Old 08-04-2015, 10:24   #1936
MK262 MOD1
Asset

Intro

Came here looking for info for a friend (my son's TKD/BJJ coach) who just left for basic on an 18X contract. Intent was only to read and learn. Stumbled onto a thread that hit home and (despite my natural tendencies as an asocial luddite) decided to join and attempt to add relevant, positive commentary.
ME: Retired Army CW4. Eight yrs big green, 13 yrs 160th. Currently working as contractor in support of regimental acquisition / modernization efforts. Was fortunate enough to have worked with most corners of SOF ground community while working as a mission pilot. Always liked SF the best (as a whole) because they were focused, competent, down to earth, and very easy to work with.
Pre 9-11 used to do lts of Robin Sages as well as SFAUC and SFARTAETC support. Post 9-11 spent more than a couple of nights dropping guys off on the dark side of the moon at ridiculous altitudes.
Always had the utmost respect for the men and what they did. Even the ones who bitched about all the questions we asked. Most all "got it" once we explained that all those questions were written in the blood of their predecessors.
NSDQ
MK262 MOD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:39   #1937
Adrianthebear
Asset

Hello all, my name is Adrian as suggested by my username. I am 20 years old, highly motivated and determined to work my hardest to achieve all of my goals I have set for myself in regards to the Army. I look forward to gain as much knowledge from all of you as I take the necessary steps in joining the Army.

Thank You for those who have served, are serving and are looking to serve.
Adrianthebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:36   #1938
juniorg
Asset

Hello

I am 27 years old and am looking at the 18X program as a way to get into the special operations community, which is what I have wanted to do ever since I was a little kid. There have been many distractions in life keeping me from finally going this path but it is something I know I can't put off much longer.

There is a wealth of information on this site and I find myself reading for hours on end.
Thank you to all the contributors and especially the Quiet Professionals for building/running such an awesome community.
juniorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 21:18   #1939
snicklefritz
Asset

hello

I'm 21 years old, currently a team leader at 3rd batt, 75th RR. I wish I had a specific reason that I'm on here, but I'm just sort of browsing. Reading about some different perspectives on certain subjects and some personal experiences from the members.
snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:53   #1940
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Welcome all.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:06   #1941
GM3
Asset

Hello

Greetings everyone, name is Erik and i am currently in the Navy and I am a gunners mate for the navy.

I have been thinking about going blue to green and trying out for Special Forces, i look forward to meeting new people along with receiving valuable information about the program.

V/R

GM3
GM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:45   #1942
osc
Asset

Intro

Hey guys,

My name is Oscar and I've made the commitment to myself to attend SFAS and to be selected. I'm here looking for information, advice, and hopefully a mentor. I live in Arizona , I did some time in the big army and am now in the National Guard. Thank you guys for running a professional forum that I can seek knowledge and information from
osc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 21:01   #1943
jth723
Asset

Intro

First of all I want to say thank you to all of the QP's on this site who take the time to post. The information I have found has been extremely helpful for my wife and me. I am 26 years old and just enlisted 18x. I am currently in law enforcement and love my job, but I have always had military aspirations. My wife, God love her, finally told me to stop talking about the Army and just do it already. Two days later I was sitting at a recruiter's desk. I am currently working on my conditioning and mental game. I'm trying to just focus on the 25m target. OSUT is right around the corner and I cannot wait for the challenge ahead of me. Ship date - 10/14/2015.
jth723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:06   #1944
DJS24
Asset

Post Introduction

Hello all,

My name is Danny and I am currently a senior attending a university in California; I am working on a degree in the sciences. After completing my B.S. next year, my intentions are to acquire an 18x contract. My whole life I have known the military is something I am passionate about. After many google searches asking general questions, I found this site. And through this site, I have read a lot of useful information already and expect to find many more jewels of knowledge. As well, I am glad to finally have a venue in which I can ask questions directly to a well-informed audience.

I am hopeful that sometime in the near future I can find a mentor to help guide me through the process. I am currently reading "GET SELECTED" and will likely reread it in the upcoming months to keep everything fresh and in perspective.

Thank you all for your time and I hope to stand beside you one day.
- DJS24

"The effect you have on others is the most valuable currency there is." - Jim Carey

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” - Heraclitus
DJS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 16:25   #1945
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Welcome all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS24 View Post

....I am hopeful that sometime in the near future I can find a mentor to help guide me through the process.
What makes you think you need a mentor?

What do you expect your mentor to do for you that you should not be doing for yourself already?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 20:21   #1946
DJS24
Asset

Lightbulb

Deleted.
It was unnecessary text. My apologies.

"The effect you have on others is the most valuable currency there is." - Jim Carey

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” - Heraclitus

Last edited by DJS24; 03-02-2016 at 18:08.
DJS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 18:48   #1947
business_casual
Asset

Hello all. I'm an 11C, been in the Army for about four years. Working my way through SOCM in hopes of becoming an 18D.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:03   #1948
Robbie Vanheste
Asset

Hello my name is Robbie i'm 16 and very motivated to join the special forces (of my own country, Belgium).
My father is in the military and the last 6 months i began to seriously think about joining this sf group.

I have been training running, swimming, survival and martial arts(aikido and close combat) for about one year now and the actual reason why i joined this page is because i want to know how and what i need to train to elevate my chances of becoming a silent professional one day. I will have to join the para-commando's first for about 4 years and then i can take the step to the sfg.
If anyone wants to help me by saying how and what to train i would be very happy.
now i can:
- run 8 miles at a good speed.
-swim 2-3 miles (nice speed aswell)
-Do 50 push ups
-10-12 pull ups
-walk (with backpack) 20 miles (could maybe do more, never done it...)

Friendly and respectfull greets

Robbie Vanheste email: robbievanheste@gmail.com
Robbie Vanheste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:51   #1949
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS24 View Post

Reading what I've just written, and knowing how someone might interpret it, I must disclaimer...
- DJS
1)This is not a discussion thread.
2)Spend less time pontificating and more time reading..

Welcome all...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 22:44   #1950
SPARTAN A045
Asset

intro

My name is Jon. I recently got out of the Marines. I was an Infantryman in 2/1 Golf co. During my last deployment I had the opportunity to work with 1st Force Reconnaissance where we primarily focused on DA and VBSS missions for a Marine Expeditionary Unit.

Working with SOF and getting to know all of the awesome dudes made me want to lat move to recon, but they convinced me that Army SF was the way to go. So here I am, training for selection and trying to seek the knowledge of you guys without gaming the game. Glad to be here.