Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 07-12-2010, 17:41   #16
Pete
Quiet Professional

Vets

Officers identified in shooting at Costco; lawyer says man did not pull gun

http://www.lvrj.com/news/man-did-not...-98279344.html

".........Officers William Mosher, 38, Joshua Stark, 28, and Thomas Mendiola, 23, shot and killed Erik Scott, 39, near the exit of the store. Mosher, the veteran of the group, has been with the agency five years. Stark and Mendiola have been with the department for less than two years............."

and

".....Saturday's shooting was not the first for Mosher, who in April 2006 was one of two officers who shot and killed a suspect in a car......"
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 17:51   #17
echoes
Area Commander

Shar,

My condolences to you, on the loss of your friend.
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 17:54   #18
J8127
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fng13 View Post
Sir,

Is that true for all PD's? If so that scares the s*** out of me because I have already gone through 2 dui checkpoints when I was CCW. I informed the officer that I was carrying and it wasn't a problem, but that makes me nervous. What about open carry then because I do that when I'm hunting.
This is general, not in reference to the topic at hand,

fng13, no police offer, actually no american has to wait for you to actually point a gun at them to respond with deadly force. The threat of going for one is enough. I may butcher the exact legal wording, but if a person of a sound mind justifiably feels threatened with severe or lethal bodily harm they may defend themselves with up to deadly force of their own.

A LEO cannot blast you because you have a gun on your hip, but if he thinks you are reaching for it to shoot him with, he has the right to defend himself, just like any private citizen really.

To the OP I apologize for not expressing my condolences, I am sorry for your loss, no matter how close or distant they may have been.
J8127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 17:54   #19
rdret1
Quiet Professional

Our condolences on the loss of your friend Shar.

~ Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

R.D. Winters
rdret1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 19:36   #20
HOLLiS
Area Commander

My condolences on the death of your friend, Shar,

Rest In Peace.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 20:22   #21
BigJimCalhoun
Guerrilla

I wonder if there were conflicting commands from the police officers on the scene - one telling Mr. Scott to do one thing and someone else commandng him to do something else.
BigJimCalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 20:44   #22
Richard
Quiet Professional

SA was FUBAR all around.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 22:51   #23
Over
Asset

Here's the version of the story I received: http://www.lvrj.com/news/slaying-of-...-98223884.html.

I went to a very small high school with Erik and his younger brother, Kevin. Erik was 3 years ahead of me, but he was a standup individual then, a mentor to a friend of mine while at USMA, and a friend and an inspiration to most in our school.

I know it's been a long time since I've seen him, longer than Shar, but I think it would be ABSOLUTELY out of character for Erik to have destroyed merchandise or brandish a weapon to individuals in the store--causing the police response. I guarantee this will be deemed a bad shoot, which means nothing at this point because we have lost a great individual.

My prayers go out to his family and friends.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 23:47   #24
Todd 1
Guerrilla

This is a terrible situation all the way around, my condolence and sympathy to the family and friends of Mr. Scott.
Todd 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:29   #25
Sierra Bravo
Auxiliary

My friend is on the investigating team

He is a retired Army Ranger

this should be interesting

I'll pass along any details that are relevant

RIP

- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Sierra Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:42   #26
Green Light
Quiet Professional

I am so sorry for your friend's death. Terribly tragic.

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 15:54   #27
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Bravo View Post
My friend is on the investigating team

He is a retired Army Ranger

this should be interesting

I'll pass along any details that are relevant

RIP
Thank you.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:09   #28
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
I would not even tell them I had a Gun. Simply do what they say. Then when they have control of you. Then tell them your carrying. A lot more to this story thou I'm sure.
This part could, at the very least, lead to your losing your permit here in NE. If you've got a CCW permit, you're required by law to inform the police at the beginning of any official contact. It'll also come up on their terminal when they run your ID. Again, that's here in NE. But I'd do the same thing anywhere. At the onset of official contact, keeping hands visible and at no time reaching for the weapon: "I'm required by law to inform you that I have a concealed carry permit and that I am carrying a firearm. What would you like me to do, sir?" Then follow the cop's instructions.

Shar, sorry for your loss.
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:43   #29
Razor
Quiet Professional

Be thou at peace.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 16:10   #30
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fng13 View Post
Sir,

Is that true for all PD's? If so that scares the s*** out of me because I have already gone through 2 dui checkpoints when I was CCW. I informed the officer that I was carrying and it wasn't a problem, but that makes me nervous. What about open carry then because I do that when I'm hunting.

Shar.

I'm sorry for your loss, I just lost one of my best friends 2 weeks ago in a car wreck. I feel your pain of losing your friend in a tragic way.
Your talking about two totally different circumstances. Read my post again carefully