Old 04-12-2006, 17:54   #1
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

WW II Jeep .50 Cal

Type of Jeep used by UK's Popski's Army in WW II

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/u...for/popski.htm

Attached below:

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.

Last edited by Trip_Wire (RIP); 11-12-2006 at 13:44.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 19:12   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

5th Group Jeep

Well I figured out how to post an attachment of a digital picture but danged if I can figure out how to post a scanned picture of a 5th Group jeep with a .50 cal.

The suckers like 2,000 pix each way. Way over the 800 x 800.

When I work it out I'll post it here. Or maybe somebody else pull it and post it.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 19:26   #3
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Well I figured out how to post an attachment of a digital picture but danged if I can figure out how to post a scanned picture of a 5th Group jeep with a .50 cal.

When I work it out I'll post it here. Or maybe somebody else pull it and post it.

Pete
Send it to Kyobanim. He's great with geek stuff.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 19:33   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Pete
Send it here:

JD@professionalsoldiers.com

I'll fix it right up!
Old 04-12-2006, 20:08   #5
Pete
Quiet Professional

Sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
I'll fix it right up!
Sent, it's on the way. Taken about 1985, not much had changed over the years.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeep01.jpg (68.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 04-12-2006, 21:21   #6
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip_Wire
Type of Jeep used by UK's Popski's Army in WW II http://www.regiments.org/regiments/u...for/popski.htm Attached below:
TW:

Boy -- wouldn't want to be the gunner, driver, or Jeep. I had M-151's with M-60's on pintle mounts while a Scout PL many years ago and found out a couple of things.

1. The gunner isn't about to hit a damn thing while the Jeep is moving.

2. The gunner best have an acute sense of muzzle awareness when shooting the MG.

3. Even that little 7.62 rocked the M-151 if fired at 90 degrees from the vehicle.

Given the statements I made based on my experiences with this combination, I would not want to be the Jeep that has a M-2 barrel over the front of its hood when it fires many shots in succession. Overpressure is immense and this probably causes severe wear on the Jeep's hood, radiator, and other innards.

I was in the Infantry during the era of the 106 RR on the M-151 Jeep. I recall that doctrine for the 106 had it in the best firing positon when shooting at about a 25 degree angle from the center of the hood. I have a vivid picture in my head of six 106 jeeps that were firing, and the pools of antifreeze from the ruptured radiators combined with broken headlights and various pieces of things from the engines on the ground after the wreckers towed said Jeeps away.

He, he, he. Great times using antique weapons and vehicles. Thank Jimmy Carter for that picture.

Gene
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:53   #7
Pete
Quiet Professional

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Econ
1. The gunner isn't about to hit a damn thing while the Jeep is moving.

2. The gunner best have an acute sense of muzzle awareness when shooting the MG.

3. Even that little 7.62 rocked the M-151 if fired at 90 degrees from the vehicle.

Given the statements I made based on my experiences with this combination, I would not want to be the Jeep that has a M-2 barrel over the front of its hood when it fires many shots in succession. Overpressure is immense and this probably causes severe wear on the Jeep's hood, radiator, and other innards.
Gene
Our Jeep is/was set up for recon operations. We also realized Gene's three points.

Long range night movement to a hide site, spend and hour or so covering tracks and setting up cammy nets, hiding all glass and setting in for the day. Repeat until you got where you were going.

The jeeps had a beefed up suspension, better tires, roll bar, equipment racks, four point seat belts and a few other minor modifications. The .50s were used at a range but only with everybody well clear. Rat Patrol we were not. Even at slow speeds and all the heavy ammo etc, stored on the floor the jeep was real top heavy with the gun up there that high.

The jeeps were kept down at 5th Group forward's location at Ft Bliss, Tx. Battalions would rotate through there for 2 months of training about once a year. They sling load under a 47 real nice. Some people in 5th Group have made some real long cross country movements in those jeeps.

Depending on where we were going we would have to take two types of cammy nets. Wait until almost sun up, pick the best color and scurry like ants covering everything.

We had chewed over the fact of really firing the critter and decided that it would only be done if we were going like a bat out of hell the other way and the gunner was firing over the rear. Once again, with somebody standing the jeeps were really, really unstable.

A lot of teams got some good training on those jeeps for a number of years. A little vehicle like that could be found in just about any country, Land Rovers prefered, and the rest of the equipment was low tec and mostly organic.

Pete
Old 04-13-2006, 08:34   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Shades of B-500!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:33   #9
sf11b_p
Guerrilla

Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel.

jeep.jpg oldsasback01.jpg
sf11b_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:44   #10
sf11b_p
Guerrilla

Just modify it a little.

FAV1s.jpg
Old 04-13-2006, 12:11   #11
Chris
Guerrilla

Good info Mr. Econ, sf11b_p, those are some old school SAS jeeps.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 20:11   #12
HOLLiS
Area Commander

In Quang Tri we did have a jeep patrol.. no mounted MG though.

We called it "Rat Patrol" after the TV show. One night when they stopped and got out of the jeep, a B40 (Rocket, 120MM? not the RPG) hit the jeep. Unfortunately one Marine was hurt.. But lucky no one was in it. We had mules with mounted 106s on them.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 20:21   #13
Pete
Quiet Professional

Pictures HOLLiS Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLiS
In Quang Tri we did have a jeep patrol.. no mounted MG though.
Come on HOLLiS, dig through that old truck ya got stashed somewhere. Sure to have a 60s era jeep picture in hiding.

The last jeeps I knew of that were still on active service in the Army were the A Team O/C's jeeps at JRTC in 1992. They were a ragged bunch but could still slip down the back trails pretty well. They were fading fast as the SOD got more Hummers to replace them.
Old 04-13-2006, 20:27   #14
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Quote:
Come on HOLLiS, dig through that old truck ya got stashed somewhere. Sure to have a 60s era jeep picture in hiding.

The last jeeps I knew of that were still on active service in the Army were the A Team O/C's jeeps at JRTC in 1992. They were a ragged bunch but could still slip down the back trails pretty well. They were fading fast as the SOD got more Hummers to replace them.
Probably if anyone has one, it is QRQ.... I moved one time and my photo album disappeared.... I think it developed feet..

Edit to add. The advantage of a Jeep over a hummer is size, if you get into mountainous areas or heavy forest smaller is better.

They would Oil the road in RVN, sure made a fun ride in a jeep. We also had mity mights.. a mini jeep.

Last edited by HOLLiS; 04-13-2006 at 20:43.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 23:05   #15
sf11b_p
Guerrilla

Few more of the FAVs.

FAV2s.jpg

FAV5s.jpg

FAV_Okinawa.jpg

FAV6s.jpg

Last edited by sf11b_p; 04-13-2006 at 23:38.