Old 12-22-2011, 06:18   #1
33army
Guerrilla

Straight Razor

Today I inadvertently coerced.....yes, coerced is the word I'm looking for, Household 6 into divulging one of my Christmas gifts. Apparently I need a better shaving tool so she acquired a Dovo straight razor from a company called Vintage Blades LLC. http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/ Any thoughts on straight razor shaving? Aside from don't nick the jugular?

Pictures to follow
Old 12-22-2011, 14:35   #2
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

first of all, shame on you! what are you? an 8 year old dancing around in anticipation of Santa?

try finding a barber shop that can give you a a straight razor shave. they are popular in some areas. the experience is comparable to a pedicure for women. by that i mean that it is kind of self indulgent.

hot towels, oils and prep then the shave itself is interesting. you are putting complete trust in that barber not to slice you up.

as far as doing it yourself, it takes practice and is more time consuming than a few quick swipes while in the shower or using the electric while reading the morning paper.

American on the inside, useful on the outside
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 17:29   #3
JoeEOD
Asset

Vorpal blade

You better be awake when you shave now!
The closer the blade comes to perpendicular the more likely it is to cut you. Do not move the blade along the direction of the blade or it will slice you deeply. Dueling scars are long out of fashion (and are indicative of an inability to defend yourself)
Sharpening is key and stropping really does work well to refine a razor's edge.
Don't be surprised if your skin feels a little raw out in the cold air. You are getting a much closer shave now.
I had to give up my straight razor while on active duty because some fool thought it was a weapon - which was why I kept it in my shaving kit for those early morning brawls!

There is no problem that can’t be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.
JoeEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 17:57   #4
Dozer523
BANNED USER

This is a big mistake.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 18:08   #5
PSM
Area Commander

I was a shoe-shine boy in a barbershop when I was 12. The barbers regularly practiced shaving the cream off balloons. Good luck!

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 18:34   #6
33army
Guerrilla

Thanks guys.....I have 911 on speed dial. Ill let you know if I die.

Cat in the Hat: Been there done that...a few times and loved it. My wife was trying to be thoughtful so I can't give any funny comments. Battle scars are sure to follow.

And yes, I still have the cheaper razor for speed and a nice electric that she got me last year....maybe she is trying to tell me something....oh well, once more into the breach I suppose.
Old 12-22-2011, 18:46   #7
mojaveman
Area Commander

Do you know how to suture?

No thanks, I'll pass. I sometimes wonder if that isn't a lost art.

I like the scene in the old western where the cowboy cocks his .45 and puts it against the barbers stomach while he's getting a shave.

Last edited by mojaveman; 12-25-2011 at 12:26.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 19:16   #8
33army
Guerrilla

When I "discovered" what I was getting, I kept thinking of that Johnny Depp movie Sweeney Todd. No she doesnt know how to suture, she's an intel analyst with a degree in criminal justice.......so she knows the legal system.....oh hell....
Old 12-22-2011, 20:01   #9
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33army View Post

with a degree in criminal justice.......

so she knows the legal system.....

oh hell....
ruh roh....

You need to find a mentor,, an old style barber, that can show you the ins-n-outs of straight razors.

Good Luck..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 20:15   #10
33army
Guerrilla

I found an old barber here in Augusta that makes a pretty penny doing straight razor shaves to learn from. Should be interesting to say the least.
Old 12-22-2011, 22:33   #11
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
My wife was trying to be thoughtful so I can't give any funny comments. Battle scars are sure to follow.
And yes, I still have the cheaper razor for speed and a nice electric that she got me last year....maybe she is trying to tell me something.....
Maybe she's trying to kill you, you just didn't electocute yourself last year. Maybe?

Something to think about, especially, if she says, "Here, let me try."
Old 12-23-2011, 05:48   #12
33army
Guerrilla

That would explain waking up to her holding my Ka-Bar.......
Old 12-23-2011, 08:11   #13
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
That would explain waking up to her holding my Ka-Bar.......
SEE?!!!??
hard to make it look like an accident with a K-Bar.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:59   #14
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

I wet shave with an old style double edged razor. I would go there and forget the straight edge. As an old medic and having preped patients for surgery with the old medical straight razors, I can say with some authority that it is very easy to slip with one. As stated, and it is true with the double edged, do not let the razor slip along the edge line or the slice will be formidable. The3 most common place is the chin line where skin tension changes and allows the skin to slip under the blade causing anywhere from a nick to a very neat slice.

Have fun and pay attention when shaving. Your shaving time will at least double if not more using the straight edge. Get Shave Secret or similar prep oil before you put on your shave cream and get a shave stick so you can rub the cream on and then lather it up with a brush. This will scrub your face and make your skin slicker for the blade to move over. Alternatively look at the creams in tubes that you can use with a brush to bring up a lather, or even the cup soap at WalMart next to the Shave Secret. The cup soap can also be rub on the face and lathered or lather in a cup for the soap.

At the web site you can find all sorts of info on these items and more on the web for wet shaving and good luck.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:04   #15
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Accept the gift with many thanks, and then simply carry it "in your shoe" like
"Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" of Jim Croce fame. Tell her you'll use it for self-defense purposes and don't want to dull it by actually shaving with it.