Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 04-04-2004, 17:17   #31
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I don't know, its not my program. Probably an A Team less the TL, WO, 1 Medic, 1 Engineer and 1 Commo Puke. No team is ever full for long anyway.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 17:22   #32
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I don't know, its not my program. Probably an A Team less the TL, WO, 1 Medic, 1 Engineer and 1 Commo Puke. No team is ever full for long anyway.
Oh I thought you had some grand skem conjured up in the 2 mins it took you to post the 7 Green Hats answer.

Dan to answer your questions it sounds like infantry OSUT needs an enema
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 17:26   #33
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

Feel minorly guilty for hijacking the XM-8 thread over to an OSUT thread. Maybe we'd do better with an exclusive thread over out Weapons Discussion.

--Dan
Old 04-04-2004, 18:01   #34
brownapple

Quote:
Originally posted by DanUCSB
I'll hold out hope for the XM-8 if we can get a long barrel put on it, and some decent ammo to put through it. I know, I know, why not just fix what we have and save whatever huge amount of money we're spending on XM; I agree. But I have a distinct feeling it's inevitable now; like an earlier poster said, the politicos want to get something out of the whole OICW debacle.

At least the XM-8 is a good start in making new items lighter, rather than heavier (although, it's probably because it's a snubbie).

--Dan
The Ordnance people want to get something out of the OICW debacle. Fortunately, the proponent agency for small arms is the Infantry Board. I doubt the XM-8 is going to make it to widespread adoption.
Old 04-04-2004, 18:05   #35
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Greenhat
I doubt the XM-8 is going to make it to widespread adoption.
Why, GH? Everything I've seen has been positive so far (of course it has, as most sources tend to have a commercial interest). What do you think will shoot it down... just similarity to what we have already that doesn't justify the expense?

--Dan
Old 04-04-2004, 18:07   #36
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Gh,
Do you have any kind of idea what the OICW debacle has cost the US taxpayer? Just curious.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 18:17   #37
brownapple

Quote:
Originally posted by DanUCSB
Why, GH? Everything I've seen has been positive so far (of course it has, as most sources tend to have a commercial interest). What do you think will shoot it down... just similarity to what we have already that doesn't justify the expense?

--Dan
Because the Infantry Board is going to look at issues that Ordnance is currently avoiding...like that barrel length...

And because the Infantry Board only recently (within the last couple of years) approved the widespread issue of M4s and M16A4s to reequip all Infantry units. So they are going to look at the HK and say "what advantage does this weapon provide the Infantryman? Is it worth the cost?"

I think the answer will be no.

NDD, I don't know off hand. I'll see if I can find out. It'll be in the billions, and some of the costs (testing process/procedures) may be hidden.