Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 03-04-2007, 01:28   #1
TheRider
Asset

The template for my first knife.

Ok as some of you may know i have been in the process of designing a knife. Well i finally got the design the way i want it and have made the template. I have added pictures to show the template.

I really would like to thank Mr. Harsey for his help, encouragement and inspiration. And Mr. The Reaper and Mr. Ambush Master for their opinions.

And cant wait till i finish the knife.

~Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic2a.jpg (26.5 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg pic1a.jpg (59.7 KB, 207 views)
TheRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:36   #2
Kyobanim

Cool! I've been wanting to see the process of making a knife. Please keep us informed. Good luck!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 20:05   #3
chance
Guerrilla Chief

Looks good, I'm also learning to make knives from two former SFers.
chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 22:18   #4
chance
Guerrilla Chief

Heres one of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCF0001.JPG (47.4 KB, 220 views)
Old 03-04-2007, 22:50   #5
TheRider
Asset

That is hella nice looking.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:48   #6
chance
Guerrilla Chief

Its a fighter with 61/2'' blade, the blade is damascus steel the finger guard is nickel silver and the handle is black marcarta. Oh and at this time there is no sheath for it I haven't leaned to work leather yet.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:05   #7
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim
Cool! I've been wanting to see the process of making a knife. Please keep us informed. Good luck!
What you will be seeing is how someone with no previous experience tries to make a knife.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:12   #8
TheRider
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
What you will be seeing is how someone with no previous experience tries to make a knife.
Hopefully i will be able to make one. I know if i need help i can ask the Master Bladesmith around.

Last edited by TheRider; 03-05-2007 at 10:47.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:25   #9
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thumbs down Wrong answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRider
Try is not in my vocabulary. Well it is but not when it comes to accoplishing something. I will, I've got the determination to get it done. And Quit or Give Up arnt in my vocabulary either.
Probably one of the less thought out responses I have seen in awhile. Perhaps you ought to rethink your approach and post it accordingly. I have a distinct feeling that your definition of "knife" and Mr. Harsey's definition, of the same, are two distinctly different entities.
Do not confuse "general familiarity" with someone with being able to be disrespectful. Even if that wasn't your intent...
Mr. Harsey deserves more than that.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:34   #10
TheRider
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US
Probably one of the less thought out responses I have seen in awhile. Perhaps you ought to rethink your approach and post it accordingly. I have a distinct feeling that your definition of "knife" and Mr. Harsey's definition, of the same, are two distinctly different entities.
Do not confuse "general familiarity" with someone with being able to be disrespectful. Even if that wasn't your intent...
Mr. Harsey deserves more than that.

Eagle
I didnt intend for my post to come across as disrespectful at all. And if it did I am sorry.

Mr. Harsey I didn't mean for my post to sound disrespectful. If it did i am sorry about that.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:36   #11
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Try is not in my vocabulary. Well it is but not when it comes to accoplishing something. I will, I've got the determination to get it done. And Quit or Give Up arnt in my vocabulary either.
Rider-
Do you know who Mr Harsey is? Have you seen his designs? Have you ever held a Harsey designed knife in your hand? The illustrious knifesmith Harsey, IMHO, was making a point from experience, if you had deferred to him and asked nicely about his first attempts, he would have told his experiences with LEARNING what is and is not viable in the design and construction of a fine blade. and Mr Harsey ahs designed and constructed some of the finest blades I have ever had the pleasure to view and/or use.

Apologize quickly and request guidance from William W. Harsey, MASTER BLADESMITH.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:46   #12
TheRider
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med
Rider-
Do you know who Mr Harsey is? Have you seen his designs? Have you ever held a Harsey designed knife in your hand? The illustrious knifesmith Harsey, IMHO, was making a point from experience, if you had deferred to him and asked nicely about his first attempts, he would have told his experiences with LEARNING what is and is not viable in the design and construction of a fine blade. and Mr Harsey ahs designed and constructed some of the finest blades I have ever had the pleasure to view and/or use.

Apologize quickly and request guidance from William W. Harsey, MASTER BLADESMITH.
Mr. x SF med,
When i first started this project, Mr. Harsey was the first person I asked for guidance from. I pm'd Mr. Harsey the first day I decided on doing this project for machine shop and asked for his guidance on this, because I have no knowledge on making knives like he does. I have the utmost respect for Mr. Harsey, because i have held one of his designs in my hand. It may not have been a "Harsey Custom" but it was one of the designs he did for Gerber Gear. And even the production knives felt better than any knife i had held before. But yes i understand who Mr. Harsey is.

~Chris
Old 03-05-2007, 11:01   #13
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Hopefully i will be able to make one. I know if i need help i can ask the Master Bladesmith around.
Yes you will make a knife. It is magic the first time we produce a hardened and tempered blade with an edge. I do not want to diminish that experience.
It is still your first knife and that's good news.

Please do yourself one favor, never part with that first knife and then after you've made your first 500 or so, please look at it again. You will have probably made some design and material changes by then.
Hopefully you will do better than my first few hundred knives.

I'm willing to see how this works out, especially if some Quiet Professional in the field, far away from home who might need to do this can learn something about making a knife here.

It's too late for me to post my first knife project, personal use computers and the internet didn't exist back then.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:50   #14
Kyobanim

Quote:
It's too late for me to post my first knife project, personal use computers and the internet didn't exist back then.
I can't believe that you didn't save the stone tablet you etched the design into.

I love a good setup.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:58   #15
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim
I can't believe that you didn't save the stone tablet you etched the design into.
I miss the fresh mastodon roasts too.