Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 03-31-2014, 18:10   #16
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
...this is all good democracy talk, but at the core, I just want to know why my unemployment check is late again.
lol En punto, Bro.
Old 03-31-2014, 18:29   #17
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Actually I found the article to be rather sophomoric. I tend to read quickly through most stuff to see if there is anything worth studying a little deeper. This piece struck me as a waste of time. In the first place, most of our Founders feared democracy as akin to mob rule. They were precisely correct in that assessment and the recent examples of attempted and fledgling democracies is testament.

The uniqueness of the US is that it is a democratically elected constitutional republic - not a democracy. I used to view the Economist as a rather scholarly and thoughtful publication. Well, not any more. Now I am suspicious that it too has become just another pseudo-intellectual rag that is a messenger of misinformation to promote a progressive agenda. The ideological undercurrents are obvious. And the sad thing is that this opinion piece will reinforce the meme among the unthinking sheeple.

Shit- I am going to devolve into a rant!

Trapper John <out>

PS: Richard - great post! I do love a good piece of HUMINT and this piece tells me a lot about the state of thought (pseudo-intellectual), messaging style, and tactics we are up against.
Damn - the world as we know must be coming to an end! I agree with Trapper John. With points to Craigepo for a quality addendum. Finally got it to open on my computer. MOO - The American experiment is in serious trouble. Too many takers, not enough makers.

Quote:
Robert A. Heinlein > Quotes > Quotable Quote

“The America of my time line is a laboratory example of what can happen to democracies, what has eventually happened to all perfect democracies throughout all histories. A perfect democracy, a ‘warm body’ democracy in which every adult may vote and all votes count equally, has no internal feedback for self-correction. It depends solely on the wisdom and self-restraint of citizens… which is opposed by the folly and lack of self-restraint of other citizens. What is supposed to happen in a democracy is that each sovereign citizen will always vote in the public interest for the safety and welfare of all. But what does happen is that he votes his own self-interest as he sees it… which for the majority translates as ‘Bread and Circuses.’

‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. Democracy often works beautifully at first. But once a state extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or parasite, that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or in its weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader—the barbarians enter Rome.”

― Robert A. Heinlein
I believe the last election cycle conclusively demonstrated that we've passed the tipping point. What we're experiencing now is the gradual acceleration as we slide down the slippery slope.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 19:40   #18
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Peregrino-
Quote:
Damn - the world as we know must be coming to an end! I agree with Trapper John.
Don't worry, two concentric circles will always coincide twice, Bro. And the world will still revolve on its axis. Looking forward to the next time.

Thanks Richard, and as usual, I stand corrected. Once a teacher, always a teacher Huh?
Old 03-31-2014, 21:06   #19
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
I believe the last election cycle conclusively demonstrated that we've passed the tipping point. What we're experiencing now is the gradual acceleration as we slide down the slippery slope.
Come on Peregrino there are no cooking of books going now.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 21:43   #20
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post
We need to also fix the economy so that more people are working and less on the dole.
I don't think the economy is the largest problem with people not working.

Some, maybe, but not those for whom taking is a multigenerational way of life with a built-in excuse.

And the lib solutions, Obamacare, increasing the minimum wage, environmental Nazis, anti-business regulations, excessive taxation, more government benefits, etc., are going to make the problem worse, not better.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 21:43   #21
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Peregrino-

Don't worry, two concentric circles will always coincide twice, Bro. And the world will still revolve on its axis. Looking forward to the next time.
Concentric circles do not coincide twice.
Two intersecting circles coincide twice (unless it's a tangential intersection, then they only intersect once).

Technically, there can be intersecting concentric circles, but they would be identical circles superimposed and would coincide everywhere.
This all assumes coplanar circles.

In the case of non-coplanar circles, two circles of the same radius with a common center would coincide twice.
Not sure that non-coplanar circles would be considered "concentric" as this normally implies "coaxial" as well (non-coplanar circles cannot be coaxial).

(Oh, BTW, the world's axis precesses, so it's not quite revolving on its axis.)
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)

Last edited by GratefulCitizen; 03-31-2014 at 22:12.
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:31   #22
ddoering
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Remember, Romney did well in the polls after that first debate. So I think conservatism is still very viable. The problems are that the safety net was not designed in a sustainable fashion, and the government also robbed the Social Security fund. We need to also fix the economy so that more people are working and less on the dole.
If someone had focused on job creation we would have more makers and less takers. I guess that would have eaten into his base......
ddoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:24   #23
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulCitizen View Post
Concentric circles do not coincide twice.
Two intersecting circles coincide twice (unless it's a tangential intersection, then they only intersect once).

Technically, there can be intersecting concentric circles, but they would be identical circles superimposed and would coincide everywhere.
This all assumes coplanar circles.

In the case of non-coplanar circles, two circles of the same radius with a common center would coincide twice.
Not sure that non-coplanar circles would be considered "concentric" as this normally implies "coaxial" as well (non-coplanar circles cannot be coaxial).

(Oh, BTW, the world's axis precesses, so it's not quite revolving on its axis.)
You are correct and I stand corrected..... again.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:21   #24
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

In my opinion, two amendments to the Constitution enabled this; the 14th and 17th.

The 14th was passed during the reconstruction and completed what started with the Civil War, the usurpation of state power by the federal government. Now the federal government is able to dictate authority to the states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14th Am, Section 1
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14th Am. Section 5
The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

The 17th Am. completely removed the voice of the state governments at the federal level and completely destroyed a key element of protection. This brought us closer to a democracy than a republic. Now a simple majority of people had far more influence over federal power. The states could no longer protect themselves legislatively from a federal government that was rapidly expanding powers and catered to those that could keep them in power, the people. The states lose and , ultimately, the people lose...

These are the mechanisms that have enabled the erosion our system of government. Simply, we got too much democracy in our republic.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 04-01-2014 at 07:45.
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:47   #25
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Streck-Fu -

Not so sure I would agree with you on the 14th. IMO, no state should be able to abridge the liberties and protections afforded by the Constitution. In its absence there is entirely too much lee-way for State abuse of those rights as we have seen from history.

However, as to 17th - absolutely agree.

You are correct, IMO, the combination of the two effectively denudes State's of many of the rights "reserved for the States" and pushes us into a democracy as opposed to a republic.

Probably the single most important act necessary to correct our course would be repeal of the 17th A. That should be followed by repeal of the 16th A IMO.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:22   #26
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Streck-Fu -

Not so sure I would agree with you on the 14th. IMO, no state should be able to abridge the liberties and protections afforded by the Constitution. In its absence there is entirely too much lee-way for State abuse of those rights as we have seen from history.
I agree with your sentiment but the 14th removes the individual state governments from the position prominence in managing the affairs of the citizens in the state. The federal government now dictates to the states.

Do not forget that the Bill of Rights only exist to appease the Anti-Federalist that feared a strong central government. The Federalists tried to make the case that the federal government could not exercise powers not defined to it in the Constitution. The Ant-Federalists (correctly) feared that the new government could easily expand powers and turn into a tyranny. They wanted to define the most important liberties that the government must not be permitted to violate.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 15:31   #27
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
The 14th was passed during the reconstruction and completed what started with the Civil War, the usurpation of state power by the federal government.
Wasn't that issue "started" with the failure of the Articles of Confederation and the ratification of the US Constitution (by the states themselves) which granted much broader powers to the federal government over the states than the AofC had done?

And what of the 1819 McCulloch vs Maryland decision based upon Art 1 Sec 8 Clause 18 (the "necessary and proper" clause) of the Constitution?

And as far as the 14th Amendment goes:

Section 1: All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Clause 1 Sec 1 declared that blacks were citizens and created national citizenship independent of state citizenship, a firm renunciation of the infamous 1857 Dred Scott decision.

Clause 2 Sec 1 means that rights which come with US citizenship may not be abridged by the states.

Clause 3 Sec 1 means that the law must not be arbitrary and must be conducted with fairness, and has brought more SCOTUS cases than any other.

Clause 4 Sec 1 is mostly concerned with discriminatory laws of a state against any group and was originally designed to eliminate discrimination because of race or color. This clause was the basis for most of the 1954 Brown v Board of Ed decision which ruled that segregation deprives citizens of equal opportunities.

Section 5: The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Section 5 provided the constitutional authority under which the Civil Rights Acts of the 1960's were passed to outlaw continuing racial discrimination of US citizens under the banner of states' rights by a number of states in areas such as employment, schooling, access to public facilities, housing, etc.

So, I'm curious, what would you - with the perceived benefit of hindsight - have done differently, if anything, and why or why not?

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 19:28   #28
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Actually I found the article to be rather sophomoric.
TJ - after a third reading of the essay, I disagree - and await a response to this essay from Professor Fukuyama.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:17   #29
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
TJ - after a third reading of the essay, I disagree - and await a response to this essay from Professor Fukuyama.

Richard
At your suggestion, I read Fukuyama's essay (attached). Very thoughtful and insightful, IMO. However, upon rereading "What's Wrong with Democracy", my initial impression did not change much. Perhaps a little harsh in saying it was sophomoric, but pretty much stating the obvious, IMO, concluding with:

Quote:
But if democracy is to remain as successful in the 21st century as it was in the 20th, it must be both assiduously nurtured when it is young—and carefully maintained when it is mature.
Well, Duh

Borrowing from Fukuyama, I think the dynamic between materialistic determinism and ideology are the major drivers of geopolitics today. It would appear that the three major conflicts are and will continue to be arising from (i) theocracy (Islam), (ii) statism/neofascism (Putin's Russia), and (iii) autocracy (China).

IMO the US, under progressive liberalism, is moving towards autocracy i.e. centralized government planning with a privileged political elite ruling class similar to China and the necessary suppression of personal liberties. I would even predict a China/US/EU alliance if things continue on their present course, the ultimate conflict will arise with the Russia/Iran alliance.

It is interesting and note worthy that successful advancement of democratic institutions seemed to be preceded by catastrophic failures - fascism in Japan/Germany as a result of WWII, economic driven collapse of Maoism in China, social collapse of apartheid in South Africa to name a few.

If the US is to go down the autocratic path as it appears to be, can we conclude that it will take a catastrophic event to enable us to reverse course? IMO, that answer is yes. I question whether this course is even reversible in the first place.

I would like to read Fukuyama's response too!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fukuyama-End-of-history-article.pdf (148.8 KB, 3 views)