Old 02-28-2007, 10:57   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzy
Is using this lube like using synthetic oil on a car, in the sense that once you use it you can't go back to a 'normal' lube like CLP?

SPC Fonz
I do not know why you cannot change oil types in a vehicle, but I know of no reason that you cannot change weapons lubes as necessary. Not like weapons clearances are as tight as piston ring-cylinder and bearing clearances are or operate at 8,000 rpm.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:33   #17
kachingchingpow
Guerrilla

The theory is that once synthetic penetrates the seals (valve stem, front & rear mains, etc.) that traditional oil will not. After running synthetic, then swapping to traditional oil the seals may dry and become brittle and leak. Not sure how scientific that theory is, but most people I know won't risk going back after running synthetic.
kachingchingpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 13:07   #18
rubberneck
Area Commander

Warrior-Mentor I have a 1/2 ounce bottle of the oil and a tube of the grease that I got at the Ct State IDPA match last year. I have more Militec than I know what to do with. If you want the oil and grease let me know and I send them off to you.
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 16:31   #19
letinsh
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master
I would say that an oven at 250 would do as well.
Let them cool, then wipe it dry.
Militec says that if using a heat-controlled environment, do not exceed 150F.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:47   #20
odoylerules
Asset

I used this stuff for about half the time I was in Iraq, and something I've yet to notice mentioned was its dust-repellant properties. It's not an advertised trait, but a lot of the guys who used it (myself included) noticed that somehow those of us using Militec routinely had less dust buildup than those using CLP.

Needless to say, I loved it and my 16oz bottle (I shared with friends...) was something I hated to leave behind when we redeployed, but at least the next unit is (hopefully) getting some use out of it.

UPDATE 16 Mar: got to thinking today I ought to order myself a bottle of Militec for a personally owned firearm at home in Virginia and one for using here in Texas at work. About an hour after placing my order (using their military discount), I get a phone call from them, expecting them to ask for some sort of proof I'm in the Army, since I listed a civilian address in addition to a military installation.

Turns out they called to tell me they're just going to send me two free bottles of it for my own use (one to VA, one to TX) in addition to a bunch of 1oz bottles to Texas for me to share with guys in my unit. I'm very impressed.

Last edited by odoylerules; 03-16-2007 at 13:27.
odoylerules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 17:58   #21
Kraut783
Auxiliary

Location: Dallas Texas Metro Area / Back from the sandbox for now...
Props again..

I ordered two bottles from Militec last night...I had provided my AKO e-mail for contact. I had a call from "Russ" at Militec this morning asking if I was AD, I replied that I was NG but had ordered the items for a deployment coming up later this year. He advised that he will be sending out the items and re-funding my credit card. He explained that he sends out free bottles for those going to the sandbox. It was totaly unexpected and appreciated.

Salute to Militec and their support for the troops.

Last edited by Kraut783; 05-01-2007 at 20:06.
Kraut783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 21:37   #22
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by letinsh
Militec says that if using a heat-controlled environment, do not exceed 150F.
All well and good, they have to worry about "Product Liability"!! A Firearm left in the sun or in the interior of a vehicle will well exceed this!!! When was the last time that you saw a Standard Kitchen Range with a 150F setting!! Believe me, your weapons will definitely get hotter than 250F during extended firing!!!

Get it hot and let the stuff do it's Magic!!!.......IT WORKS!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:16   #23
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Received some samples of this http://www.topduckproducts.com/ at the World SWAT competition last week. Haven't tried it but the demo was impressive.

click "more info" on opening page

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:09   #24
Lanyard
Asset

Corrosion Tests

These speak more to storage/corrosion properties than to lube, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
Lanyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:08   #25
incommin
Quiet Professional

All this fuss about lubes....... I use good old axle grease and or 90w gear lube.... never had any rust, finish damage, or function problems.....

Jim

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 16:26   #26
trailrunner
Asset

Miltec sounds good from all the posts, does TW25B hold up as well?

I am still using Lubriplate, which has worked well for my limited needs.
trailrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 17:54   #27
Firearmz
Asset

Mil-Comm did the same thing for my son on his last tour in Iraq. They all used TW25B and I use it in all of my guns. How ever i think just about any of the miracle lubes of today work with routine maintenance and cleaning. I have heard good things about Miltec also.
Firearmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 00:08   #28
CharlieMike
Asset

I have to agree with incommin on this. My gunner uses motor oil to lube his M2 and I use ball joint grease on the internal points of my weapons. Cheap, easily accessible, and utterly reliable. Just my .02
CharlieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 16:07   #29
johnbamburg
FTFSI

I've used Miltec for and it's great.
Lately, due to the price I've switched to plain old Mobile 1, synthetic.
Works just as good for a whole lot less money.
just a thought
johnbamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 18:20   #30
koz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbamburg View Post
I've used Miltec for and it's great.
Lately, due to the price I've switched to plain old Mobile 1, synthetic.
Works just as good for a whole lot less money.
just a thought

Please read the rules and comply before posting elsewhere. You were sent an e-mail about posting an introduction before posting in others threads. You've been here for 8 months and I'm sure you've seen TR, TS or others say the same thing. These rules apply to everyone.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote