Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 10-18-2019, 09:34   #61
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Just to shake the bush where the hornets nest is hanging - but Israel also needs to shut the fuck up.
You're such a pest...

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:14   #62
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
A stable middle east as a goal? Has there been a "stable" middle east in the last few thousand years?
If you haven't as of yet I'd suggest this as an interesting read and insight into the long and illustrious history of the west in the region.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTEOP.jpg (70.6 KB, 60 views)

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 15:34   #63
Pete
Quiet Professional

Trump’s Big Move On Turkey May Gain U.S. Goals

https://www.nysun.com/foreign/trump-...s-goals/90872/

An interesting article - worth a slow read.

"The controversy over President Trump’s pullout on the Turkish–Syrian border will settle down quickly. It is another useful debunking of ancient shibboleths and decrepit truisms, like the long-impregnable encrustation of false wisdom that moving the U.S embassy in Israel to Jerusalem would unleash hell upon the whole Middle East...."
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 20:28   #64
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
That indeed is a damned good piece; thank you for sharing that. Definitely not for the 15-sec attention span of a pundit's comment. Timeline was well-woven [seen as history lesson type stuff].

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino

Last edited by Badger52; 10-21-2019 at 05:26.
Badger52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:06   #65
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Thanks, will attempt to share with the screamers.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:29   #66
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Thanks, will attempt to share with the screamers.
Me too!
Old 10-21-2019, 08:18   #67
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Pete appreciate the reference as well, a comprehensive perspective. Over the years I’ve had conversations with Kurds on several occasions an always ended with me scratching my head, seemed like hearing cats... realized there are a lot of dynamics at work.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:52   #68
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
The brake-up of the ottoman empire after WW I was a disaster. Apparently, Erdogan agrees and wants to recreate the old days, with his self as the Emperor,, of a Nuclear Caliph??

This does not bode well for anyone involved.

Quote:

Erdogan Wants Nuclear Weapons

October 20, 2019 at 9:59 pm EDT By Taegan Goddard 125 Comments

“Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, wants more than control over a wide swath of Syria along his country’s border. He says he wants the Bomb,” the New York Times reports.

“In the weeks leading up to his order to launch the military across the border to clear Kurdish areas, Mr. Erdogan made no secret of his larger ambition.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/20/w...Z3cbjd2Gsoc0Nk

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:32   #69
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Pete, that Conrad Black story is the same one I must have read back in the 80’s except it’s been updated. Yep, that’s my understanding of the Kurd issue and the other regional players. Not much has changed except we keep getting in bed with them expecting a different outcome.

I don’t care for Turkey’s control of that strategic landmass and would not trust Erdogan to be a straight player, but what is to be done is beyond my pay grade.

If peace is the absence of war, that region has seen only shimmering glimpses since before the first two men settled there - one was Muslim the other Christian...

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:06   #70
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post
Pete appreciate the reference as well, a comprehensive perspective. Over the years I’ve had conversations with Kurds on several occasions and always ended with me scratching my head, seemed like herding cats... realized there are a lot of dynamics at work.
Edit: Anecdotal of course. I have always supported liberty and the idea of a Kurdish State ... one would think they disliked Erdogan but I didn’t always get that. Now Syria seems to be looking for an alliance? Certainly it was tragic what happened to them in Iraq.
Apologize, that was no edit

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 10-22-2019 at 09:00.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 13:03   #71
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
If you haven't as of yet I'd suggest this as an interesting read and insight into the long and illustrious history of the west in the region.
Thanks. Placed order for book.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 19:49   #72
Stobey
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
Maybe US forces and French forces would exercise their right to self defense that would prompt Erdogan to reconsider his atrocious move

Word from the ground is the Turks recycle the jihadis ie into free Syrian army to fight the Kurds/SDF. A win for the Turks

Yep. They are both sunni muslims and hate Assad. As far as the escaping jihadi "prisoners" are concerned, the Kurds, who have now allied with Assad, should just turn them over to him. He'll know what to do with them.