Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-21-2005, 19:12   #1
MAB32

Time for a new watch...

I am presently looking at either a Casio "Pathfinder" or a Suunto "XG345-GPS-TV-CD, and DVD player". No, really I don't know if that is the model number of the Suunto or not. Therefore, I come to the QP's for advice and guidance into this matter.

What I want is an "extreme" outdoor watch that can withstand the riggers of the occasional "fista-cuff, mud, water, tactical tracking, and take a licking and keep on ticking". I like the features of the Pathfinder and am leaning towards one. I like the compass, barometer, altimeter and temperature features and it is big enough for my eyes to see well. Now my brother-in-law who is still procuring equipment for outgoing TDY E-Tacs says the Suunto is a better buy and is requested more by the "guys". So I need all your advice as you all have the knowledge and I do not. What works and what doesn't?

Thanks guys!
Old 03-21-2005, 19:35   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I am using the Casio and am happy with it.

The new Suunto with the GPS built in looks like a nice gadget, but it is over $600.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 19:47   #3
bberkley
Guerrilla

I haven't shopped for a new watch in quite some time. I've got a Seiko Automatic that my mom bought me for Christmas in 1987 right before I ETS'ed. I was extraordinarily hard on watches back then. Think I went through about 2 per year.

The Casio looks like a pretty nice watch. My Seiko will run down and stop if I don't wear it for one day, and almost 18 years of use has left it pretty beat up looking.
Old 03-22-2005, 00:29   #4
magician
Quiet Professional

a primary factor in my selection of field watches is, how hard will I cry if I lose it or break it?

1st Platoon "Bad 'Muthers," Company A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-1984;
ODA 151, Company B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-1986.
SFQC 04-84; Ranger class 14-81.
magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:00   #5
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician
a primary factor in my selection of field watches is, how hard will I cry if I lose it or break it?
LOL, magician. True!! Get the Doxa. got mine while in SF . For a couple decades, they quit making them. They're back! Mine has been through hell, too many stories to type. no gadget stuff, just a hard working watch that can take that beating, I can attest to that, cause I put it through hell. Check out www.doxawatches.com One thing though, I got mine in 1969 and it cost me 200 bucks. That was a ton of money back then, to get one now is ........... well a bunch of money. Tough watch. Had a bunch of watches as a diver, SF, whatever, this one is the toughest.
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:06   #6
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

I like my G Shock just fine.

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:24   #7
hoepoe
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey14
I like my G Shock just fine.
Yup, me too..simple and fairly rugged

Hoepoe
hoepoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:04   #8
Pete
Quiet Professional

G Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoepoe
Yup, me too..simple and fairly rugged

Hoepoe
That was mine also. Simple and had enough functions to cover anything I needed. Duel time zone function, Zulu and local, helps if you're going and coming a bunch.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 13:11   #9
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

The Casio "G" shock seems to be a rugged watch. I know many divers who use it down to 130 feet plus with no problems.

That said my everyday watch is a Rolex GMT Master II. It has GMT time and date. No batteries, which I like! It's a little pricy though. It is pretty rugged too. Would I cry if I lost it? You bet! I usually don't dive with it. (It's also a old SF thing, on the old list.) It was a retirement gift from my wife...always wanted one.

My other watch/dive computer is the Suunto Mosquito. It is basically a dive computer set up for recreational SCUBA diving on compressed air or nitrox. It keeps track of depth, time at depth, assent speed, times safety stops and also will connect to ones computer and with Suunto's software and cable give you all the data of your dive history. (Note: Dive wise, it gives you a lot more then I have mentioned.)

As a watch, it gives you (2) time zones, different timer functions and an illumination light built in (Press button). One con on it is the face is plastic and scratches easy.

I have a clip on Suunto compass on the watch band. It seems to work pretty good for a quick reference. I've had it down to 138 FT. No problem.

For a diver it's a great watch and BU dive computer!

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 13:16   #10
hoepoe
Guerrilla

I bought myself a Sector a few years back for everyday use. I was really dissapointed; it kep time great, had chrono, timeer, alarm etc., but every now and then, way to often would be a few seconds out of sync and would require me to reset the seconds to 0, really irritatng for a 550$ watch!

Hoepoe
hoepoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 13:28   #11
MAB32

Been thinking about the "how hard will I cry if I lose it or break it?" question for some time now. I have been thru allot of Casios & Timexs in 20+ years because of people who don't understand the meaning of "Put your hands on top of your head!" The Rolex is nice but a little out of my price range and I would cry if I lost or scratched it. Still thinking about the Pathfinder though. Anybody else here believe in "Better to have and not need, than to need and not have" as far as functions go?
Old 03-22-2005, 14:30   #12
MAB32

After visiting the "Doxa" website I can conclude with the utmost certainty that those of you who have them are in an "elite" fraternity all to yourselves.
Doxa's are out of the reach of this mere "Civil Servant".
Old 03-22-2005, 15:26   #13
bberkley
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32
After visiting the "Doxa" website I can conclude with the utmost certainty that those of you who have them are in an "elite" fraternity all to yourselves.
Doxa's are out of the reach of this mere "Civil Servant".
I would find it easier to explain to my wife why I spent several thousand dollars on a pistol than a $1500 watch.
Old 03-22-2005, 16:48   #14
MAB32

bberkley,

Bro, I concur completely. Those are nice watches, no doubt about it, but for that much I could by a nice precision rifle and an excellent piece of glass to top it off.

Is then the Suunto a better "bang for your buck" watch compared to the Pathfinder?

Also, TR, how accurate is the compass on that compared to an actual compass?
Old 03-22-2005, 18:54   #15
gk404
Asset

I was actualy thinking of getting this Nike ACG Ascent Compass Watch, at $99 it's a decent price imho.
But being the cheap bastard that I am, I'm waiting until my Timex dies (or at least until the battery runs out).
gk404 is offline   Reply With Quote