Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 04-22-2012, 08:12   #31
Destrier
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYPatriot View Post
TS- I already found a bank for Dusty and literally stumbled upon this one for you and anyone else that ever had a bad experience with BofA. Once upon a time, I banked (for lack of a better term) with them, too.

Your new BofA

Thought Dusty used his mattress.
Enlightenment comes with age. In SF we cannot wait for aged enlightenment to be successful. We need to be successful now. This means hunt out education, seek advice from experts, become an expert, and never stop learning. Never let your ego keep you from asking questions! Pass on your knowledge! (Pistol Pete)
Destrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:28   #32
Sarski

For anyone that uses a credit union, or is contemplating the switch to a credit union, one of the great services they offer is called "shared branching," in which the CUs are all network branched yogether.

The advantage here is that you can access your account and take care of all your banking/credit union needs at just about any other credit union.

So, for instance, if I am with Navy Federal Credit Union, but I go on vacation to a city that does not have Navy Federal, but does have an Intouch, or a Small Town CU (I made that one up) or any other CU, chances are high that they will offer shared services between differing branches.

Not all CUs are set up for this, but a majority across the nation do offer shared branching. You will have to check with your CU (or the one you are planning on joining), and of course the one you may be using while not at your home CU. Just ask if they offer shared services or shared branching.

There are limits, such as withdraw max of $500 per day, and you can't open or close your account at a shared branch (you have to visit your home CU for that).

Last edited by Sarski; 04-22-2012 at 09:33.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51   #33
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrier View Post
Thought Dusty used his mattress.
You have a very valid point. I'm sure there's some safety deposit boxes (coffee cans) scattered around his property, too.
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:16   #34
Richard
Quiet Professional

Their bank - their option.

My family and most of the ranchers/farmers in the area where I grew up in NorCal banked with BofA throughout the 50s-60s - then things began to change and, as they expanded, they became more 'corporate' and less 'regional' or 'personal' in their SOP which did not sit well with those who took a more personal approach to who they dealt with when it came to their finances.

My family left BofA in the mid70s and moved all of their accounts (which included a decent chunk of $$) to a local community bank with strong ties to the farming/ranching community and who better understood their personal needs.

I still ascribe to that philosophy.

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:53   #35
Richard
Quiet Professional

Bump.

Although I don't use BofA for the reasons I've previously stated, BofA has posted this on their official FB page after receiving a number of inquiries about the McMillan statement.

Quote:
We want to let you know that we hear your comments and questions regarding one of our customers. While we cannot discuss the details of any individual client we work with, we can assure you the allegations being made here are completely false. Bank of America does not have a policy that prohibits us from banking clients in this industry. In fact, we have numerous, longstanding customers in the industry.

We are also extremely proud of our support of the US military and reject any assertion to the contrary. We count as clients many companies that provide for our nation's defense. We employ thousands of veterans, Guardsmen, and Reservists, and plan to increase our hiring this year.
Hmmmmm...

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:34   #36
KimuraFTW
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Bump.

Although I don't use BofA for the reasons I've previously stated, BofA has posted this on their official FB page after receiving a number of inquiries about the McMillan statement.

Hmmmmm...

And so it goes...

Richard
It seems, as always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle...
KimuraFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:28   #37
koz
Quiet Professional

I use BOFA for my checking. I started looking for a new bank after this McMillan thing. I hoped it was overblown but this statement by them seems like it's just damage control. Somewhat like a politician saying he "misspoke."

Why not put "the gun / firearms industry" in the message? Ray Fox should put out a statement saying this is not true and offer accounts for other gun industry businesses. But just because there is no "official policy" doesn't mean they don't support 2A industry.

I'm still looking for a new bank.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:05   #38
Sarski

That letter on FB is pure BS. They hire veterans? What company that large doesn't? They plan to hire more? Is that to replace the ones that were culled in their layoffs during the last six months? The last two years?

No policy in place just means there is nothing to prevent them from doing what they did. I have a policy that I don't drink and drive, that doesn't mean that I've never done it.

On top of it all they don't really address the specific issue anyway. Just another great example of a bank trying to be freindly and on our side, as I stated in my first post in this thread.

Last edited by Sarski; 04-24-2012 at 09:09.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:11   #39
KimuraFTW
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarski View Post
That letter on FB is pure BS. They hire veterans? What company that large doesn't? They plan to hire more? Is that to replace the ones that were culled in their layoffs during the last six months? The last two years?

No policy in place just means there is nothing to prevent them from doing what they did. I have a policy that I don't drink and drive, that doesn't mean that I've never done it.

On top of it all they don't really address the specific issue anyway. Just another great example of a bank trying to be freindly and on our side, as I stated in my first post in this thread.
Wait...are you telling us that Bank of America can't be trusted?!
KimuraFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:20   #40
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

I call BS because during the great firearms debacle lead by libs and Nancy jerk off, they came out against Fire Arms Manufacturers at that time. They stated in a letter that they could no longer support those accounts.

Since this is a great California Institution, my guess is that they were following Pelosi and the Libs and got bit.

I will try to find the original statement, but my google fo is week.

I would love to stick this in someones ear and eye.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:38   #41
MR2
Quiet Professional

Bank of Illegals

Wasn't everybody already boycotting "Bank of Illegals" for providing free banking and services to so-called "undocumented aliens"?

Bank of America's New Credit Card Targets Illegal Immigrants

Even Snopes

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil

Last edited by MR2; 04-24-2012 at 09:44. Reason: Added Links
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:13   #42
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

This site may be of interest to some of you. If you're curious like me, you could spend quite a bit of time determining where businesses align with your personal choices by searching for them on this site. It could surprise you where some firms or individuals stand. If you wish to view how much is being spent by a particular firm for a particular cause (lobbying funds), then this is your microscope. You'll find a gargantuan amount of data here.

Bank of America

Obama
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 13:35   #43
Pericles
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I was with Ft. Sam Houston National Bank for many years before they were absorbed by BoA into a branch called BoA Military Banking.

They kept most of the FSH policies and are a lot less expensive to use than the main BoA.

At the same time, I also use a military credit union for my mortgage, credit cards, auto loans, checking, and savings.

The reason we kept the BoA account open was the sheer number of branches that we can use to cash checks, pay bills, etc.

I am wondering now if we really need that convenience.

TR

That was my experience until a few years ago. None of the people I knew are still there, and policies creep closer and closer to the rest of BoA.

I left and haven't looked back. Ft. Sam Bank is now just a fond memory and was the best bank ever.
Old 04-24-2012, 14:12   #44
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

Had a BoA credit card some years back, they routinely lost online payments and screwed up interest calculations, dumped the card as soon as I could, and never looked back. Currently with Chase and quite happy with them...
Old 04-24-2012, 15:28   #45
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by afchic View Post
It is a little hypocritical of them for other reasons. Funny BOA doesn't mind being the company providing DOD with our travel cards. Wish I didn't have to support them, but unfortunately it is DOD policy thatvwe have to use the card to at least purchase our airline tickets and rental cars while TDY.
I've been employed by Uncle Sugar for almost a decade as a civilian and Soldier. DoD doesn't use BofA anymore to my knowledge. They switched companies years ago, at least in this neck of the woods (DC Metro). I wonder if there is any correlation due to BofA's past "misspeakings".

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote