Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 02-28-2004, 05:51   #1
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Boot Advice

I was wondering if I could get recommendations for a pair of boots to PT in over light woodland terrain?

I've been perusing the Favorite Boots thread, but my feet are rather unusual (read: annoying) in that they are flat and narrow, meaning that even with good ankle support my foot can still roll over, causing all kinds of long-term wear. I use advanced orthotics, but these only work if the boot grips the foot adequately.

If anyone here has the same problem, or generally can recommend boots which will provide support for my foot, I would very much appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 08:38   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Try a set of the Danners.

They tend to be cut narrow, especially at the toes, and are an excellent, high quality field boot.

They are a bit expensive, so be sure that you try them on in person and check them out thoroughly before plunking your cash down.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:05   #3
Guy
Quiet Professional

Question What do you plan on doing in the new boot?

That would help out a bunch.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:55   #4
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

PT over light woodland terrain. I used to do the work in sneakers but my ankles, knees and back are paying a heavy price, despite orthotics. Running and ruck marches.

If that didn't help, I can be more specific. It's really only light labour, which is why I could do it in my sneakers beforehand.

Thanks,

Solid
Old 03-04-2004, 04:13   #5
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

The Danners look great, and several remarks on the website lead me to believe that they will suit my feet perfectly. Would you recommend Acadias, or is there another kind of boot that might suit me better?
Do the Adidas GSG9's or Oakleys support the foot well?

Thanks,

Solid
Old 03-06-2004, 17:55   #6
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

If your traijning for future military service, I would go with something that is issue so they will be what is on the packing list and they willo be broken in.
pbr549xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 18:19   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by pbr549xxx
If your traijning for future military service, I would go with something that is issue so they will be what is on the packing list and they willo be broken in.
Concur.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 19:00   #8
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

I agree, but if I enlist it will be in at least four years. Right now, I am just looking for a boot which will support my feet and prevent further damage to my knees and back from running and rucking. I think of them more as an all-purpose purchase rather than one geared solely to training for SFAS etc.

Top of my list are the Danner's Acadia Desert boot- a good choice?

Thanks for the input, it's invaluable.

Solid
Old 03-06-2004, 22:45   #9
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Solid,

My current boot that I wear on duty is the Acardia. I have had the same boots for over 3 years now, and they are still in great shape. About a year ago I had to replace the soles b/c they were worn out. I use these boots for work, hunting, hiking, whatever from 100 degrees F to about 0 degrees F before I go to a jungle or a cold weather boot. They IMHO are the perfect all round boot, once you get them broken-in, great ankle and arch support.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:58   #10
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Have you had any experience with the new Desert Boot? I'm trying to take into consideration sweat- my feet sweat enough even in well-ventilated sneakers, and this often leads to me having to stop during short runs to treat blisters and rips in the damp skin. The insulation on the standard Acadia's is therefore slightly worrying.
Thanks,

Solid
Old 03-07-2004, 10:10   #11
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

I have not tried the Desert boot.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:49   #12
militarymoron
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Solid
Have you had any experience with the new Desert Boot? I'm trying to take into consideration sweat- my feet sweat enough even in well-ventilated sneakers, and this often leads to me having to stop during short runs to treat blisters and rips in the damp skin. The insulation on the standard Acadia's is therefore slightly worrying.
Thanks,

Solid
the acadias are available in 200 and 400 gram insulation, and uninsulated. i have the uninsulated acadias, and the desert boots, which are also uninsulated. i don't notice any practical difference between the two except that the black acadias has a bit of a squeak in them and the rough-out desert ones don't. the desert ones also have two ventilation holes in the arch and the leather is very slightly softer. i'm a civvie so i don't run in them - i either wear running shoes or lightweight hikers (if working out with a ruck).
i'm wondering - could your blister problem be due to shoe fit and sock selection?
for the excessive sweating, have you used foot powder or a roll-on anti-perspirant like 'dry idea' on your feet before a run?
cheers,
MM
p.s. since you're in the UK, have you had any experience with the altberg peacekeeper boots?

Last edited by militarymoron; 03-07-2004 at 10:54.
militarymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:09   #13
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

MM,
I've tried through a process of elimination to determine exactly what makes my feet blister and gash so easily. I've tried every trick that's been recommended to me, from sock choice to insole choice to vaseline, deoderant, gold bond... I've come to the conclusion that my flat feet force me to place more weight on my insole, which my feet slide againt because my feet are narrow and not properly held by the shoe. The sliding causes chafing and the chafing forms nice, big blisters (and one blood blister!) . Fortunatley, my feet are toughening up very quickly.

The Desert Acadia's seem my best bet. I've never heard of the altberg peacekeepers- something I should look into?

Thanks, all this advice is very helpful,

Solid
Old 03-07-2004, 11:40   #14
militarymoron
Guerrilla

solid,
looks like you've covered all the bases i could think of.
a policeman, who was former regular army and TA, had good things to say about the altberg peacekeepers. he wrote me in a recent email:
"I would like to blow the trumpet of Altberg boots - their Peacekeeper boot is great. They're really light, almost like Magnums, but sturdy like a proper combat boot, and very good value for money. As a temperate weather boot, that offers support and protection (they do ones with steel underfoot plates, and also toe protection, as well as "normal" boots in this style) it's very good indeed. I think they're the only British boot company, and I think their flag's worth flying! A lot of guys really rate their desert boot too - don't forget that us Brits have ALWAYS been issued crap boots, so we're good at looking for the good stuff!"
they're made in north yorkshire.
http://www.altberg.co.uk/
their website is down until tomorrow, it looks like. but they're worth a look since they're in the UK. they're bootmakers so you might even get boots fitted to you.

definitely try the danners on before you buy. as other people have mentioned, danners tend to be a bit narrow.
cheers,
MM
militarymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 12:03   #15
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Thanks for the advice! I'll look at the Altbergs, but I reckon that they'll come up too wide given the almost female width of my feet. Silverman's over here stocks Danners, so I can go and try them on at my own leisure.

Thank you everyone for the help,

Solid