Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Arena

Old 10-31-2019, 11:12   #1
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

MLB World Series 2019.... Did it really happen?

In the past there was always at least a little bit of buzz in here as the playoffs came around in MLB. Strangely silent this year which is interesting as the teams seem to have come from islands.

The Astros representing the American League while I still think of them as an NL team. Does that make the purist disregard them?

The Nationals from the DC area as a transplant NL team that maybe has only regional/sub-regional interest.

Pitching matchups were interesting especially in game 7. That was a collection of Cy Young winners. Otherwise just generally happy that Bryce Harper watched it from his basement.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:25   #2
bblhead672
Area Commander

The only interesting thing I observed about this years World Series is that the road team won every game.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 13:55   #3
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Watched the whole thing even when I couldn’t watch it live, I’d catch the replay. (I’m in Houston now so rooted for the home team) Thought a couple time about starting a thread in “The Arena” but didn’t after all.

It was a good match up between the two teams and very interesting to watch the visiting team win all the games. Maybe the Astros shouldn’t have had the winningest season and home field (dis)advantage.

The best team won this year. Even if it wasn’t the one I was cheering for.

The head coaches and field coaches will have regret the decisions they made that changed the outcomes.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 23:20   #4
Airbornelawyer

After all the talk from baseball analysts and Sabremeticians about "bullpenning" and how over-the-hill 30-something players are, it was nice to see a World Series between teams, both of whom were among the oldest in average age (and the Nats were the oldest), with dominant starting pitchers.

My other takeaway is that if the MLB Umpires Association was hoping that this postseason would be a showcase for why there is no need for rules changes or new technology (robot umps) affecting umpiring, they failed miserably. I expect we will see not just robot umps for strike calls, but a new, less arbitrary rule for checked swings, and probably a change to that running lane rule.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:02   #5
Badger52
Area Commander

Mrs & I watched some just for love of the game, no emotional stake in the teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
The Astros representing the American League while I still think of them as an NL team. Does that make the purist disregard them?
Agree; found myself forgetting that they were made to jump ship from playing baseball to that other game. Still think of them as part of the NL Central but I'm of a certain vintage, so...

Quote:
The Nationals from the DC area as a transplant NL team that maybe has only regional/sub-regional interest.
As well as they played (and Rendon put on a complete-player clinic), I could not root for a team from Mordor on the Potomac.

Quote:
Otherwise just generally happy that Bryce Harper watched it from his basement.
Yup. The only thing that would've been better is if John Smoltz would man-up and put a shock collar on Joe Buck who talks more than a Ginsu knife commercial, hence the reason for @#somebodyPLEASEducttapeJoeBucksmouth.com, as well as @#JoeBuckIsTheReasonTVRemotesHaveMuteButtons.com

Agree with Airbornelawyer: Quality of the plate umpiring often left much to be desired. Also, there are too many things they could still do that would improve the "pace" of the game that are tolerated that shouldn't be. My 2 curmudgeonly examples:

- Batters who, between EACH PITCH, feel the need to go through their personal toilet routine before they step back into the batter's box. My solution:
UMPIRE: "Best get in here son, because this isn't a time-out & that guy out there has my permission to throw the ball, and if he throws it while you're out there tucking in your jewelry, well..."

- Pitchers (and catchers) these days who have to have a new ball whenever it collects too many dust particles in mid-air. My solution:
UMPIRE (tossing the ball back to the mound): "This is the ball I gave you son and that's the one you're going to use. I'll decide when you need a new one."

Harumph!

The Cubs are going to find out next year that "lovable Grandpa Rossy" (David Ross) as a manager is a very intense & focused guy who will brook no sloth or less-than-best effort. It will be interesting during spring training to see whose rucks end up in the hall.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:16   #6
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
- Pitchers (and catchers) these days who have to have a new ball whenever it collects too many dust particles in mid-air. My solution:
UMPIRE (tossing the ball back to the mound): "This is the ball I gave you son and that's the one you're going to use. I'll decide when you need a new one."

Love this thought as I've had the same
The circumstance you note

1. Pitch in the dirt, catcher blocks the one-hopper hands it to the ump -Result- New ball

2. Ball hit to shortstop, one-hopper in the infield dirt knocked down by the short stop, throw to first baseman who digs it out of the dirt - Result- Ball thrown back to the pitcher, play continues.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote