Administrators

Special Forces Soldier awarded the Silver Star

RELEASE NUMBER: 050714-02
DATE POSTED: July 14, 2005

Quote:
Special Forces Soldier awarded the Silver Star
Sgt. Joe Healy
U.S Army Special Operations Command

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, July 14, 2005) — A Special Forces Soldier was awarded the Silver Star in a ceremony at the U.S. Army Special Operations Command here July 14.

With his wife and children watching nearby, Sgt. Maj. Roderick C. Anderson, a command sergeant major assigned to 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), was received the Silver Star from Brig. Gen. (P) Gary M. Jones, commanding general, U.S. Army Special Forces Command.

Anderson received the award for exceptionally valorous achievement July 3, 2004, while serving in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan’s Kunar province.

During his remarks, Jones said he remembered Anderson as “a young sergeant” when Jones commanded the 2nd Battalion, 3rd SFG in the early 1990s.

“Anderson was communications sergeant at the time,” said Jones. “But I knew from day one that this guy was the metal that we wanted for Special Forces.”

While deployed, Anderson directed a daring combat mission in treacherous mountain conditions against anti-coalition militia, resulting in the capture of nine high-value targets.

Leading a 25-vehicle convoy, which included Special Operations assets, Afghan Security Forces and Marines, Anderson’s unit was attacked by anti-coalition forces. He immediately provided command and control for the convoy, and called in close air support. Anderson exposed himself to the enemy while firing a light anti-tank weapon, which greatly suppressed enemy fire.

Moments later, the vehicle directly behind Anderson’s was disabled. Anderson immediately stopped his vehicle and engaged the enemy, while dispatching four Soldiers to recover the downed vehicle’s sensitive signal equipment. All the signal equipment was recovered.

“I am truly honored, but more importantly I am humbled by this award,” Anderson said. “I am humbled because the guys I work with. I’ve seen what they have done on a daily basis.”

Anderson said three other Soldiers that fought in the ambush received awards for their actions.

“It was a whole lot of guys doing what was necessary,” he said.

Anderson, 40, has been with 3rd SFG since 1991.

The Silver Star is awarded to a person who, while serving in any capacity with the U.S. Army, is cited for gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force, or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

The required gallantry, while of a lesser degree than that required for the Distinguished Service Cross, must nevertheless have been performed with marked distinction.

-usasoc-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 050714-A-0403A-003.jpg (119.2 KB, 433 views)
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 18:44   #2
Radar Rider
Guerrilla Chief

Outstanding! It's great to see men like SGM Anderson be awarded for their heroism.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:46   #3
cant hardly
Asset

Congrats!

Last edited by cant hardly; 07-26-2022 at 18:45.
cant hardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 15:35   #4
glebo
Quiet Professional

Great job CSM...there's an echo for ya..
Old 10-09-2011, 16:33   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Congratulations SGM Anderson...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 17:25   #6
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Congratulations SGM Anderson...
Outstanding........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 00:09   #7
jrygalski
Quiet Professional

Great Job by a Great SF Soldier! Was in C/2/3 with SGM Anderson. He was always on his A Game and obviously, still is. BG Jones' comments are right on target...
jrygalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 13:20   #8
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Congratulations SGM, good on ya!

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote