Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Arena

Old 04-20-2015, 16:56   #31
the squid
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Nothing about the rude C List customers hanging out there?

TR
If that wasn't rhetorical, I think most of these reviews predate the incident.

Either way, she said some crappy things. I don't think her station in life gives her cause to shit on people like that, provoked or otherwise. Part of what should have came with her education should have been an appreciation for her good fortune and restraint.

I think her punishment was appropriate considering the reputation of her company, maybe longer though. Don't agree with canning her.
the squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 17:44   #32
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by the squid View Post
Don't agree with canning her.
They canned Limbaugh for offering an opinion, which he was asked to give.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 19:06   #33
the squid
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
They canned Limbaugh for offering an opinion, which he was asked to give.

Pat
Not familiar with that.

Regardless, I don't care for our newfound ability as a country to ruin people's livelihoods as a result of manufactured outrage on social media. See 1SG Moerk, that stupid lady who flipped off the tomb of the unknown soldier sign, etc . . .

I think we should all go about our business, try to be the nest we can and impart those values on our friends and family. My life is no better or worse because some crass woman who flipped off a sign at Arlington now has a hard time finding work.

I understand I'm not a peer here, so I say these things with respect to those who may view things differently.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:47   #34
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
This story briefs well for the media, IE: "Pretty blonde sports reporter mean to working class towing clerk."

I imagine the reality is a bit more complicated, although certainly not to such an extent as to completely justify her crass behavior.

Yelp reviews label the company in question with a tad over 1 out of 5 stars. Reports of predatory practices, rude employees, etc . . . .

http://www.yelp.com/biz/advanced-towing-arlington

https://www.google.com/search?sclien...3dec577656be,1
Yelp is about as trustworthy as the National Inquirer. Do yourself a favor and drop Yelp as a source for anything.
Old 04-21-2015, 14:28   #35
the squid
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Yelp is about as trustworthy as the National Inquirer. Do yourself a favor and drop Yelp as a source for anything.
They're user reviews.

I did not post it to suggest that it was the end all be all of this discussion, but merely to highlight potential abuses from the company in question. Most of you have a decade or more on me, and I'm well aware of everyone's ability here to draw their own conclusions.

As with most things, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Just my personal world view.

Bottom line, I think she was out of line, but likely provoked.
Old 04-22-2015, 14:31   #36
Hand
Guerrilla Chief

Yelp is not impervious to manipulation.

Quote:
First, roughly 16% of restaurant reviews on Yelp are identified as fraudulent, and tend to
be more extreme (favorable or unfavorable) than other reviews. Second, a restaurant is more
likely to commit review fraud when its reputation is weak, i.e., when it has few reviews, or it has
recently received bad reviews. Third, chain restaurants – which benefit less from Yelp – are also
less likely to commit review fraud. Fourth, when restaurants face increased competition, they
become more likely to receive unfavorable fake reviews. To reinforce our interpretation that fake
reviews are driven by economic incentives, we then collect a second data set of businesses that
were caught soliciting fake reviews through a sting conducted by Yelp. Results from these data
are consistent with our main results, further identifying economic incentives behind a business’s
decision to leave fake reviews. Taken in aggregate, these findings highlight the extent of review
fraud and suggest that a business’s decision to commit review fraud responds to competition
and reputation incentives.
Source
Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:01   #37
mark46th
Quiet Professional

"Yelp is about as trustworthy as the National Inquirer." TS

According to Agent K, the National Enquirer and other rags provide the finest investigative journalism on the planet.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:05   #38
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
They're user reviews.

Yeah, they're user reviews that Yelp manipulates/deletes/edits on an hourly basis.

As a source of information Yelp would be rated as an F1.