, except they want the Reflex. Im trying to convince them that they need to go with the Eotech AA model. Thats totally based on my own exp with the Reflex, and the inability to find batteries for the Aimpoint even in Bogota.

Anyone have an AAR in Spanish on the Trij Reflex? At this point im about ready to pull some AAR's off of Arfcom and translate them.

Thanks,

Luke

PS Forgot to add that the briefing to the MOD is manana.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:38   #22
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

We can help with the translations if they're not too long.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 17:47   #23
JGarcia
Guerrilla

M68 CCO

I have read the posts on this thread and I would like to add some comments regarding my experience with the M68 CCO (close combat optic). AKA Aimpoint.

I am not an 18 series soldier, ( I wanna be though) but I am a light infantry squad leader in the Oregon Army National Guard. We have had some unique opportunities to use the CCO here. I read some of the earlier comments on the difficulty using the CCO in bright sunlight. We too discovered this. Our solution was to close the front cover and look at the target with both eyes open .

The red dot light is very bright when you do this and you have no problem seeing the dot on the target. YOU MUST zero the CCO the same way. With the front cover closed. Since there is no magnification on the CCO it really does'nt matter if the front cover is open or not.

We mount the CCO's just forward of the carrying handle of the M4, because we do not have BIS (Back up iron sights). The CCO is mounted on top of the barrel on the RAS.

We shot several ranges with the POLISH G.R.O.M., (and one or two with the US Navy special Boat people, who were really impressed with the M249's) most of them use the Knights Armament M4 (fully auto) with EO Tech, and AN/PEQ6, they transition to 9mm H&K USP. The GROM guys were a really good bunch of people!

We have had no problem securing enough batteries for the CCO prior to departure from Ft. Carson. As the deployment is drawing to a close, I have recently turned in hand fulls on hand fulls of batteries back to supply. I used to carry 3 or 4 in my gear. But as long as you remember to turn it off when you are not on duty the thing lasts a long time.

If you look in the -10 TM for the M68 it lists the battery life at the minimum setting at something akin to the half life of the sun. Granted you can't see the dot at that setting unless you are using your PVS-14's mounted behind the CCO at night.

Which is something else I would like to comment on. If you order the 3x magnifier listed in the back of the -10 TM (under 'additional authorized equipment) for the PVS 14 and mount the 14's on the rail system, behind the CCO it makes for an excellent magnified night vision optic with a nice dot from the CCO for an aimpoint. You can't walk around on patrol like this but in the defense, or sitting a long range ambush its good.

As for durability, well we have a few numbskulls who are not very nice on their equipment and we didnt break any M68 CCO's in one year of field use, under all kinds of conditions. If 19 year old hillbillies from Oregon can't break it, I doubt a professional soldier could either.
JGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 17:57   #24
Air.177
Quiet Professional

NG_M4-Your Method of using the Aimpoint sounds like the old Singlepoint OEG sights from the 70's.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 19:09   #25
ODA 564
Quiet Professional

Singlepoints! I had one.

Used by TF Ivory Coast...

Old 02-12-2004, 19:12   #26
Air.177
Quiet Professional

I heard that they were illegal to import into the US for civilians. Something about too much radioactivity in the illuminator. But, I do recall seeing one for sale in an old magazine.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:45   #27
ODA 564
Quiet Professional

The Singlepoint? Radioactive?

Nope. It had a orange fiber optic (plastic) rod that gathered outside light and glowed orange in the tube (hard to describe).

Early models were sort of 'dildo shaped' 1" tubes with a clear plastic 'ogive' over the 'business end' covering the light gathering rod. Standard adjustment turrets in the middle of the tube.

Later models ommitted the clear plastic 'ogive'.

Since the tube was closed, you used both eyes and parallax imposed an orange dot over the target.

I had one of those battery powered 'crosshair' illuminators (little AAA battery powered light with a fiber optic tube that glows just enough the light up scope crosshairs in low light) taped to mine for night work (it worked).

The Singlepoint itself had no tritium, batteries, etc.

Mine was the 'Son Tay raid' type. Bought at the same place theirs came from. They used 100 MPH tape to fasten theirs to their XM-177E2 carry handles. I had a real mount!

Old 02-13-2004, 14:14   #28
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

For specialized mission I carry the M68, but for just all around general use, I always carry the 4 power ACOG. Not only will it let you reach out there, but you can also use it to check out things, a long way's out.
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 23:49   #29
KevinB
Asset

The reticle burn issue is over rated on the EO 552E's
It is simply the PVS-14's screen gaining memory and can be easily undone by leaving the PVS-14 on for a short period of time while not using the EO.

ITT has a bunch of data.

I have had burn from (off?) the front sight/gasblock - annoying (especiialy while walking headmounted).

The Reflex's time had come and gone when it was adopted.

Rumour has a new Eotech coming down the pipe very shortly...
Old 02-24-2004, 16:01   #30
BadMuther
Guerrilla

I have a Trijicon Reflex and I love it.

To each his own I guess. My next sight purchase will be an eo-tech though.

I like the fact that the reflex is always "on", and never needs batteries.

I have the 6.5 MOA dot model. I zeroed it at 50m instead of 25m and it does great out to 300m.

The thing is fast as hell (and accurate) for CQB, IMHO.

A lot of folks are saying how the trijicon reflex is outdated.....I remember in the early 90's at 2nd Batt we had Armson OEG's and Aimpoints.....now everyone has aimpoints, and I don't see too much difference between the new M68 and the old aimpoints.

Like Reaper said, everyone is different, and some things work for some that don't work for others.

I wish I had the money for a 4x32 Acog....

I really think the EO Tech is the way to go, but I wouldn't knock a Trijicon reflex.......or even an aimpoint.

IMHO, the EO Tech or the reflex is better then iron sights for CQB.

My problem with the aimpoint is that it seems sometimes precious time is wasted trying to "find" the dot in relation to the target.

My 2 pesos.