Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 06-10-2010, 14:59   #16
pyreaux
Guerrilla

If anyone wants more research materials, the Acadian term is Cochon de lait. There are several variations of pig roasting devices that we use in south louisiana. We use pits, a device like what you show that we sometimes call a cajun microwave, also a vertical thinwalled metal box with a motor mounted to the top to rotate the pig and a low fire in the base of the chamber, and a cinder block "oven/pit" like the ehow article mentioned above. A google search should bring up several of these options. Each one has its pros and cons.
pyreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:17   #17
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

My La Caja China arrived yesterday. I assembled it today. Before I put it together I reinforced it. The original construction and fabrication sucked, bad. Don't get one if you're a do it yourself type cause when you see this thing it's going to piss you off. After an hour of "fixing" it should last more then one use.

I would not purchase another and I would make one before I bought one again. FYI TS
Old 06-12-2010, 11:01   #18
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Thanks, had put off ordering, but now I won't. How about some pics?

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:30   #19
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
Thanks, had put off ordering, but now I won't. How about some pics?
Got to find my camera!
Old 06-13-2010, 10:55   #20
Counsel
Guerrilla

Thumbs up

La Caja Chica is what we use down here all the time. Part of the fun is roasting the pig. Of course, that is directly proportional to how many beers and friends you have there. If no friends are available then it sucks, but if no friends and no beers are available, well then, there is no reason why one should spend that much time with that damn thing.

My 02.
"Sure, we want to go home. We want this war over with. The quickest way to get it over with is to go get the bastards who started it. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we can go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper hanging son-of-a-bitch Hitler. Just like I'd shoot a snake!"

Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Counsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 14:16   #21
219seminole
Guerrilla

TS, did you get the aluminum or the galvanized steel model?
219seminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:44   #22
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 219seminole View Post
TS, did you get the aluminum or the galvanized steel model?
Aluminum, and the aluminum used is just a tiny bit thicker than the roll of aluminum on your shelf. It's as thin as can be and still retain stiffness.

BTW I cut steel for a year in a factory so I have a bit of a background in steel fabrication.

In some places the aluminum on the La Caja China is "stapled" to the wood with "two" whole staples and those were not driven in well at all.
This La Caja China box is the most minimal construction job I've seen in a long time. There's not an edge that will not cut you to ribbons and there are warnings just to that end.
Old 06-14-2010, 22:06   #23
219seminole
Guerrilla

Thanks for the info, TS.

Sounds like making one from scratch is option numero uno.
219seminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:02   #24
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 219seminole View Post
Thanks for the info, TS.

Sounds like making one from scratch is option numero uno.
I'd go to Lowes and purchase some plywood, line it with a sheet of stainless steel and make my own box. The tray/box that holds the charcoal doesn't look as if it will last past one or two uses, very flimsy indeed. I'll be making my own soon I'm sure.
Old 06-17-2010, 15:56   #25
pyreaux
Guerrilla

For a more sturdy purchase option you may want to look into Al Simon's version. It's several times more expensive than the caja china, but made of Stainless and Cypress. I'm sure making your own is still the most economical method but Al's seem to be holding up well around LSU tailgating. I do not own one personally, but have heard many favorable reviews and have seen the quality of construction in person.
pyreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:53   #26
Penn
Area Commander

Ok, here's the skinny on the "La Caja China"; this past weekend I participated in the Summit Food and Wine Festival with several national chefs'... "appetizer course from the current “Iron Chef”, Jose Garces. Afterwards, a fabulous fish course prepared by chef Craig Shelton, from the Ryland Inn. A little “Latin flair” featuring a special pork dish will then be provided by Chef Douglas Rodriguez, the innovator of “Nuevo Latino” cuisine..."a tasty dessert course from one of America’s best pastry chefs, Pichet Ong."

Rodriquez did the after party, whole roasted pig on a stainless steel "La Caja China" with the owner and designer of the "La Caja" (he is going to be sending me some pic's) the only word to describe the roosted pig is: incredible. I've never tasted anything cook that large 75#+/-, and also cooked whole, so perfectly executed.

The technique was mindless. Basically season, layout the product on the rack, place in the "Caja", spread the charcoal on the table over the product, light, and 90 minutes or so later, a perfectly cooked pig. That's the upside.

The downside imho
You will always need two people to deal with the rack for large product, as it makes no sense to buy the cheaper and poorly may wooden models.

The cost of the stainless Steel rig is approximately $1200, a lot of money if you are only using it a few times a year.

Cleaning the beast: find a midget, because bending over that box will have your lower back conversing with your decision process in no time.

Closing thought: food groupies are little piggies.

Last edited by Penn; 09-28-2010 at 01:56.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 19:50   #27
Penn
Area Commander

La Caja with a Pig

The first one is of the owner and developer of La Caja China
The second one is a perfectly cooked pig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La Caja.jpg (90.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg La Caja 2.jpg (73.0 KB, 18 views)
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote