Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 06-15-2010, 06:05   #361
PR31C
Guerrilla

Been There Discussed That

Quote:
looks pretty awesome
Looks like JJ_BPK'S Post
"A politician sees his family everyday; a deployed soldier once in 6 months or a year. A politician flies 1st class; a soldier flies in a C130. A politician's pension is not reduced; a soldier's is clawed 65%. A politician enjoys an expense account; a soldier must justify extra rations. A politician vows to defend their country; a soldier actually keeps that promise."

"Beware of fake quotes on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln.
PR31C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:49   #362
charlietwo
Quiet Professional

At one point during SOPC, I lost my pencil in a draw and needed something to write with on my point sheet -- I grabbed a pine tree twig, shaved off the end to a point and took a lighter to it, charring it slightly and making a "pencil". Worked like a charm.

Not very impressive, but it made me happy. I even kept the "pencil" and gave it to my parents as a souvenir
charlietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 23:25   #363
BirdStuff
Asset

Can't express how hilarious/informative this thread is. Did a search for this on these forums and was actually shocked nobody had posted it yet.

http://www.instructables.com/

Great user submitted do it yourself site. Great resource for ideas and gadgets.
BirdStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 13:53   #364
Nystagmus
Asset

Cool Redneck Air conditioner

While I was deployed to Iraq in 2003, I dismantled a water fountain and took out the water cooling coils and compressor, as one. I then assembled them in a box so that I could have a fan blow through the coils and out through a corrugated hose our sleeping area. It worked well for about a week, and then the compressor gave out, and it was back to the heat.

It also works better if you keep the area to be cooled minimal (in sq ft) and partitioned from the rest of the building.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 18:48   #365
PSM
Area Commander

Getting unstuck

I have to remember this one:

Link

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 20:53   #366
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Antenna booster

So, the boss pays some big bucks for a GPS system that has a cell phone based communications modem...and since I tend to work alone in Wyoming, I get the system...where cell phone coverage is often poor...and today, I had to stake an oil well down in some very low ground...if I stood on the hood of the truck, I got a signal sufficiently strong to survey with...if I didn't, well, no signal...so I said to my self, "Self..."

The cell phone is in a belt holster on top of the striped rod...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00008-20110224-1126.jpg (50.7 KB, 227 views)
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 00:31   #367
lonetlan
Asset

I got one...

Last year there was a snow storm. My buddy and I were helping people out of snowy ditches and generally being nice in his Ford Bronco 4x4. We had a hard time getting a truck out of a deep ditch; Radiator developed a hole. All we had were some sandwiches, mustard, two gallons of water. I used water to fill up the radiator and mustard to plug the hole by squeezing the mustard into the radiator. Everyone thought it wouldn't work... Been working since.

Last edited by lonetlan; 09-03-2011 at 00:32. Reason: Spelling was off a little.
lonetlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 14:52   #368
mark46th
Quiet Professional

It's a wonder anyone on this thread lived past their 25th birthday...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 16:04   #369
DesertRat
Asset

Most everybody knows how to get broken bolt out that broke off flush with the threads with a washer, nut and a welder. But when they break off below the threads I use a small pipe nipple. Place the pipe as centered as you can with rod already inside the pipe. When you get everything seated push the stinger forward and weld out. Let it cool and grab it with a pipe wrench and pull it out. If that does not work after a couple of tries you need to drill it out with a left handed bit.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 16:02   #370
Jefe
Auxiliary

How to Dig in Ultra Quick!

My 1SG in Panama showed us this one:

If you are digging in to a defense and speed is more important that surprise (like if they already know you're there), have everyone move in after the leaders recon/crew served weapons and scrape out the size and shape of the position at least 6 inches down if you can.

Pull back to the ORP leaving the demos there and drop a bangalore into each position, tamp it and set up your ring main and blow. Have demo team repeat again and you occuppy and scoop out your new foxhole. From there, if you need to clear field of fire, the bangalore is your friend. Put few together and push them down your primary sector of fire and let the demo teams do there thing.

Others:

Using cheap cell phones with group setting for text message security alerts in real time reporting

For those fancy nights when you have some wine at the team house, cut water bottles in half, point cap down. You now have proper goblets
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 14:26   #371
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

This one is slightly less spectacular than some previously posted, but useful(in my case at least):

I have a tree on my property which is slowly dying and some large upper limbs have broken off and fallen onto the lower ones, getting caught, and just waiting for some high winds to break free and wreak havoc. Many of them were in positions unreachable by an extension ladder and the neighboring branches were too weak to support a person, so, enter about 30 feet of PVC electrical conduit, some 550 cord and a stick. The conduit comes in 10 foot sections, I connected three of them, fed the 550 cord through the conduit and tied the stick at the other end. PVC conduit is pretty light, but rigid enough to handle, and I was able to maneuver the stick into the V of said stuck branches and pull them down.
Old 03-09-2012, 13:15   #372
ODA CDR (RET)
Quiet Professional

Oldies but goodies..

here's a few for the youngsters.

Learned this one in the big house, (younger years).
Collect as many as you can find filtered cigarette butts. Remove the outer paper until you have only the fiberglass portion. Rip them open and lay them on something very flat, in a long 2"-3" wide and 4"-6" long, letting them overlap each other. Then set the pile on fire and wait till it becomes a blob. Than lay something flat on top of it to put it out. What you are left with is a piece of hard plastic. Can be shaped and sharpened on the sidewalk and wrapped for stabbing or placed length wise in a bar of soap for slicing.

If your ever stuck with a dead battery in a standard tranny vehicle, you can jump start it by jacking it up and wrapping a tow strap around the drive wheel and pulling like your starting a lawnmower. Helps with two jamokes pulling.

If you ever find yourself fishing for Peacock Bass in Lake Gatun, you can use a 1" piece of Burger King straw. Cut the straw, feed it onto the line then tie your hook and let the straw slide down to the hook. Happy fishing.
USA Ranger Assoc. Life member #LRR4625
DAV Life Member Chapter #46
"The 1000"
ODA CDR (RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 13:29   #373
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODA CDR (RET) View Post
If your ever stuck with a dead battery in a standard tranny vehicle, you can jump start it by jacking it up and wrapping a tow strap around the drive wheel and pulling like your starting a lawnmower. Helps with two jamokes pulling.
Why not have the other jamoke push you while you sit inside and mind the clutch?

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 03-09-2012, 13:38   #374
ODA CDR (RET)
Quiet Professional

Sometimes your in sand and thats even too hard for a steely eyed jamoke!
USA Ranger Assoc. Life member #LRR4625
DAV Life Member Chapter #46
"The 1000"
ODA CDR (RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 14:00   #375
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODA CDR (RET) View Post
Sometimes your in sand and thats even too hard for a steely eyed jamoke!
Ah! I read it as "stuck with a dead battery" rather than stuck "and" a dead battery. Poor jamokes, what else could happen, a flat tire?

Pat