Old 11-25-2010, 15:30   #46
PRB
Quiet Professional

"The survival area"...ours was just a wide open desert area...I was on 595 at the time.
PRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 16:29   #47
Pete
Quiet Professional

The first few survival FTXs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
"The survival area"...ours was just a wide open desert area...I was on 595 at the time.
The first few survival FTXs were near this location. We were doing Company Traning and the B Team is in the background.

Talk about Desert Rats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First Location.jpg (64.1 KB, 170 views)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 16:45   #48
PRB
Quiet Professional

Looks very familiar. The worst survival area we exp was during the Jacobelly Oro Grande trip.
Out in nowhere with nothing, one of my two MRE's for the week was rotten/spoiled..man was I pissed at that...but there was a stock tank.
So we are watching all of these nice fat babies hoofing about, I was the Team Sgt and always had a loaded 45 with (for emergencies of course).
So we ate fresh steak starting the second day out.
When we exfilled to the Bn BBQ I told everyone "Now Goddammit, look hungry"
Old 11-25-2010, 18:45   #49
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
The first few survival FTXs were near this location. We were doing Company Traning and the B Team is in the background.

Talk about Desert Rats.
Nice pictures Pete. I believe I can name four people there. I sure wish I would have taken more. Was out there twice for training and remember that it was nice to get away from the flagpole once in awhile. We brang air rifles with us to keep ourselves amused when we weren't doing communications in the FOB.

Last edited by mojaveman; 11-29-2010 at 14:08.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:42   #50
Enigma0122
Quiet Professional

Glebo, both liked their guns (toys) as most of us did and spent alot of time in the dunes out at Spring Lake back in the day. Ya, Nicewander took Gunplay alittle far and was supposedly involved (accused), in some gunrunning below the border.

You could probably start a thread, just about them two and their escapades.

Gratefully, by that time I was down south with 7th and all but cut ties with both of them.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:59   #51
PRB
Quiet Professional

Didn't know Glebo, never in 7th GP. Knew Nicewander from the 509th in Italy before we were SF qual and then during the initial Desert stuff.
What exactly happened to him, heard rumors but nothing definitive.
Old 11-26-2010, 17:28   #52
Enigma0122
Quiet Professional

PRB. Dave was shot (multible times), to death. Don't remember which state it occured but seem to be out SouthWest i.e. New Mexico, Arizona. Rumor had it was a hit, dealing with his rumored activities. Maybe someone knows more than I.

My stint with Dave N was approximately 3 yrs initially in Tng Grp followed up with 5th Grp. We didn;t serve in the same Co or team but continued to hang out with him and Frank Stonko simply as likeness of weapons and shooting them.

After going to 7th down south, did not maintain comms with them. But did start hearing some rumors as to what DN was involved in. Then of course, his murder and possible connection to the above aforementioned.

Don't believe they ever solved the murder.

Last edited by Enigma0122; 11-26-2010 at 17:48.
Enigma0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 17:37   #53
Enigma0122
Quiet Professional

Hey Pete, in the picture with you next to DN. Is that Fred Ross from 572 at one time? Recognize alot of the faces, as years go by the names seem to fade.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:45   #54
glebo
Quiet Professional

Damn Pete, that brought back some memories. I remember that "survival" exercise......that wasn't the same trip we did to prep for Bright Star, was it??

I remember going to "Orafice" Grande several times, I guess they all blend together now..

That may have been the trip that me, Joe Garcia and John(?) (the guy who got busted stealing the Chaplains cigs in Bright Star) got pretty hammered on Mescal and rolled down elephant mtn........what a hoot

We almost blew ourselves up trying to swap out one of those gaz stoves, we got hungry and were gonna make some ramen. Cpt Davis caught us, cussed us out, (Joe had a lit cig) and the gas bottle had a leak and was venting out.....

Yeah, the dumb 'ol days for sure

Last edited by glebo; 11-27-2010 at 05:46. Reason: duh, can't spell, to early
glebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:49   #55
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Talk about Desert Rats.
I'm laughing about that picture. Reminded me of when we were at Bliss and RON-ing on the ranges (with snow in the forcast). We were all standing around with bungie cords in our hands wondering what the heck we were going to hook them on to raise our poncho hooches. Nice big stick you'all brunged.

Last edited by Dozer523; 11-27-2010 at 07:51.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:31   #56
Pete
Quiet Professional

1" PVC pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
I'm laughing about that picture. Reminded me of when we were at Bliss and RON-ing on the ranges (with snow in the forcast). We were all standing around with bungie cords in our hands wondering what the heck we were going to hook them on to raise our poncho hooches. Nice big stick you'all brunged.
True be told after the first trip there - and getting rained on between being burnt to a crisp - a lot of us went down to the hardware store and got some 1" or so PVC pipe with joints. Made six poles per set about - two bottoms with end caps, two middle pieces and two top pieces "Had holes at one end for a small rope loop). You could use all three to make a tall hooch - very unsteady - or two per end and the extra two pieces to raise up a side.

Very light and could be tied on a ruck just about anywhere.

And enigma1022 I'm second from the left, the guy third from the left was the support guy. I don't remember what his MOS was - the battalion figured some of them could use a little field time. Of course DN is in the Tigers.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:26   #57
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
Didn't know Glebo, never in 7th GP. Knew Nicewander from the 509th in Italy before we were SF qual and then during the initial Desert stuff.
What exactly happened to him, heard rumors but nothing definitive.
PRB, when were ya in the 509th?? I was there from 78-80 before I went through the Q course.

Pete, The guy sitting looking like he's biting/eating DN's hand looks like Jake Martin, and the shorter guy on the far right, with what looks like a stogie sort of resembles Ernie Gizoni, pictures a little fuzzy though....or could be my eyes....LOL
Old 11-29-2010, 13:14   #58
PRB
Quiet Professional

Glebo,
From 76-79 in the Nickle O Nasty...one of the best times I ever had. Initially in 3rd Plt C Co (SFC Cruz then Mad Mitch)..then talked the Bn Cmdr (Murphy) into creating a LRRP team assigned to the Recon Plt in CSC. Was the LRRP team daddy from 78-79. Had a ball...ah single E5 off post quarters with a silver 1962 Maserati....if I could only go back in time.
Old 11-29-2010, 16:17   #59
glebo
Quiet Professional

Saaaweeet PRB, I then was a wrench in the motor hole in HHC....
then a slick sleeve up to SP4 when I left...
It was a great time, and trips to some great places.

Jeselo in the summer....and Asiago and elswhere in the winter....couldn't beat it with a stick....maybe some sambuca... and warm Hienies on the beach.

I remember the trips to Graff, Hoenfelds, and places inbetween that we got kicked out of many an NCO club....with the BC present most of the time. Do you, or did you "participate" in the flaming asshole competition we had....I think it was Hoenfelds????

I think I went to Belgium in the summer of '80 with Co C, or Co A to get Belgium wings....another event to remember.

Great times
Old 11-29-2010, 17:05   #60
PRB
Quiet Professional

That was a ball!
I had a break in service from RVN..was an 11B and came back on active duty as an E5. Asked the recruiter where all the 11B P's could reenlist for and when he said 'Italy" I was all over it.
Back when you played hard and partied hard and it was all good. It was the NCO club at Wildflicken we were barred form because our Bn CSM (Spike) punched out another Bn CSM (Leg) and we all went at it like an old style Western! Throwin chairs doin the back to back punch everybody, what a hoot.
I had to take one of my guys to see the Bn Cmdr about weekly, Frank Kelley, then a SP4...He later went to 5th Gp as I did.
Man, that was a great assignment.