Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 7th Special Forces Group

Old 03-23-2007, 10:15   #1
Intel_Airman
Guerrilla

Progress in Colombia (hostage situation)

Well, in an earlier post I said this wouldn't happen; but looks like some progress is being made. Hopefully, we can bring Keith, Marc, and Thomas home soon.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americ...eut/index.html

Colombia backs hostage-swap plan from U.S. lawmakers
POSTED: 4:08 p.m. EDT, March 22, 2007
Story Highlights• Colombian government wants to exchange 61 hostages for imprisoned guerrillas
• The two sides have yet to agree on terms for starting talks
• Seven U.S. lawmakers have offered to witness future negotiations with FARC
• Colombian negotiator says lawmakers' offer could help cinch prisoner swap

Adjust font size:
BOGOTA, Colombia (Reuters) -- An offer from U.S. lawmakers to witness negotiations to free 61 hostages, including three Americans, held for years by Colombian rebels could help clinch a prisoner swap, Colombia said Thursday.

The Colombian government wants to exchange 61 politicians and other high-profile hostages held in secret jungle camps for an unspecified number of Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia guerrillas in government prisons. But the two sides have yet to agree on terms for starting talks.

Seven U.S. House of Representatives members wrote a letter to Colombia earlier this month offering to accompany any future negotiations with the 17,000-member rebel army known by its Spanish initials FARC.

"The most important thing is the offer from these Congress members to go to the negotiation zone as guarantors. We believe this could help give confidence to the FARC, which has always been afraid to enter talks," Colombian peace negotiator Luis Carlos Restrepo told local radio on Thursday.

The FARC, concerned for the safety of its negotiators, wants Colombia to withdraw government troops from a rural area nearly the size of New York City to negotiate the exchange.

President Alvaro Uribe says he is considering the idea but may instead try to rescue the kidnap victims, an option rejected by families of the hostages as too risky.

U.S. defense contractors Thomas Howes, Keith Stansell and Marc Gonsalves were captured after their plane crashed in the jungle during a drug-eradication mission in 2003.

The FARC also is holding French-Colombian national Ingrid Betancourt, taken during her 2002 presidential campaign.

"I believe the way to reunite these families is through an exchange," Rep. James McGovern, D-Massachusetts, told Reuters. "If we can do that, it could be a step toward other talks aimed at bringing an end to the conflict."

The 61 hostages are but a few of the estimated 3,170 kidnap victims held by the FARC, other rebel groups and common criminals in Colombia, according to government figures.

The guerrillas were organized in the 1960s to force land reforms and other measures meant to close the wide gap that separates rich and poor in the Andean country. They fund their operations with extortion, kidnapping for ransom, drug smuggling and contraband gasoline.

Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:54   #2
Intel_Airman
Guerrilla

Should I have posted this in the Latin America forums instead? My bad, please move it if so mods.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:48   #3
Neo
Asset

It's amazing to see how powerful the FARC is in Colombia.
Old 03-23-2007, 13:51   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The United States Government does not negotiate with terrorists. Period.

I am sorry to see that we appear to be helping another country do so.

I would prefer that we assist the Colombians with taking them back by force.

Not living there anymore, but the FARC appears to me to be weaker now than ever before.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 13:52   #5
FILO
Guerrilla

Without more specificity on the timeframe, I predict it will not happen until or unless FARC gives up the following demand:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel_Airman
The FARC, concerned for the safety of its negotiators, wants Colombia to withdraw government troops from a rural area nearly the size of New York City to negotiate the exchange.
Pastrana gave in on this demand for a DMZ and FARC abused it and he was forced to retake. I suspect Uribe will turn down this pre-condition.

Last edited by FILO; 03-23-2007 at 15:15.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote