Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 12-13-2017, 11:53   #91
rsdengler
Area Commander

I think I need one of those "hot hands" right about now, my little cubicle at work is freezing. I think that is why they put me in the back..LOL....

Thanks for the advice on the "hot hands", in weather like this I need my little nubby's warmed; still waiting for my instructor to reschedule my shooting lesson. So, if that is in January...well that's definitely not a nice weather month.

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 19:24   #92
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018commo View Post
Rita,
Try the hot hands under your gloves, on top of your wrists. I use them this way waterfowling and on the skeet range. If really cold, one under your wool cap too.
That was a good tip for Rita. Wrists = lots of vessels close to the surface. In terms of heat loss they leak worse than a congressional committee.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:11   #93
rsdengler
Area Commander

Hey, I want to thank you guys for all the advice on handguns, shooting and LOL…Gloves. I had another handgun class in December and learned to shot from behind wooden structures, shooting at multiple targets, shooting positions, running from one wooden structure to another to shoot at a target, and malfunctions. It was great, and I did pretty well. Last week I went to one of my husband’s hunting properties and shoot 100 rounds at these stupid “Midget Pygmy” targets which I taped targets too (you know, those political signs you can steal from people’s yards Ha) and I think I did a really great job hitting my targets, even if the targets were Midgets. My father-in-law (who is a retired full bird) shot with one hand, and he’s a damn decent shot; right near the bullseyes every time.

I do want to advance my skills with more training, but it looks like at this time my instructor “abandoned” me, and he has not been there for me to ask questions if I were to have issues when I am shooting on my own. So I will look for another instructor; story of my life LOL. I do have a friend that can help me obtain access to a property nearby so I can go out to practice my shooting skills more often. I am in the process of constructing “portable” targets to bring to that location. My own little outdoor shooting range. I think I will incorporate those steel targets as well, I love hearing the “ding” noise when you hit one of those bad boys. Well thanks again for all the help, suggestions and everything else. I will let you know how I improve my skills in the future.

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 03-01-2018, 12:39   #94
rsdengler
Area Commander

OK, need some advice on shooting from a holster. As of right now I have not had training with an instructor for drawing from a holster. Should I buy a holster for my handgun and practice drawing? As of right now I need to find another instructor, like I stated before he kind of "abandoned" me, and I really would like additional training. So, my next step is to find another instructor. But in the meantime, any suggestions for someone who has never practiced or had instruction on drawing from a holster?

Thanks for any suggestions

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 03-01-2018, 13:32   #95
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Holsters are like everything else. They come in many different styles, colors and materials. Some have much security built into it and other little to none.

Find the one that right for you and designed for your weapon. Inside the waist band IWB or outside the waistband OWB. A simple thumb break snap over the hammer makes it at least a level 1 retention holster but other factors can come into play. Speed vs Security or location of carry. Don’t cheap out. There are very good holsters that will last a lifetime and holsters that will break in a year or two. Paddle holsters are convenient but actual belt loop attachment is more secure. And then there are all the shirts and undergarment holsters that simply keep it from falling down your outerwear. Roll around on the ground and they will fall out of the pocket.

Once you find the holster you like (know it won’t be the first or last) put it on and move it around until you find a comfortable position. Empty and clear your weapon and get ready to practice practice practice. With your firing hand open it like you are going to shake someone’s hand fingers together thumb extended. Reach straight down over the grip strap putting the web of your thumb up high under the dovetail while rolling your other fingers (not trigger finger) around the grip. If thumb break type release the snap and pull upwards. At this time your trigger finger should rest along the frame directly above the trigger housing and outside the trigger guard. As the muzzle clears the holster rotate the gun up and towards the target.

Pressing out and meeting your support hand. Your support hand should have been in waiting - about lower sternum/upper abdomen in the ‘Namaste’ position. As you punch out with your weapon the two hands should meet and as you continue to present your weapon you should have a preferred shooting grip short of full extension. From here you can hold at high ready or continue to press out to engage the target.

You can practice in front of a mirror or place a piece of tape or a target on the wall and practice a smooth and deliberate draw all the way through to a smooth trigger press (dry fire).

Practice every morning and every night until your muscles and sights align with the target. Add varying degrees of difficulty with concealment garments, jackets and gloves as the case may be.

When you can draw with one hand, your eyes closed and align the sights on that piece of tape consistently you should feel prepared and pretty good about yourself.

DON’T EVER FORGET TO CLEAR and MAKE SAFE and KEEP YOUR FINGER OUTSIDE THE TRIGGER GUARD UNTIL READY TO FIRE!

Good luck Rita!

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 03-01-2018 at 13:35.
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 13:44   #96
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Reholster in the reverse order and after making the weapon safe i.e., decock or safefy on. Practice doing this with one hand as best you can. With practice it will become natural.

As you add outerwear you have to learn to sweep shirts and jackets back and away and behind. You will also learn to use your dominant hand thumb as a hook to lift under shirts or jackets that are buttoned or zippered closed. ETA: when in the cold or wet and clothing is obstructing your draw is when your support hand becomes the clearing or tacking hand to press or move clothing away from your holster. No matter what goes wrong - your firing hand should always come down on your weapon with a firing grip from draw. Stupid happens when that doesn’t happen and bad grips lead to bad shooting or worse unintentional discharges.

Always remember to keep your trigger finger outside of the trigger guard while drawing and reholstering.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 03-01-2018 at 13:57.
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 14:03   #97
rsdengler
Area Commander

Sweet, thanks ODNT...I will print out your post so I can reference. I know, practice, practice, practice. I am going shooting over the weekend at the hunting property. I have new targets to try out, plus I have not been out to shoot since January. But I will try to find the best holster for me, and what works best for my handgun and practice my best draw. I know, safety first and always first.

My instructor said he bought me a holster/and magazine pouch but has yet to give them to me. Ha, I may never see that gift anytime soon That means I need to send back the Walker Electronic Ear Muffs I bought him...LOL...

Thanks for the advice, I will try my hand at it once I find the right holster that I feel comfortable with. Thanks a bunch

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 03-01-2018, 16:03   #98
PSM
Area Commander

This gal has 17 videos on holsters for women: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDdd...AE334EDF19918B The list is to the right of the first video.

As I mentioned in post #21 above, my wife never carries on her body which drives me crazy, I have to keep an extra eye on her purse when we are out. She wears mostly jeans but never with a belt. You've got me as to why she won't just wear a belt for her holster. And she refuses to buy jeans a couple sizes larger for an IWB holster because of vanity. Again, you've got me. She only needs the extra inch or so for her gun.

Another problem women have that men don't is they wear different types of clothing as the girl in the above videos points out. So you will need more holsters than a man would.

Have fun!

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:29   #99
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
This gal has 17 videos on holsters for women: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDdd...AE334EDF19918B The list is to the right of the first video.

As I mentioned in post #21 above, my wife never carries on her body which drives me crazy, I have to keep an extra eye on her purse when we are out. She wears mostly jeans but never with a belt. You've got me as to why she won't just wear a belt for her holster. And she refuses to buy jeans a couple sizes larger for an IWB holster because of vanity. Again, you've got me. She only needs the extra inch or so for her gun.

Another problem women have that men don't is they wear different types of clothing as the girl in the above videos points out. So you will need more holsters than a man would.

Have fun!

Pat
Thanks Pat, yea women are like that, we like our jeans to fit so we don't walk around with a baggy butt...LOL. But I do wear a belt with a few of my jeans because well,I need one, Ha...I will take a look at the video, I have been looking for a holster to fit my weapon, and comparing them. I really would not put a handgun in my purse, I rather have quick access.

Thanks for the advice

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 03-02-2018, 08:26   #100
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
Thanks Pat, yea women are like that, we like our jeans to fit so we don't walk around with a baggy butt...LOL. But I do wear a belt with a few of my jeans because well,I need one, Ha...I will take a look at the video, I have been looking for a holster to fit my weapon, and comparing them. I really would not put a handgun in my purse, I rather have quick access.

Thanks for the advice
This is a serious thought, perhaps you could come up with a stylish line of jeans for the self conscious concealed carry crowd.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:31   #101
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
This is a serious thought, perhaps you could come up with a stylish line of jeans for the self conscious concealed carry crowd.
LOL....Hummmmm...sounds like a great idea...I just need a name and logo...hummmmm, have to think...

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 03-02-2018, 09:31   #102
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

Practicing in front of a mirror is always helpful but once you reach a level where you are comfortable with your holster, video your practice. You will see your actions more clearly and can make any corrections to smooth out your draw.
Also, get some snap caps and practice reloading.

American on the inside, useful on the outside
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:45   #103
echoes
Area Commander

Smile

Just a quick update on the performance of the sccy cpx-2; My friend/instructor that I shot with last year came down for a visit and mini-vaca at the lake.

During his stay we went to a local store called Blueline Weapons that I had been in contact with about the cpx-2. The proprietor/owner had ordered it for me at a very fair price, and it was great to support a 100% Veteran owned business. (Purchased some self-defense ammo from him as well and got a card for a CCW class.)

Went to Wal-Mart, picked up eye and ear pro, cleaning kit for 9mm, and additional ammo. Thank goodness my friend was with me, as it would have been quite amusing watching me attempt to put together items for a "range bag" by myself.
During our last shoot, my friend had an ammo loader called an "up-lula?" which speeds up the process of loading, but will have to purchase this item separately. But having now practiced with it, it is on the top of my list! Wow.

Over the weekend we went to an outdoor range in the middle of no-where, (must go with someone who is very adept in finding places no one else could,) and shot about 100 rounds. The biggest thing I noticed about the cpx-2 is that it wants to kick up. My friend and I discussed that it is not like the kick back of a revolver, but up like it wants to escape your grip. And believe me, it tried!

Also, the front sight of the weapon helped me, a beginner, try and hit the targets that were set up side by side. As the pic shows, there is no where to go but up from here. “Build muscle memory,” comes to mind.

The practice x 1000 has now commenced, as well as breaking the weapon down, cleaning, oiling, and reassembling, then repeat over and over. And since I put my friend back on a plane home, classes will commence with a local instructor.

That’s it for now. Thanks again for all the great posts in this thread, a lot of great information for a new shooter.

Holly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HH range.jpg (40.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg cpx-2.jpg (36.8 KB, 18 views)
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 21:50   #104
Joker
Quiet Professional

You are looking at the target and watching the bullets to see what you are hitting.

Pay attention to the front site ignore the target, except to place the front site on the black.

Front site.
Front site.
Front site.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:55   #105
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
You are looking at the target and watching the bullets to see what you are hitting.

Pay attention to the front site ignore the target, except to place the front site on the black.

Front site.
Front site.
Front site.
Thank you for the reply, Joker. Will commit to memory right away.

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote