Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:29   #766
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I'm done with "American Caesar" if anybody wants it...
Long but a very good read. I finished it a few years ago. Douglas MacArthur was a very complex and interesting individual.

I'm reading FM 23-10 Sniper Training right now. What the heck, I begged our Bn schools NCO to get me a slot but was unsuccessful. There's a lot of good information in it and it's helped with my pastime of long distance shooting.

Last edited by mojaveman; 05-29-2011 at 10:35.
Old 05-29-2011, 20:35   #767
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Just picked this up yesterday..

Pakistan: Terrorism Ground Zero by: Rohan Gunaratna and Khuram Iqbal

Review to follow........

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 05-29-2011, 22:52   #768
Requiem
Guerrilla Chief

A good read for Memorial Day

Fallen Warriors: The West Point Class of 1964 by John F. Murray. It's an anthology of the 24 WP grads from the class of '64 who lost their lives in battle.
Old 05-30-2011, 19:27   #769
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Manual of Physical Training, 1917 edition. It has added to it: "Lectures on the Organization of [B]Bayonet Fighting[/B]". Verrrrry interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1917_army__pt_manual.jpg (49.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 1917_army__pt_manual2.jpg (65.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 05-30-2011, 20:28   #770
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Manual of Physical Training, 1917 edition. It has added to it: "Lectures on the Organization of [B]Bayonet Fighting[/B]". Verrrrry interesting.
The old Army manuals are fun to read. I think that some of them were even better prepared, written, and edited than some of the newer ones I've seen. After my father passed away I cleaned out his garage and in addition to some other treasures I found TM 5-460 Carpentry and Building Construction dated April 1960. After reading it I became convinced that I could probably frame a house after never having done so. The old military training films on You Tube are fun to watch too.

Last edited by mojaveman; 05-30-2011 at 20:47.
Old 06-07-2011, 15:31   #771
Sigaba
Area Commander

C.P. Snow, The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution, The Rede Lecture, 1959 (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1961). The lecture, in PDF format, is available here.

Robert William Fogel, a prominent economist and historian, argues that this lecture was anticipated the "culture wars" of the twentieth century's last four decades.*

__________________________________________________ ________________
* Robert William Fogel, "Lecture 1: Breaking Away from the Phillips Tradition," in his The Slavery Debates, 1952-1990: A Retrospective, The Walter Lynwood Fleming Lectures in Southern History (Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 2003), pp. 20-21.
Old 06-07-2011, 16:00   #772
akv
Area Commander

Across the Fence By John Stryker Meyer

Memoirs of SOG missions in 1968 from CCN. A well written account of brave men, incredibly risky missions. The courage and loyalty of the Kingbees and "little people" is also gut wrenching. Read in one sitting.
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
Old 06-10-2011, 12:22   #773
Almualla
Asset

ABOUT FACE , By COL Hack.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:36   #774
mpb1335
Asset

No Angel by Jay Dobyns.

The firsthand account from the ATF agent who went undercover with the Hell's Angels.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:48   #775
uplink5
Quiet Professional

The new Ranger Handbook

Yes, I need a life....

Thomas Jefferson

"The scene changes but the aspirations of men of good will persist."

Vannevar Bush
Old 06-12-2011, 11:11   #776
BKKMAN
Quiet Professional

Fermat's Enigma: The Epic Quest to Solve the World's Greatest Mathematical Problem; The Music of the Primes: Searching to Solve the Greatest Mystery in Mathematics; Rock, Paper, Scissors: Game Theory in Everyday Life; and the Stieg Larsson series.

On deck: Shibumi; Satori; Thinking Strategically: The Competitive Edge in Business, Politics, and Everyday Life; and Notes of a Russian Sniper

It is not inequality which is the real misfortune, it is dependence. Voltaire

Last edited by BKKMAN; 06-12-2011 at 11:13.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:31   #777
Richard
Quiet Professional

Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds - Charles Mackay, 1851. The 100+ pages on the History vs myth of the Crusades makes this a worthwhile read.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 06-13-2011, 18:30   #778
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaba View Post
C.P. Snow, The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution, The Rede Lecture, 1959 (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1961). The lecture, in PDF format, is available here.

Robert William Fogel, a prominent economist and historian, argues that this lecture was anticipated the "culture wars" of the twentieth century's last four decades.*

__________________________________________________ ________________
* Robert William Fogel, "Lecture 1: Breaking Away from the Phillips Tradition," in his The Slavery Debates, 1952-1990: A Retrospective, The Walter Lynwood Fleming Lectures in Southern History (Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 2003), pp. 20-21.
Great find, Sigaba.

Skimmed it during available time.
Definitely going to bring the flash drive back and grab this one.

The observations at the beginning of the article were excellent.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
Old 06-15-2011, 13:33   #779
pjody187
Asset

The Profession by Steven Pressfield
"I will persist until I succeed. Always will I take another step. If that is of no avail I will take another, and yet another. In truth one step at a time is not to difficult. I know that small attempts , repeated, will complete any undertaking."

- Og Mandino
Old 06-16-2011, 03:05   #780
greenlight
Asset

Dead Ground - infiltrating the IRA, by Raymond Gilmour

Editorial Reviews
Product Description
This is the story of a man who spent eight years as an undercover police agent inside the IRA. The account he provides of life with the Provisionals is of a dark and claustrophobic world, of an iron grip which they hold over their own communities - a grip as tight and vicious as any Mafia stranglehold - and of a ruthless and cynical disregard for human life. Gilmour tells of corruption and double-standards that see young volunteers knee-capped for petty theft, while the high-ups steal with impunity; and of the life of a man trapped in no-man's-land, in a dirty war in which both the IRA and the security forces exploit children trapped in dead-end estates.
An interesting read, one good part was when they tried to hijack a car with an SAS man inside, you can guess how that went...
Closed Thread