Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Europe

Old 07-17-2011, 09:18   #16
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I agree with PRB, we're not facing any threats in Europe, time to bring the boys home. Leave some medical units and Air Force. We sure could use the cuts in spending right now....
Old 07-19-2011, 11:19   #17
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by eine_frau View Post
I would be interested in an answer to PRB's question as to how important troop concentrations in Europe are...

As a German local I have more selfish interests in the posts staying open.
American families make up a part of my business. My house would lose significant value if the Army suddenly threw all that living space on the market, etc...

From what I understand the military seriously looked into moving posts from Germany to Poland, Rumania, etc... when Schröder refused to get Germany involved in the war in Iraq. Havn't heard much about that lately
The concerns (usually economic impact) are not unique to Europe but have been endured by many areas in the USA who've lost one or another iteration of BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure). A country has to do what it has to do.

Around here that F16 running low-level ingress routes, or the weekend music of 105's going off, is called "the sound of Freedom." Statewide, busine$$es call it something else, as they're already familiar with what's at stake. Most of the citizenry is supportive anyway because it's both in their makeup and it's their son/daughter that is going through their 3rd deployment and we watched their baseball practices, went to their school recitals when they were growing up, etc.)

To stay in an environment that isn't supportive, absent the threat that previously justified the presence, isn't going to carry economic water. I had this debate with the young "professionally-permanent" students at the Frei Universitat in the 60's. "Ami go home" ... fine. Let me know how that student mil-service deferment based on your pilgrimage to West Berlin works out for you.

Respectfully, it seems no one wants the Spartan on their fenceline until it cuts into their rice bowl. Plus ca change...
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:12   #18
-Jas-
Asset

AFAIK Bases like Katterbach (not particually the Ansbach facility), Bamberg and Oberpfaffenhofen are safe to stay.

For Katterbach IIRC the bunker complex is unique and vital as is the Recce/Signal capabilities of Oberpfaffenhofen in order to furfill some (tbh a bit outdated) NATO Agreements.

Bamberg is said to be the 2nd largest US Ammunition Depot outside US soil and is a logistic key point for any operation in the middle east.

And look: Future Operations of the US, NATO or some Allies with US interests involved will probably take place in northern Africa. So Germany isn´t a particually bad place for stationing your troops. It´s one of the most secure and safe countries in the world, provides a very high standard of living and has an accomplished history with US Troops being stationed in the country. Very little personal conflicts besides this noise gibberish (which I can tell you also the Bundeswehr is constantly facing).

And I mean, even though it´s the military, you might check with your troops: Where would you rather spend some years of your service away from home: Germany or Romania/Hungary etc....

I myself was stationed in the US with the German Troops there. (for those who didn´t knew this: Germany has got 5 military Bases on US Soil). And well if it was not the United States I am sure I would have not enjoyed my stay as I did.
-Jas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:50   #19
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jas- View Post
(for those who didn´t knew this: Germany has got 5 military Bases on US Soil).
I think Jas meant to say there are 5 American bases in the US where German military forces are routinely stationed for training - two of them are here in Texas (one in the SW for Heer training and one in the North for Luftwaffe training).

This is not any sort of NWO conspiracy.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:06   #20
-Jas-
Asset

Shhhhhh

We do sell that differently to the people here

Holloman AFB does actually have a real base even with german flight security personnel and air traffic management, that´s why we are flying there with german markings on the Tornados and under german flight security rules. The HQ Command US/CA is pretty independent too and for instance is not embedded in any other USGOV Institution or facility, as it is for the traffic&transportation Department at Dulles International Airport.

But anyway let me live on in my dreams that we made a fair trade instead of you having the best training areas in our country (Grafenwöhr and Baumholder) and us "occupying" some lifeless desert in the middle of nowhere.

Btw: NWO conspiracy? With Germany on Top? Wahahha yeah no... maybe if the US-GER-UK-F-I-J formed the USD - United States of Debt we´ll have some say in a NWO

Greetings from sunny Airborne School Altenstadt
-Jas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:27   #21
Richard
Quiet Professional

It's a kinda sorta thing...

http://www.holloman.af.mil/library/f...et.asp?id=4364

FWIW - El Paso and Alamogordo are both good places to find great German food and conversation for those wanting to enjoy a taste of Germany and practice their language skills.

OBTW - I sure miss Altenstadt. I remember when we were undergoing team HALO training there and one of the guys landed in a mist sump at a dairy near the DZ after a combination of a not so great 'spot' from an MC-130E and a breezy day - the riggers were pissed about their chutes and we made him hose down before that chilly ride back to Tölz in the back of the M35.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote