Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 02-02-2004, 18:43   #1
Razor
Quiet Professional

Everyone busy at work?

Alright then, I'll try to stir up some discussion.

How about LED lights. What do folks prefer for the types out there (i.e. small map-reading lights, larger flashlights, etc)? While I like the Photon III microlights, I think a deployed, sparsely-supported soldier would find a lot of utility from a CMG Infinity Ultra. Sure, its much larger, but its much more durable, runs off a commonly-available AA battery, and is unquestionably waterproof if the o-ring is maintained. On the downside, the Ultra LED only comes in white (to my knowledge), the battery rattles when turned off (unless you use a homemade foam spacer), it only runs on or off (no strobe like the Photon) and you have to twist the front end to turn it on and off (no easy squeeze on-off like the Photon). So, one solution would be to have a few Photons for regular use, but keep a CMG Infinity handy in the ruck in case the Photon craps out on you.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 19:09   #2
Air.177
Quiet Professional

how about a surefire A2 aviator, or a streamlight twintask light with both a high output xenon light and long duration LEDs. Surefires are spendy, but worth their weight in gold.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 19:52   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Currently running a white Photon II, a red Photon III, a Princeton-Tec headlamp, a Surefire E2e w/KL1 head, a Surefire E1, and a Surefire M961-C weapons light.

Replacing the headlamp with a Photon Fusion, the E2e/KL1 combo with a SF L1 Lumamax, and considering adding a SF U2 and dropping the E1.

I found the CMG to be a bit bulky for the light it provides.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 20:03   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Currently running a white Photon II, a red Photon III, a Princeton-Tec headlamp, a Surefire E2e w/KL1 head, a Surefire E1, and a Surefire M961-C weapons light.

Replacing the headlamp with a Photon Fusion, the E2e/KL1 combo with a SF L1 Lumamax, and considering adding a SF U2 and dropping the E1.

I found the CMG to be a bit bulky for the light it provides.

TR
Scared of the dark Boss? LOL
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 20:12   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Scared of the dark Boss? LOL
That and women with big hands and Adam's apples.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 02-02-2004, 20:14   #6
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
That and women with big hands and Adam's apples.

TR
LOL

I have a Surefire Z whatever it is that I carry with me and a couple of mini maglites in the brief case and aid bag.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-02-2004, 20:26   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

NDD:

Have you no Photons, of any Mark or color? Blasphemer!!

I would ditch the Mini-mags for a good one or two cell LED light. You could do a lot worse than the CMG Infinity Ultra Razor recommended. About $24 each.

No bulbs, tons of burn hours per battery.

TR

Old 02-02-2004, 21:08   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
NDD:

Have you no Photons, of any Mark or color? Blasphemer!!

I would ditch the Mini-mags for a good one or two cell LED light. You could do a lot worse than the CMG Infinity Ultra Razor recommended. About $24 each.

No bulbs, tons of burn hours per battery.

TR
LOL - one uses what one can get at the local hardware store. I've got some stuff on order. eggroll comes first though.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-03-2004, 13:04   #9
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Air.177
how about a surefire A2 aviator, or a streamlight twintask light with both a high output xenon light and long duration LEDs. Surefires are spendy, but worth their weight in gold.
That brings up a good point. I originally was talking about small, single-cell/single-LED lights, but advances in LED output have made some of the multi-cell/multi-LED lights a viable alternative to the venerable Mini-mag or old D-cell anglehead issue flashlight.

I don't have a Surefire LED light, but I picked up a 1 and a 2-cell Streamlight TwinTask on sale last fall, and have been fairly happy with their performance, especially in light (no pun intended) of their low cost. I would prefer a different switch system (the current one cycles between LED/Off/Incandescent/Off), but that's my personal preference. The incandescent isn't as bright as my SF E2e, and the LED white light has a noticable blue tint, but for ~$25, I won't complain too loudly.

Has anyone out there tried the Minimag LED replacement head? I've read about it a little at www.candlepowerforums.com , but I'd like to hear some feedback from guys that use their lights like I did, in the rain, in the mud, in the cold, etc.

TR, any particular reason you use both a Photon II and III? I'm not so keen on the IIs switch for constant on/off, and I like the strobe and intensity settings on the III. Have you ever tried the IR Photon? I wonder if its strong enough to use as an emergency strobe for signalling a/c. Also, I've heard rave reviews for the Tikka 4 headlamp; what do you like about the Fusion?

Last edited by Razor; 02-03-2004 at 13:07.
Old 02-03-2004, 13:11   #10
Air.177
Quiet Professional

my bad, As for that type of light, how about a streamlight stylus, i have two of them and other than being easy to lose, they have been great. They do take quadruple A batteries though which are tough to get a hold of. Also, how about the Inova 5 LED lights?
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 13:21   #11
Razor
Quiet Professional

I keep an Inova 5 in my car. Puts out some decent light, runs well even with low 123s (good use for those batteries that won't run a Surefire, but aren't quite dead), and makes a good fistload, if need be.
Old 02-03-2004, 13:25   #12
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

My headlamp of choice is actually a rayovac cheapie from wally world. It has a single white LED, dual red LED's and a Xenon lamp on it, and it runs off of 3 AAA's.

My other choice is a brinkmann LED light. It's got a single LED, pushbutton on the back that also is the on/off switch, and it's nice white and bright.

I have had too many photons get crustified to the point of no return to even bother spending the money on them anymore.

The IR ones are bright enough that you probably could use it for aerial signalling, however I wouldn't rely on it.
TF Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 13:55   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
TR, any particular reason you use both a Photon II and III? I'm not so keen on the IIs switch for constant on/off, and I like the strobe and intensity settings on the III. Have you ever tried the IR Photon? I wonder if its strong enough to use as an emergency strobe for signalling a/c. Also, I've heard rave reviews for the Tikka 4 headlamp; what do you like about the Fusion?
Photon II (White) is my pocket light. It is much more water resistant than the Photon III, since the III is chip controlled, and the white light is good for color differentiation.

The Photon III (Red) is on my dogtag chain. It is my quick tactical light for map checks, freq changes, CEOI checks, etc. It also has the strobe modes for signalling. I have heard that you should not use white or yellow for signalling as it tends to look like ground fire.

Have not tried the IR, but it should work for signalling if you are in the open. Under canopy, I doubt it.

Not sure about the Tikka 4, but the Tikka and Tikka Plus do not provide the light of the Fusion, do not have red LEDs built in, do not have the range of lighting options of the Fusion, nor the flexibility of the Fusion for different lighting tasks. Check out the details and reviews of the Fusion.

HTH.

TR

Old 02-03-2004, 17:24   #14
Razor
Quiet Professional

Just finished reading about the Fusion...very impressive! Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 02-03-2004, 17:27   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Just trying to live up to my former rep as Captain Gadget.

TR