WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 18:44   #77
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
Wind in Wyoming? Who'd of guessed...
Not my son. To be fair, he was trying to learn to light a fire in wind and rain. We didn't get much rain, though.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 08-13-2013 at 18:46.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 19:07   #78
Requiem
Guerrilla Chief

When everything is wet...

We just returned from a month of camping on the beach on Kodiak Island. It rained the first week and everything was wet. We kept some wood under a tarp, along with kindling and tinder (dried beach grass). But it was damp, too. Normal methods for fire-starting in the wind and rain resulted in cold hands and no fire.

That's when we would use a small amount of gasoline from the boat's supply. Feels like cheating. But the object was to have a fire. (Use of gas was carefully done. My husband once worked in a burn unit. He's seen first-hand what gasoline and fires can do.)

On good days, a little beach grass, driftwood and a Bic did the trick. Used the teepee method for building it. Both boys practiced their fire-building skills. One thing they discovered is that nylon/polyester rope burns long and slow. It could be used in a pinch to start a fire.

Does anyone have suggestions for building fires in wet/windy conditions?

Thanks,
Susan
Old 08-13-2013, 19:56   #79
Requiem
Guerrilla Chief

Brush Okie,

Those were excellent. Thank you. The rubber inner-tube must burn much like the synthetic rope. I also liked his idea of building a platform for the kindling, though air-flow is not a problem on the beach. Whittling down to the dry wood is also a good idea (and sort of a "duh" moment for me).

Susan
Old 08-13-2013, 21:29   #80
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

During a week of rain in the SFQC, and after many conventional firestarting failures, I actually tried to start a fire with a magnesium trip flare and the tinder (including lighter knot) would not stay lit.

Now THAT is wet!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:40   #81
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
...That's when we would use a small amount of gasoline from the boat's supply. Feels like cheating. But the object was to have a fire. (Use of gas was carefully done. My husband once worked in a burn unit. (He's seen first-hand what gasoline and fires can do.)
Good point. I will add this video of why NOT to use gas in large quantities to start a fire

How NOT to start a fire (Short YouTube video)

You can't fix stupid.

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:07   #82
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Ambush Master can probably relate to this story.
We moved from Ban Me Thout to Duc Co to set up a Launch Site.
Shit burning roster was posted.
The night before it was our chase medic's turn.
He ask me how much Diesel and JP-4 to mix to get a hot fire.
I always used 5 gals of diesel and maybe a 1/2 gal of JP-4.

Bac Si decdied he could get a better fire with 3 gallons of diesel and 2 gallons JP-4.
He should of hollowed "FIRE IN THE Hole" before torching that MF'er off.
Needless to say Bac Si didn't have any hair on his arms.

BMT
Old 09-30-2013, 21:36   #83
PSM
Area Commander

Catching up on Les Stroud's Suvivorman: 10 Days episodes, I saw a fire carrying method that is pretty clever and may not need a lot of forethought: Cigars. You will probably be forced into buying and transporting some Churchills, or larger, but they do serve more than one purpose which fits pleasantly into the weight/cube equation.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 10-01-2013, 06:34   #84
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

If I remember correctly, it still went out on him...It still needs to be watched.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:32   #85
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
If I remember correctly, it still went out on him...It still needs to be watched.
It did. Cody Lundin once said about starting a fire: "It's like a baby, if you turn away for a second the baby drinks the Drano."

Pat

Old 10-01-2013, 10:40   #86
TacOfficer
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
Good point. I will add this video of why NOT to use gas in large quantities to start a fire

How NOT to start a fire (Short YouTube video)

You can't fix stupid.
ROFL
Thank you for that video
Old 07-20-2015, 22:57   #87
PSM
Area Commander

Just got back from the winds (sic) of WY again and had all of the success of post #75 above. My son's ferro rod has pretty much been whittled away with very little success. The magnesium shavings blow away easily in the wind. We had 15 to 20 mph most of the stay there.

I wanted to make a Swedish Candle (AKA Swedish Torch, Swedish Log Candle, NTM it's named for every other Scandinavian country and Canada). We set out to use only scrounged material except for what we normally carried (not including Bic lighters).

I found two saw cut pine logs and some wire. I spit the logs partially and wrapped the wire around them. My son wanted to start the tinder/kindling on top with his mag/farro bolck, but was unsuccessful. In my scrounging I just happened to find a Kingsford Match Light® briquette and a match in my backpack. OK, maybe they were in the trailer and the match blew out and I used my Bic. Ya use what ya got!

Turns out the SC burns too quickly in windy conditions. I brought the 2nd SC home and will try to get a more favorable result here without the freaking wind.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0714151632.jpg (84.1 KB, 59 views)

Old 12-30-2016, 15:22   #88
MAB32

Here is another way to start a fire in the wet and windy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWVTO0OFwEo&t=1s

I wonder if "Rawhide" has a good "survival" school?
Old 12-30-2016, 21:02   #89
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32 View Post
Here is another way to start a fire in the wet and windy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWVTO0OFwEo&t=1s

I wonder if "Rawhide" has a good "survival" school?
He's the real deal. I worked with him at SWCS just before I retired. He's on my "short list". Unfortunately, I lost track of him shortly after he returned to 5th SFG(A). I'm glad you stumbled across this video and will be using the info to reach out and re-establish contact.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote