Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-28-2007, 23:14   #1
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

An unlikely gear complaint-my new G-Shock

I have always loved, and sworn by, my G-Shock watches for going to the field. They are nearly indestructable, relatively inexpensive and did what I needed it to do-keep the time.

At the end of previous deployments to various armpits of the world, I would leave my G-shock behind as a gift or momento to some LBG. I would generally choose someone who had done right by me or the team, done something extra-ordinary, or who I felt it would mean a great deal to either personally or professionally.

That being said-for this deployment I went out and bought myself a "new and improved" G-shock for $100 as well as a back-up; one of the "old" models for $40.

NEW Watch:
1.Set by SATELLITE : correct time, all the time. No fiddleing, but can be adjusted and set to whatever time you want it if you need an excuse for being late someplace.
2.SOLAR POWERED!: Never again will you have to worry about losing your battery in your time of need.
3.AUTO INDIGLO:Turn your wrist toward your body and you can set the indiglo to come on for 3 seconds. Nifty

My problem has CONSISTANTLY been with item number 2-the friggin SOLAR BATTERY. At least twice a month now I have looked at my watch and seen a blank screen, save for the flashing "batt low" block. At first it was a bit inconvenient, but this morning working with a trauma, I looked down to time my drug administration and there it was-the blank screen-again

The solar battery thing is a good idea until you consider the equipment we are working with in this environment.
-LONG SLEEVES all the time-covering the watch and preventing the Solar battery from re-charging.
-Gloves; usually ones that extend over the wrist (and the watch) if performing any operations off the FOB.

So, as my hundred dollar watch sits hidden (yet again) outside on the top of a T-barrier charging, I am wearing my trusty OLD manually set, battery run G-Shock, which will undoubtedly run for about the next 3-5 years without a hitch, burp or glitch.

Sometimes the latest ain't the greatest, and bells and whistles can be annoying lttle noise makers.

PA

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 00:45   #2
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

If you like it, just mount it on one of the molle attachment straps up high on your kit. look down, there you are.
TF Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:16   #3
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF Kilo
If you like it, just mount it on one of the molle attachment straps up high on your kit. look down, there you are.
Thank you Mr. Obvious. I do have just a wee bit of time doing "stuff" and do indeed have a timepiece dedicated to my MOLLE gear.

Suffice it to say that much of what I am currently doing (and my primary mission here) isn't / doesn't involve being in MOLLE gear while on my trauma bed.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 01-29-2007, 05:43   #4
Pete
Quiet Professional

G-Shocks

As a G-Shock wearer for many years I feel your pain.

Solar power is nice but, as you say, under "working conditions" something with solar power may come up short during operations.

Like 24hr, dual time and alarm the best. Anything else is gravy.

Pete

Who's G-Shock worked just fine this morning.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:09   #5
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US
Thank you Mr. Obvious. I do have just a wee bit of time doing "stuff" and do indeed have a timepiece dedicated to my MOLLE gear.

Suffice it to say that much of what I am currently doing (and my primary mission here) isn't / doesn't involve being in MOLLE gear while on my trauma bed.

Eagle

Ow, it stings Doc, it stings.

I'd offer help now, but you're already doing what I did. Perhaps that handy-dandy sat-time reception has something to do with it.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:56   #6
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US

Eagle
Oh, spank! That's gonna leave a mark.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:22   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The latest version of the Casio Pathfinder that I bought has the same solar power function.

At first, I was worried that the sleeves and indoor time would do it in, but in the year that I have had it, I have never seen it below full charge since the first week.

I agree the satellite function may suck down some juice.

I also find the tilt Indiglo function annoying and tactically unsound (as well as a battery killer), so I keep mine off.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:42   #8
Jgood
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper

I also find the tilt Indiglo function annoying and tactically unsound (as well as a battery killer), so I keep mine off.

TR
agreed with the battery killer part

also from the casio web site

it suggest 5 mins of direct sunlight or 50 mins of fluorescent light a day
I had the same problem so I would take my watch off when I shaved and sit it next to the light worked great for me.. just my .02
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:01   #9
Joe-Boo
Asset

Eagle5US

I have the Metal-G (all the features you mentioned).

Turn the auto-light off. Put watch in direct sunlight for 30 minutes. You should not have anymore issues.

Had mine for 3 years no issues...always full charge unless the auto light feature is on.

Suposedly, 6 minutes of direct sunlight is to keep the watch running 6 months if you don't press any buttons.

stay safe,
Joey
Joe-Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:40   #10
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

I never use the light thingy-after it woke me up the first night I disabled it.
Man...I'm beginning to think I got a bad watch...it takes 2 hours in direct to get "medium" on the charge indicator. Then it lasts about a month of "regular wear" before it dies again.

Maybe I'll send it back and see what the Casio gurus have to say.

Eagle

The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 01-29-2007, 11:53   #11
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Eagle,
Maybe someone will come up with sleeves and gloves that have clear "skylights" sewn in that fit over the watch.

Just trying to help.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:20   #12
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAAA

Thanks Bill-I needed that chuckle. Y'know, if I suggest it to the uniform board and they think it is a good idea, I'll split the money with you they give me as a reward

BTW-no problems with either of the TOOLS you provided me

Eagle

The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 01-30-2007, 07:45   #13
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
The latest version of the Casio Pathfinder that I bought has the same solar power function.

At first, I was worried that the sleeves and indoor time would do it in, but in the year that I have had it, I have never seen it below full charge since the first week.

I agree the satellite function may suck down some juice.

TR
The only thing I use the tilt sensor for is for wakeup out of sleep mode. Off, give'er a shake and wow, i have time.

*Kilo reading manual "Automatically senses arm position and enables light.. Yeah, that's a great idea" ^DISABLE^*

btw: Don't ever, ever break that watchband, if it's the same design as the old one... casio's the only supplier, and at least here they are hard to find in stores. I still have mine on my wrist, gunwired together because the pins gave out during an impromptu combatives demonstration.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:00   #14
hoepoe
Guerrilla

Hello all

I have had a g-shock for close to 7 years now, changed the battery once.

However on day 1 when i got it i went frolicking in the sea and watch in horror as my new watch filled with sea water and sand etc.

The folks at the factory apparently neglected to put the gasket in when closing once built.

Needless to say Casio changed it for a new watch no problem.

I also have a nice fancy to do Swiss watch, but simplu love wearing my G-shock, I saw some G's (Pathfinders) at ridiculously low prices at Bankok duty free...been kicking myself that i never got one, but i don't really need one anymore.

Hoepoe
hoepoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:26   #15
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Well...mine has been sitting in the sunlight for daylight hours of 2 days now....still shows only a medium charge.

Me thinks I got a bad apple...

Eagle

The Reaper-3 Sep 04