Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59   #1
ender18d
Quiet Professional

Question Benrus Dive Watches

I'm a bit of a watch guy, and I've been doing my homework on the Benrus dive watches that were issued to the SEALs and *allegedly* some Special Forces teams back in the 70's and 80's.

They look like this:
http://scubawatch.org/TYPE2.html

Anyway, there are multiple different versions of this watch (Type I, Type II, "sterile"). I am curious as to whether any of you folks from that era were actually issued one of these. If so, what version do you have? I'm a great lover of history, and it would be neat to wear a watch historically associated with our regiment... but only if its truly an SF watch as well and not just some SEAL thing.

Point being, I'd want to be sure it was really an SF watch and that I bought the correct version. I have found one site that said:

"There exists a sterile version of Type I Class A that has no specification markings whatsoever on the caseback other than a serial number identifying the watch. These were mostly issued to Green Berets, Special Forces, and CIA members who were engaged in behind-the-line operations and other covert missions. The watches and equipments they used had to have no trace of evidence indicating the country they were serving."

Last edited by ender18d; 11-12-2012 at 08:06.
ender18d is offline   Reply With Quote