Old 05-20-2014, 12:20   #1
Broken Ruck
Asset

SUT Ruck

I did a search and was unable to find an answer to my question. If I missed it I apologize. I recently got selected (08-14) and had an opportunity to talk to the 18E course NCOIC. He told use to be ready to hump load exceeding 135 lbs. I asked him what types of rucks we can use, and he told me anything tactical (I would like to use a Kifaru)

I'd like to train now, with what I'll use in SUT and that would ideally be a Kifaru ruck. I was wondering if anyone might have some guidance as to what is currently allowed there. I saw SUT students with ALICE and MOLLE type rucks so I suppose either is acceptable.

All of my rucking has been done with a MOLLE, but I've had a few bad experiences with heavy loads and broken frames.

Thanks in advance for your help

Broken Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:52   #2
boogie
Asset

When I went through SUT (summer of 2013) they allowed Molle, Alice, and TacTailor Malice or of some equivalence (Blackhawk SOF, TAG Etc...) as long as you brought a Molle (in case your primary takes a dump on you) However, talking to the guys getting ready to leave this week, They're saying Molle rucks are recommended (CIF purposes). So I'm guessing both are fine, but I would still bring both.

And who knows, by the time you get here..it may change again.

And yes it is true, My ruck during both the Echo phase and Sage weighed in at 130 lbs. I rucked a TT version 2 (ended up getting a sleeping bag attachment sewn here at bragg) But others on my team both for Max Gain and Sage had Molle rucks and did just fine.

Last edited by boogie; 05-20-2014 at 13:31. Reason: Updated Packing requirement
boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 15:20   #3
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Well damn...all I had when I went through back in the 80's was a standard issue ALICE pack, green, large, 1 each...guess I must have gone to an "easy class"...

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 16:35   #4
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
Well damn...all I had when I went through back in the 80's was a standard issue ALICE pack, green, large, 1 each...guess I must have gone to an "easy class"...
Yes that was back when all you had to do is show up and they gave you a flash..

Lets see what I had to do to get ready for the Q.

1. Do PT in my off hours.
2. Do PT in my Off Hours.
3. Show up and get issued CIF gear and train.
4. Survive with our getting hurt.
5. Get smoked and love it.
6. Land NAV my ass off and keep from having some idiot run up and ask for help and have a TAC catch you.
7. Pass all the test.
8. Survive Phase III
9. Graduate and get on a Team and really start my training.

No where did we have Mentors, Internet Intel, Special equipment, Prep Books or slack.

Good Luck guess we were in the last hard classes....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 16:49   #5
Joker
Quiet Professional

Yep, I was in the "1st" easy class. Some guy by the name of Bob Howard showed up time to time to ensure it.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 17:18   #6
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Yep, I was in the "1st" easy class. Some guy by the name of Bob Howard showed up time to time to ensure it.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 18:48   #7
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

SUT Cadre advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMO47 View Post
I did a search and was unable to find an answer to my question. If I missed it I apologize. I recently got selected (08-14) and had an opportunity to talk to the 18E course NCOIC. He told use to be ready to hump load exceeding 135 lbs. I asked him what types of rucks we can use, and he told me anything tactical (I would like to use a Kifaru)

I'd like to train now, with what I'll use in SUT and that would ideally be a Kifaru ruck. I was wondering if anyone might have some guidance as to what is currently allowed there. I saw SUT students with ALICE and MOLLE type rucks so I suppose either is acceptable.

All of my rucking has been done with a MOLLE, but I've had a few bad experiences with heavy loads and broken frames.

Thanks in advance for your help

You're in luck since I am a current a Cadre at SUT. As someone stated we allow tactical rucks other than the issued ruck but.....you must bring the issued for the layout.

You will be carrying 100+lbs in SUT but trust me that if you are training with more than 50-60LB ruck you are doing unneeded damage to your body.

Patrolling is not a ruck march it is much slower and deliberate so rucking for fitness should not be confused with a patrol. Good Luck

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 05-25-2014 at 17:07.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:07   #8
spottedmedic111
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
You're in luck since I am a current a Cadre at SUT. As someone stated we allow tactical rucks other than the issued ruck but.....you must bring the issued for the layout.

You will be carrying 100+lbs in SUT but trust me that if you are training with more than 50-60LB ruck you are doing unneeded damage to your body.

Patrolling is not a ruck march it is much slower and deliberate so rucking for fitness should not be confused with a patrol. Good Luck
WD, I was a medic for a long time and I wish everyone shared your insight on this. Can't tell you how many folks have pointlessly damaged themselves for little gain. Great advice!!
spottedmedic111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 19:02   #9
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedmedic111 View Post
WD, I was a medic for a long time and I wish everyone shared your insight on this. Can't tell you how many folks have pointlessly damaged themselves for little gain. Great advice!!
spottedmedic111

Like everyone else in our unit I learned it the hard way.

Patrol pace is roughly 1 km per hour of patrolling this includes short halts, Long Halts, LDA's, Map checks and so forth it should take 4 hrs to move 4 -5 Km. The point is avoiding detection since the key task is to infil undetected and that means slow deliberate thought out movement. Time under load is patrolling not distance.

If I knew then what I know now this is what I would have done.

Whether you carry 50 or 100 your feet get equally conditioned a 5 miler a few times a week to keep your feet hard is good enough.

You are better doing lots of rucksquats and lunges to strengthen your legs for the terrain.

Get a really good set of boot inserts that support my feet the right way and going cheap is the wrong answer, today you can get a great set of good stiff foot supporting boot inserts for $25.

No runs longer than 5 miles.

Lots of stretching and meditation typing breathing excercises.

core strength training.

Like everyone else am feeling the sins of my youth, we need to educate the next generation so we don't have another generation of half crippled warriors abusing pain killers to do their jobs.

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 06-05-2014 at 05:24.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 18:23   #10
k-rub
Quiet Professional

Great advice.

I love it when I see dudes training with a ton of weight. I saw I guy training with a ruck not too long ago and he claimed it was over a hundred... Must have been training for BUDS
k-rub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 00:16   #11
greyshade
Quiet Professional

That is some good advice.

I would not bring a nice ruck out there. By the time you finish a lot of your gear will be stained, torn, and in other ways damage. Plus you might do airborne operations so it's easier to rig an issue ruck. I don't remember having 135 on my back there. Now, Robin Sage the ruck was heavier. You're not there yet so I wouldn't start planning for that phase.

Just my 2c
Old 06-09-2014, 13:57   #12
RockSolid
SF Candidate

Echoing some of the previous sentiments:

As a recent grad (Class 282) , Ill give you my .02c.

Just bring your molle. Break what they issue you. Don't break your Gucci.

Get sustainment pouches to carry additional gear.

If you want to buy something, help your team out bring equipment for the 240/249. I.E. Nutsacks and buttpacks.

Sage is a different monster all together (As the weights are Heavy) again you may have jumps and rigging to worry about. My suggestion is bring your issue Ruck with Pouches galore on it...and a assault pack to rig to the top for comms on the move.

If and when you get to group you get all the cool issue you could want.

Have Fun and stay hydrated,

-RS
Old 06-10-2014, 15:07   #13
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSolid View Post
Echoing some of the previous sentiments:

As a recent grad (Class 282) , Ill give you my .02c.

Just bring your molle. Break what they issue you. Don't break your Gucci.

Get sustainment pouches to carry additional gear.

If you want to buy something, help your team out bring equipment for the 240/249. I.E. Nutsacks and buttpacks.

Sage is a different monster all together (As the weights are Heavy) again you may have jumps and rigging to worry about. My suggestion is bring your issue Ruck with Pouches galore on it...and a assault pack to rig to the top for comms on the move.

If and when you get to group you get all the cool issue you could want.

Have Fun and stay hydrated,

-RS
Good advice. It will not be the sexy gear that will get you through.
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:34   #14
Retread
Asset

Just finished SFOC, heading into SUT now. I'll update this with the most recent guidance: Ruck must be MOLLE or ALICE style: No Mystery Ranch. As stated above, issue ruck must go with you either way. It's a DX issue in case something breaks out there.

That said, having a ruck that's properly setup is more important than something fancy you haven't adjusted properly. Everything else is physics, and no amount of cool gear is going to change that. Good luck, and drink water.
Old 04-15-2016, 18:37   #15
ross123
Quiet Professional

as a former SUT cadre. every squad and platoon is different. I let my squad use whatever they wanted. so bring your issued ruck, and your own ruck and let your cadre decide.
ross123 is offline   Reply With Quote