Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18F

Old 01-28-2014, 21:31   #31
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

A Tradecraft Primer: Structured Analytic Techniques for Improving Intel Analysis

A Tradecraft Primer: Structured Analytic Techniques for Improving Intelligence Analysis

Here is a good read over how Analysis work and anyone think or working in the Fox position should look over.

http://www.scip.org/files/Resources/...aft-Primer.pdf

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:08   #32
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Is there any open source info out there on the US approach and its strengths and weakness and possible different ways ie UK, Russian system that we could learn from?
You asking on how we differ in the way we do intelligence analysis to the Russians and the Brets?

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 01-29-2014, 22:12   #33
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
A Tradecraft Primer: Structured Analytic Techniques for Improving Intelligence Analysis

Here is a good read over how Analysis work and anyone think or working in the Fox position should look over.

http://www.scip.org/files/Resources/...aft-Primer.pdf
Gutes Lesen!

I also recommend Intelligence Analysis: A Target-Centric Approach 4th Ed by Robert M. Clark

It builds on the premise that the old intel cycle does not correspond well in today's requirement for quick turnaround and involvement of all parties. Also discussed in great detail: The framing effect and Bayes' Theorem.....usw

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 22:27   #34
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
Gutes Lesen!

I also recommend Intelligence Analysis: A Target-Centric Approach 4th Ed by Robert M. Clark

It builds on the premise that the old intel cycle does not correspond well in today's requirement for quick turnaround and involvement of all parties. Also discussed in great detail: The framing effect and Bayes' Theorem.....usw
I think I reviewed this. It's good, but damn it is very dry reading.

I thought it was good and give a great baseline on how too. BUT it didn't provide good example of the how to parts. Good a Intell books I deploy with and reach for. One thing that is very good about Intelligence Analysis: A Target-Centric Approach is that it does reach down to the basics. I think the military should use this as a base for a INTEL PAM booklet for new 35F and such.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 01-29-2014, 22:29   #35
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Basically how do we do business vs other countries and what are the strength and weakness of each. Open source material.
I'll have to think on this one. I'll be PMing you some questions over this.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 01-30-2014, 16:20   #36
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
I think I reviewed this. It's good, but damn it is very dry reading.

I thought it was good and give a great baseline on how too. BUT it didn't provide good example of the how to parts. Good a Intell books I deploy with and reach for. One thing that is very good about Intelligence Analysis: A Target-Centric Approach is that it does reach down to the basics. I think the military should use this as a base for a INTEL PAM booklet for new 35F and such.
yep, it sure is . Was reading it during blood draw and man, it was a struggle. I thought at the end there was some practical how to/case study contrasting Iraq intel inaccuracy and that of Bosnia.

Well, here's an easy read and practical one....useful to train regular Joe's as well. The 35 series that I came across are quite good with "loose lips sink ships" adage, even one fresh out of AIT
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investig...ion-techniques

Quote:
Basically how do we do business vs other countries and what are the strength and weakness of each. Open source material.
The book US Intelligence Community 6th edition by Richelson goes over that a bit. Basically, unlike us with 17 IC members + their subsets, other countries has more limited, yet consolidated collecting agencies

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 19:08   #37
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

I think frostfire hit it on the head. We have a military with how many different INTELs and how well do they work and work together? Israel is go goo because they are so small and everything is linked together. Well unlike our IC. SOF is special and other are normal and we each use different systems, platforms and programs.

We have to many chiefs that have no clue in the INTs, let along operational side of things. Then you have operations that don't look at the intel, dart board planning because they have their own agendas.

Like myself and Frostfire said, getting people reading and doing it over and over.

Look at it this way. If the military is using say ArcGIS, Google Earth or Palantir. Then why aren't units getting the paid NET teams, MTTs and foundry programs paid for to come and teach them? There are tons on paid for programs out there that units don't tap into. The reason isn't because they don't know. It is typically the soldiers don't want to sit in a classroom weeks before deploying. So you have All Source Analysis, Foxes, ETC that will be using say Palantir and Arcs daily or weekly yet never had formal training on the system they will not sit in a class. I told Foxes that didn't want to sit in a four day refresher class, so you much rather go home at 1 pm (1300) because of deploying. YES. Well would you stay or go to a flat range till four (1600)? YES. YOU GET what I'm driving at.

This is IMO some of the same stuff going on in the IC. Not in training but in the process.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 01-30-2014, 19:55   #38
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
yep, it sure is . Was reading it during blood draw and man, it was a struggle. I thought at the end there was some practical how to/case study contrasting Iraq intel inaccuracy and that of Bosnia.

Well, here's an easy read and practical one....useful to train regular Joe's as well. The 35 series that I came across are quite good with "loose lips sink ships" adage, even one fresh out of AIT
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investig...ion-techniques

The book US Intelligence Community 6th edition by Richelson goes over that a bit. Basically, unlike us with 17 IC members + their subsets, other countries has more limited, yet consolidated collecting agencies
Frostfire.. I thought I posted this in the body language thread. This is really good and when I have a MIST or CAT ask how to doing certain things that involve a lot that this talks about I just online and print this out for them. I give this apart of my welcome to the ODA Package too.

Nice reading for many!!

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 06-25-2014, 11:13   #39
Ya_Veo
Asset

Surprised

I see everyone brought out the big books for all the esteemed writers from the intel community. But my brief slide through I didn't see anything on

FM 1-02 (ADRP 1-02) Even dust off the old FM 101-5-1
FM 100-2-1
Study some Critical thinking Techniques
You can even study The old FM 34-130.
And bullion logic

Some are old and outdated but you can still take away from it. build on doctrine and have a great foundation and them move on to those advanced books in the beginning of this tread.

Plus it will help that young LT reach out to the old and crusty CWOs.

just my .02
Old 06-25-2014, 22:00   #40
jbour13
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ya_Veo View Post
I see everyone brought out the big books for all the esteemed writers from the intel community. But my brief slide through I didn't see anything on

FM 1-02 (ADRP 1-02) Even dust off the old FM 101-5-1
FM 100-2-1
Study some Critical thinking Techniques
You can even study The old FM 34-130.
And boolean logic

Some are old and outdated but you can still take away from it. build on doctrine and have a great foundation and them move on to those advanced books in the beginning of this tread.

Plus it will help that young LT reach out to the old and crusty CWOs.

just my .02
Fixed that for you fella.

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 14:01   #41
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbour13 View Post
Fixed that for you fella.
Haha

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 06-26-2014, 14:04   #42
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Well from what I hearing, I guess we DO need to dust off the 100 and 101 series FMs. I guess irregular warfare is gone because some big Heads see conventional battles being the future.

Freaking really! !!

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 10-28-2014, 13:26   #43
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Great book on how to write for Intelligence audiences.

Communicating With Intelligence: Writing and Briefing in the Intelligence and National Security Communities

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 12-03-2014, 20:16   #44
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

This is a list and the first four books are great and a most for intelligence personal.

The series is called Security and Professional Intelligence Education Series (SPIES).

https://rowman.com/Action/SERIES/RL/SPIES

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 12-22-2014, 08:10   #45
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Decision Analysis for the Professional

Decision Analysis for the Professional

Good read for Intel guys that have to write for developing decision related to risk analysis and answering "SO WHAT" on Intelligence.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Decision-Analysis-for-the-Professional.pdf (1.25 MB, 39 views)

COLONEL BULL SIMONS