Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2013, 08:05   #3
FoxTrooth
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreyna View Post
I am prior service Marine that conducted two deployments to Iraq. I have been off active duty for 3 1/2 years. Still have 6 month in the IRR. My recruiters are telling me that 18x is the only option for PS. Which is fine, because that is what I want.

I do however have a question, I am being told that I will have to complete all of OSUT. Seems like a waste of time and energy to train me in an MOS I already went to war in twice. I will do it with a smile on my face, but I was just wondering if any PS marine infantry have had to do this and what to expect
If you were infantry you should go straight to Airborne after processing through 30th AG. Upon graduating Airborne school you will move over to SFPC Hold. A prior service Marine infantry processed in when I came through with the same story and that's what happened to him.
I was an Airborne qualified infantryman upon my reenlistment still on IRR time and after processing through 30th AG I went straight to SFPC hold.

On another note for prior service infantry:
If you fail to have a 240 PT score prior to shipping they will make you go through OSUT as well to give you time to train and physically develop yourself. A few guys shammed on the PT test with the recruiter before they left and instead of skipping OSUT they were told they could go needs of the Army or do OSUT from day one. ALWAYS max your PT test.

Also if you still have IRR time from your original contract you do not have a break in service. Break in service starts the day an individual no longer holds a contract with the Army. Three years break in service merits completion of basic again.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by FoxTrooth; 08-26-2013 at 05:55.
FoxTrooth is offline   Reply With Quote