Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 01-27-2004, 12:12   #1
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Question M4 SOPMOD Reflex Sight

We just love the Reflex Sight. Except, of course, when the sun is in your direction of fire and eliminates the dot. Then, all you have is a clear lens before you. The fix, of course, is just to flip up the rear sight (we have those flip-up types) and engage the target with iron sights.

Well, our 18F had a nice little device that fixed this problem for him. He had himself an EO Tech holographic sight. More than just a dot, his "heads-up-display" had a circle with cross hairs around it and a dot in the center. Even with the strong sunlight, we had little trouble looking through his.

Recently, it seems that some measure of funds have funnelled down to the battalion. However, due to some sort of policy at USASOC level - I'm not very familiar with it - we are not allowed to purchase any other sights (since we have SOPMOD).

What are your experiences with the Reflex Sight and what did you do to fix it? BTW, iron sights don't go away with the sunlight.

PS - Thanks to the "Knuckledragger Forum" I am now able to post pictures (paid endorsement)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sopmodm4.jpg (63.9 KB, 380 views)

Last edited by Basenshukai; 01-27-2004 at 12:17.
Basenshukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:19   #2
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Batteries

I wanted to add that we did change all the batteries to new ones just in case they were weak and we still had the problem.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:32   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

B:

The reflex just flat sucks, IMHO. Consider that you are banging away clearing a building, and you see a guy through a window 200 m. away or so setting up a rocket launcher. Can you effectively engage them quickly and accurately? Spend some time transitioning from outside to inside, lit room to dark room, light targets to dark targets. Can you acquire them under any and all conditions? Murphy is out there. You are in East BF Egypt and your batteries crap out. What do you do?

I have a Comp ML2, a defective TX30, a TA31 and a couple of TA11s I am more than happy to loan you if you want to compare.

They are my personal property though, so I would have to ask you not to shoot, burn, blow up, or keep them.

Just let me know.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 13:51   #4
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
B:

The reflex just flat sucks, IMHO. Consider that you are banging away clearing a building, and you see a guy through a window 200 m. away or so setting up a rocket launcher. Can you effectively engage them quickly and accurately? Spend some time transitioning from outside to inside, lit room to dark room, light targets to dark targets. Can you acquire them under any and all conditions? Murphy is out there. You are in East BF Egypt and your batteries crap out. What do you do?

I have a Comp ML2, a defective TX30, a TA31 and a couple of TA11s I am more than happy to loan you if you want to compare.

They are my personal property though, so I would have to ask you not to shoot, burn, blow up, or keep them.

Just let me know.

TR
The issue regarding reflex sight versatility seems to stem from the "point-of-aim","point-of-impact" problem. When zeroing the sight at 25m, it seems best to set up the sight to punch holes about 3 cm lower than the center mass of the target. This way, a target can be engaged at 100 m with more efficacy. I would imagine that Reflex Sight use will be best applied at close quarters, or anything less than 100 m. But, of course, we can't dictate when and where the target will appear. I'm real close to buying a EO Tech, unless what you got might be more economical. If it is, let's give it a shot (no pun intended).
Old 01-27-2004, 14:44   #5
Guy
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up Always leave the rear sight UP!

If you need to transition from a close shot to a long shot. The rear sight is already up.

Secondly; You are going to laugh at this! Watch how many guys forget to turn those things ON! Much less, turn them OFF!

You have to TRAIN with the optics...TRAIN! I still saw guys who were not familiar with the optics, install them because it looked cool. Close one-eye when engaging targets at close range...WTF?

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 14:50   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The only one LESS expensive than the EO Tech that I would consider is the Aimpoint M2. and the flip up or cut down rear mounted at all times.

If I were going in harm's way with the requirement to engage a number of targets from PBR to 300m., I would get a TA31 and a set of flip up irons, and burn a couple thousand rounds at varying ranges with it. No batteries required, BTW.

You have to decide what your life is worth for yourself, and what works best for you. As with everything else, opinions vary and what works for me may not work for you.

Good luck and be safe.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 01-27-2004, 16:18   #7
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Re: Always leave the rear sight UP!

Quote:
Originally posted by Guy
If you need to transition from a close shot to a long shot. The rear sight is already up.

Secondly; You are going to laugh at this! Watch how many guys forget to turn those things ON! Much less, turn them OFF!

You have to TRAIN with the optics...TRAIN! I still saw guys who were not familiar with the optics, install them because it looked cool. Close one-eye when engaging targets at close range...WTF?
You're exactly right. In our team room, if the 18B catches one of us turning our weapons in with the Reflex Sight "on" ... it's a case of beer.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:57   #8
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Reflex Sight

In my opinion, I would junk the dam thing. Too many other options, and the thing is just too fragile.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 00:20   #9
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

When you say reflex do you mean the Trijicon reflex? Thats just old outdated tech. The aimpoint and the Eotech are much better. I run an Aimpoint on my personal gun and a Eotech AA model on my work gun. With SOPMOD II being held up by leagle senanigans by the sore losers the real losers are the folks that cant get the gear they need.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:51   #10
Guy
Quiet Professional

Post Eotech are pretty durable.

I've seen them in use and people swear by them.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/images/obstruct.gif

Quote:
The Magic of Holography
In holography, all the information required to reconstruct the reticle image is recorded everywhere in the Heads-Up display window. If the window is obstructed by mud, snow, rain, etc., the HWS remains fully operational , with point of aim/impact being maintained. Even in such extreme cases where the laminated window is shattered, the HWS is fully functional! As long as the operator can see through any portion of the window, the entire reticle pattern is visible on target...the operator can still engage with confidence.
Durability:

Quote:
The HWS has been designed and tested to provide consistent, reliable performance even in the most hostile operational environments. It is waterproof, fogproof, shockproof, and temperature proof.
The HWS is designed to withstand Mil-Spec drop tests and still remain fully operational and hold zero. The HWS has been extensively tested in a punishing recoil simulator generating 3,500 G's of acceleration in less than 0.5 milliseconds (the recoil of a .454 Casull revolver) as well as various environmental chambers).

The Heads Up Display is constructed with a 3 layer, shatterproof laminate glass that is 3/16" thick for added durability. Additional protection of the Heads Up Display is provided with a "roll bar" ruggedized hood

http://www.eotech-inc.com/images/durability.gif

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 18:19   #11
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Eotech

The Eotech is not in the SOPMOD and is being held up by whatever. The present reflex is junk and needs to be replaced. My understanding is that it is gong to happen. Who, what, and when I do not know.

I understood the question to be the SOPMOD reflex and answered accordingly.

Rick B.

Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.
Old 01-29-2004, 18:25   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Re: Eotech

Quote:
Originally posted by longrange1947
The Eotech is not in the SOPMOD and is being held up by whatever. The present reflex is junk and needs to be replaced. My understanding is that it is gong to happen. Who, what, and when I do not know.

I understood the question to be the SOPMOD reflex and answered accordingly.
Concur that the Trijicon Reflex (TX-11?) needs to be junked.

There seem to be a lot of needy projects being held up, for some reason.

I have also seen some EO Techs busted, I understand that they are now improved and the military versions are even more ruggedized.

TR

Old 01-29-2004, 19:08   #13
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Spoke to the SFAUCC instructors and they told me that the EO Techs ARE authorized for purchase. However, BN S-4 is telling me that they are not. They say is a policy several levels above. Where the miscommunication is occuring, I don't know. But, SFAUCC did purchase over 12 of them locally. Furthermore, they used the usual and proper channels to aquire them. I'm trying to make this same purchase happen for my guys. If anyone has a better understanding of the system behind this, please PM me. I won't quote you or anything. I'm just trying to get the gear to the guys that feel they need it, thus, I'm trying to better understand how I can make this happen.
Old 01-29-2004, 21:04   #14
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

EOTech

Make sure of the model that you get is the military model. That it has two zero settings, near (25 meters) and far (500 meters). There is a new one in the works that will accept an NVD (14 I think) for limited light use.

Some of the restrictions are self inflicted on the Operators' level. They go out and buy non standard that is not compatable with the team next door. This causes the 5 year contract lapse in which we pay top dollar for 5 year old technology.

Wat is the solution, stop buying the latest doodad that is the flavor of the month and work within compatablilty standards. I love the guys that just have to have the latest, only to find out that it does not do what they thought it would do or does not work under the environment that they must work.

Shutting up now.

Rick B.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.
Old 01-30-2004, 17:34   #15
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Here is the skinny as far as I know it. The Eotech is not part of the Sopmod at present and thus cant be ordered from Crane like the Aimpoint M68, But you should be able to Local Purchase them. IMNSHO you need the Model 552 version A65 This is the version that uses AA batteries, has NVG settings and is the Crosshair and red dot model. Version D1 is just the Red dot.

There have been some reported Reticle Burn problems using the 552 with a PVS 14 mounted behind it on the weapon. If you keep your NVGs head mounted it will not be a problem