Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > Mindset

Old 09-05-2007, 21:16   #1
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Never give up.

Never give up.
If your heart is still beating, you can still win.

This link is to a story about a 69 year old man named Gene Moe.

The story speaks for itself.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/a...117013,00.html
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 21:26   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Helluva story.

You gotta watch those old guys, at the very least, they are survivors.

I wonder if he wishes he had brought a handgun?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:31   #3
Guy
Quiet Professional

Lightbulb The part that caught my attention!

Quote:
Gene offers one more tip to those who hunt in bear country. Something he has noticed many times, but never told anyone until now, is how raven behavior ties in with deer hunting in bear territory. “When a raven flies over and sees you,” Gene says, “he’ll give a squawk or two. If you keep watching him, you’ll probably hear him squawk again and notice that he’s flying over another ravine. I figure if he squawks when he sees me, he’s squawking when he sees something else. When the wind has been in my face, I’ve sneaked over to see what’s there, and sure enough, I’d find a deer in that ravine. But you have to be careful. It could be a bear with a kill or cubs to defend. About half of the time, when I’d start to get close, I’d see a bear coming from the other direction. I don’t know for sure if bears are smart enough to catch on to raven behavior, but I take the possibility seriously. I’ve certainly had enough experience with rifle shots calling bears to dinner.”
Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:47   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Now that is SA!

I would have to cut the flaps off the partner's cap though.

Bad visual image of a Cosmonite in a pile cap with the flaps down for landing.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:15   #5
RTK
Guerrilla

Steve would be pouring concrete at someone else's business after this.
Old 09-08-2007, 20:57   #6
dmgedgoods
Guerrilla

Don't want to sidetrack this amazing story, but something caught my eye in the paper this morning...in a similar vein, minus the killing of a bear with his hands:

Woman, 76, found alive after 2 weeks

Not even a comparison as far as SA goes, but amazing nonetheless. What is it with old people and their ability to adapt and overcome? Both of these stories bring to mind a great book, Deep Survival, by Laurence Gonzales. The "science" of survival is far from making any sense.

McD
Old 11-02-2010, 23:03   #7
R3V3LATIONS
Asset

Amazing story. and to comment on the previous post, one could infer that after spending as many years on this earth as is required to elevate one into the "elderly" class, you pick up on a thing or two that would allow you to survive. The elderly have my deepest respect, as they have alot they can teach if you just listen and dont write them off.

"Truth is a Pathless Land" - Goswami
R3V3LATIONS is offline   Reply With Quote