Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Professional Soldiers ® "Hall of Shame" > "Hall of Shame Inductees"

Old 07-02-2012, 17:21   #16
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post

Dusty,A poet!

Big Teddy
Think of me as a double rainbow, my friend.
Old 07-02-2012, 17:27   #17
Richard
Quiet Professional

Notice the absence of any mention of culpability on the reporter's part in not providing any sort of due diligence to ensure the original story she posted was accurate to begin with here.

Richard

Stolen valor?
DurangoHerald, 2 July 2012

A story that appeared on Page 4A of the Herald on Sunday contained a detailed account by Timothy Oliver of his time serving in Afghanistan. Since the story ran, numerous questions have been raised about accuracy of this account.

Specifically, knowledgeable readers found reason to doubt his service in the Army’s elite Delta Force.

Oliver, when reached by phone, said he could not provide any documentation to support his account or show that he had served in the military.

“You can run a retraction with my apologies if somebody was offended,” he said.

He maintained that he had served but said any evidence of it would be classified.

“I was trying to help people out, but I can’t prove this one,” he said.

Jonn Lilyea, a retired infantry platoon sergeant, spends much of his time looking for people who provide inaccurate accounts of their military service and exposing them on his blog http://thisainthell.us/blog.

Lilyea was among more than a dozen people, many retired military, who emailed the Herald raising concerns about Oliver’s account.

Lilyea said he dedicated himself to ferreting out fakes because they are more common than many people would believe.

“With the Stolen Valor Act struck down by the Supreme Court, that leaves private citizens to protect the honor of soldiers,” he wrote in an email. “I like to think of This Ain’t Hell as the stocks and dunking chairs of the veteran internet community where we can expose the frauds and folks can come by and throw metaphorical rotten tomatoes at them.”

The Stolen Valor Act, introduced by former Colorado congressman John Salazar, made it illegal to lie about receiving the Medal of Honor and other prestigious military recognitions.

The law was struck down recently by the U.S. Supreme Court, which pointed to the First Amendment right to freedom of speech.

Oliver did not claim to be the recipient of a medal.

Lilyea said the media should do a better job of policing accounts of military service. This includes asking vets to show their bona fides, such as a DD Form 214, which details service history and is issued to every member upon discharge.

Oliver, when asked for a copy of his DD Form 214, said he did not have one.

Lilyea said there is nothing offensive about asking for proof.

“I don’t mind showing my discharge – I’m proud of my service – and I’m sure most real veterans don’t mind. Only the phonies would object,” he said.

When asked to provide a copy to the Herald, he quickly sent the one-page document by email.

http://durangoherald.com/article/201...5/Stolen-valor
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 17:33   #18
head
Quiet Professional

Hahaha... I imagine this is the exact look every poser has when they make our hall of shame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poser.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	22504  
Old 07-02-2012, 18:18   #19
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Tim Oliver?????

Everything is "CLASSIFIED" that's the 1st clue.
No verification by the reporter, the editor or anyone at the newspaper?
Don't believe anything you read in "THE HERALD"
Regard's, TK
Old 07-03-2012, 06:34   #20
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Draft Notice.......

One way to get back at him........

Big Teddy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Draft Notice..............jpg
Views:	552
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	22514  
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:41   #21
csquare
Quiet Professional

I believe Mr Oliver has played way to much PS3 and sniffed more model glue than he can remember. What a POS......
I do not regret a day I spent in uniform—I’m immensely proud of my service. If I’ve learned anything, I’ve learned what a truly remarkable thing it is to be a combat veteran. Now I want to live an exceptional life for those who never made it home.
csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:05   #22
RB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by head View Post
Hahaha... I imagine this is the exact look every poser has when they make our hall of shame.
funny this!!

here's an on the mark movie reference: "True Lies" (those two could be trailer park twins) - (pardon the Arnie pun)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDLf4...eature=related

~D-6606~
RB is offline   Reply With Quote