Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 04-04-2004, 19:08   #1
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Brm

I'm starting a new thread as a take off from the XM-8 discussion.

Remember the old PRI Circle? Do you think it worked?

IIRC in the mid-'60's we spent 3 weeks on the range. Week on the 25M range, 1 week on the KD range and a week on field fire ranges.

BMT
Old 04-04-2004, 19:53   #2
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

It seems they've substantially reduced KD-range time. IIRC, they only do one day on KD in all of OSUT nowadays.

--Dan
Old 04-05-2004, 06:00   #3
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

BRM

I believe the CSA is on the right track,it will just take Benning a little while to reprogram ammo forecast and range schedules.

BMT
Old 04-05-2004, 12:48   #4
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

The more I think about it, the less complicated it sounds. The Army knows how to teach people to shoot. All that's needed is to make sure the instructors are doing their jobs properly (no reason, I can see, to say that they aren't right now), and then give them the resources to do it.

Resources being time, access to ranges, and ammunition. Hell, build more ranges, and (after the soldiers have been trained on the basics) remove some of the stifling safety restrictions... the boys aren't gonna have v-notch stakes and stultifying range commands when they get sent to OIF after OSUT. Instead of doing BRM/ARM with the M16 only, make soldiers learn with, and then qualify with an M16, the M249, the M240, and the M2. Real training... none of this "you'll learn that at your unit" shit.

The best part? All of this is -cheap-. You can do all of this, for entire battalions of trainees, for less than the price of a couple of those Tomahawks we're so fond of blowing up empty tents with. And get a hell of a lot more result, too.

--Dan
Old 04-05-2004, 12:56   #5
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

BRM

I still think before a trainee complete's OSUT they need to see a squad and platoon Mad Minute will full tracer. Maybe even throw in afew mortar rounds. The 29th Inf. could put on this demo.

BMT